Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

This post has been deleted.

UB charged you for your DEBIT/ATM card on the 31st of December, they will charge you on the 1st of April for your CREDIT card.

Allyall wrote: »
    When do the charges come into effect?

The new AGB (Terms & Conditions) come into effect on 21 March 2016, that includes the price list which show the Irish Stamp Duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I've always been charged on the 31st of December.

Anyway, I assume some mistake has been made as this is a debit card and we should only be charged up to €5 per year for it. Revenue, or Number26 ballsed it up and I wouldn't be surprised to see it changed soon enough.

Before you go and close your account remember that in Germany once you close a bank account, you can't rejoin that bank. So if the issue is sorted out you can't sign up again. I think there's a 2 month period where you can cancel without Stamp Duty applying so I'm going to hold out for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Having said all that, I think it's extremely poor form that they haven't reached out to us about this. An email or a push notification would be the simplest thing in the world for them to send but they haven't. Not to mention that there is no reliable way to get in touch with them.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Having said all that, I think it's extremely poor form that they haven't reached out to us about this. An email or a push notification would be the simplest thing in the world for them to send but they haven't. Not to mention that there is no reliable way to get in touch with them.

Actually I got an e-mail about the new AGB (Terms & Conditions) which is why I noticed it and raised it here.

It also popped up on their twitter feed (in German) as one of the 2 changes they have done to the AGB.

But it seams that several people did not get the e-mail about the new AGB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I imagine this card is processed as a credit card by merchants and this allows No26 provide it at such low cost, but puts it a certain category with Revenue.

Actually I got an e-mail about the new AGB (Terms & Conditions) which is why I noticed it and raised it here.

It also popped up on their twitter feed (in German) as one of the 2 changes they have done to the AGB.

But it seams that several people did not get the e-mail about the new AGB.

Yeah I just had a double check and saw no email from them. As for the Tweet it's nice if you speak German, but for the French, Italian, etc. customers it's not much benefit!

One of the first things I did when I signed up was look for the @Number26_EN account on Twitter, but no such luck. Seems to be one account that mixes German and English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html

Will Number26 issue a letter of closure? Will Irish Banks accept it if they do?

The Irish Government are supposed to be encouraging us to become a cashless society. With all this carry on I'm seriously thinking off going back to cash for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

I used the card on British Airways to buy flights and they classified the card as Mastercard Debit. I had selected Mastercard at the payment stage.

Yeah, someone else on here said they weren't charged the ryanair credit card fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

'there will be an answer"
    So I'm hiring a car in Malaga on the 9 Feb. I have a regular AIB credit card, which I would normally use and they would put a stop of around €800 for eventual damages as I don't take their excess insurance offered at the desk.

So I put € 1,000 on me Number26 card and offer it at the desk. If they refuse I could ask them to put in writing,, why?

Could be a great card for people who want to hire cars and can't get a regular credit card :D

MODS: There's a parallel thread in "Bargains"can u do anything to unify, ta

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Does that €30 cover both the credit card and credit account charges? Apologies, I've only moved to Ireland in recent years and never had a credit card here so unaware of the charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

im still waiting on my card after 8 working days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

ahbell wrote: »
    Does that €30 cover both the credit card and credit account charges? Apologies, I've only moved to Ireland in recent years and never had a credit card here so unaware of the charges.

A breakdown of all the charges here

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/leaflets/stamp-duty-financial-cards.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

So I'm right in thinking the tax we have to pay on a Number26 account is €60p/a? €30 for the card and €30 for the account?

ahbell wrote: »
    So I'm right in thinking the tax we have to pay on a Number26 account is €60p/a? €30 for the card and €30 for the account?

According to most users there should be no stamp duty only ATM withdraw tax as it's working as a debit card.

However number26 is of the opinion that's it a credit card and hence stamp duty applies, but it's only 30€.

The revenue page is slightly confusing because most people say it's per card when revenue points out it's for the underlying credit account not card.

• Advertisement

You can have 4 cards on the same credit card account and you still pay €30 in total. Your credit limit would be shared amongst the four people of course.

Number26 have this €30 charge all wrong.I hope they correct it to the 12 cent charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Its a credit card (with no credit facility) with debit card features. You could argue the toss as to whether the blanket €30 or 12c per ATM transaction should apply.
    They should make the Maestrocard that their German and Austrian customers can get available to us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Just off chat with N26. They said "We are checking that right now to make sure that everything is correct. As soon as there is something new we will inform our customers." Sounds like they have heard the feedback, hopefully this is sorted soon. I know "credit card" is more all-encompassing in German lingo, so perhaps this error is due to a simple translation issue on their side.

I hope they realise they have made a mistake. €30 is wrong -fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Whatever about the rights/wrongs of Number26 applying the 30 euro charge, the fact that Ireland is the only country (of the ones they serve) that required a note on Revenue Service costs is a bit "Really, Ireland, really?".:(

• Advertisement

curiosity wrote: »
    Whatever about the rights/wrongs of Number26 applying the 30 euro charge, the fact that Ireland is the only country (of the ones they serve) that required a note on Revenue Service costs is a bit "Really, Ireland, really?".:(

"We need to make xx amount by year xxxx. Anyone, any ideas? Any ideas at all?"

"Tax EVERYTHING!. Anything that's already taxed... TAX SOME MORE!!"

"We need to make xx amount by year xxxx. Anyone, any ideas? Any ideas at all?"

"Tax EVERYTHING!. Anything that's already taxed... TAX SOME MORE!!"

and while we tax everything make sure we invent some methods of taxing which protect our shares in the banks so that any possible company trying to get our customers has major challenges entering the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can we get back on topic folks? The rights and wrongs of stamp duty are not for this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Number26 now have 100,000 customers. More here: https://number26.eu/1-year-old-100-000-customers-strong/

Does anyone have an email address for someone senior in Number26 that we could all email about the tax issue?

JTMan wrote: »
    Number26 now have 100,000 customers. More here: https://number26.eu/1-year-old-100-000-customers-strong/

Does anyone have an email address for someone senior in Number26 that we could all email about the tax issue?

The CEOs is valentin.stalf@number26.de.

I don't think we all need to email anyone. Do we?

It's only been a couple of days, I'm sure they are aware of it, and may be looking into it. Seeing as any charge probably won't happen until the end of March, we could easily give them a week or so to to and fro with Revenue and publish something on their Site or Twitter.

I don't think we all need to email anyone. Do we?

It's only been a couple of days, I'm sure they are aware of it, and may be looking into it. Seeing as any charge probably won't happen until the end of March, we could easily give them a week or so to to and fro with Revenue and publish something on their Site or Twitter.

If we hadn't emailed or got in touch they wouldn't have known anything was wrong. I'm still not sure how things are going to turn out but from some posts in the other thread it looks like they've gone from the "charges are staying" and "close your account then" to "We're working on it" due to complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/law/notes-for-guidance/stamp-duty/2014/part9-levies.pdf

(in relation to credit card/debit card/ATM card stamp duties)
    Because the duty is a stamp duty other appropriate provisions of this Act apply, in particular:

section 14(3) which enables the Revenue Commissioners to mitigate penalties
    payable in respect of late payment of duty,
    section 126B which enables an appeal against an assessment to duty (the internal review procedures set out in Statement of Practice SP-GEN/2/99 (Revised January 2005) also apply), and
    section 152 which enables the Revenue Commissioners to refund duty in certain circumstances – but see also section 159A as regards the time limit for making a refund claim and section 159B as regards interest that may be payable on such refunds.

Think bits of it have been amended since but section 152 is a real doozy
    152.—When any person has inadvertently used for an instrument liable to duty a stamp of greater value than was necessary, or has inadvertently used a stamp for an instrument not liable to any duty, the Commissioners may, on application made within 6 years after the date of the instrument, or, if it is not dated, within 6 years after the execution of the instrument by the person by whom it was first or alone executed, and on the instrument, if liable to duty, being stamped with the proper duty, cancel and allow as spoiled the stamp so misused.

No wonder the germans got confused

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

I asked for clarification on their Facebook page yesterday and they replied today. They said: "We are on it to clarify the issue".

So something is moving and we will have news soon hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

pasquale83 wrote: »
    I asked for clarification on their Facebook page yesterday and they replied today. They said: "We are on it to clarify the issue".

So something is moving and we will have news soon hopefully.

Good Stuff, they need to be seen to sort this quickly as they need to protect the brand from a sticky start.

They updated the price list, it's now €5 p.a.

So it looks like that asking publicly has an effect :)

Do you have a link? At this one: https://number26.eu/support/really-costs/ they still have the 30 euro p.a. fee

Do you have a link? At this one: https://number26.eu/support/really-costs/ they still have the 30 euro p.a. fee

Here it is. I went looking for the old one and it was taken down, so I went through the terms and found the link to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Here's the link with €5

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Thanks Lads, but I still don't think it is correct. Didn't they introduced a 0.12 euro fee per ATM cash withdrawal in the last budget? Why a 5 euro lump sum?

Thanks Lads, but I still don't think it is correct. Didn't they introduced a 0.12 euro fee per ATM cash withdrawal in the last budget? Why a 5 euro lump sum?

You're right but it's something at least. They changed this pretty quick once people noticed so hopefully they'll be quick about it again.

Never mind that the 5€ is wrong too, as it's now the ATM Withdraw tax, however it's good to see that they changed their mind.

Possible complaining to Wirecard (which should know this as they issue cards to Irish Residents in multiple programs for various companies) and to the CEO helped.

But it's still worrying that they would do such a big error in the first place, not communicate correctly and honestly about it.

At present, I can't recommend them to be honest and in fact, if I could, I would modify my initial post in this thread to reflect that.

• Advertisement

You're right but it's something at least. They changed this pretty quick once people noticed so hopefully they'll be quick about it again.

I am curious on how they made the change. Did they go to have a look on the Revenue website and didn't find the updated information? Or what?

I mean, I supposed they officially contacted Revenue which should communicate them the latest rules, not an obsolete one!

Anyway, at the moment is 6 times less than the previous fee at least :)

I am curious on how they made the change. Did they go to have a look on the Revenue website and didn't find the updated information? Or what?

I mean, I supposed they officially contacted Revenue which should communicate them the latest rules, not an obsolete one!

Anyway, at the moment is 6 times less than the previous fee at least :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that that's exactly what they did, because the Revenue site has the old information on it. The only reference to the new charges are in a PDF which you need to search ATM Withdrawal Tax to find, and I doubt they know about that.

So the English support page is now also reflecting the 5€:

https://number26.eu/support/really-costs/

So the English support page is now also reflecting the 5€:

https://number26.eu/support/really-costs/

Maybe because I posted on Facebook a request 1hr ago :)

I just decided to try chat and there was no queue :)

Agent was there immediately and already aware of the issue, so I guess they are now working on correcting the mistake they made when correcting the mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I wonder did the agent fully understand. Did the agent get that this as a new second mistake? or did "aware of the mistake" refer to the first mistake and not the second mistake?!

• Advertisement

Just spotted another complication from revenue pdf is that if you never use the POS function your capped at 2.50 and not 5 euro. Even irish banks are going to mess this up.

JTMan wrote: »
    I wonder did the agent fully understand. Did the agent get that this as a new second mistake? or did "aware of the mistake" refer to the first mistake and not the second mistake?!

We talked to each other in German in the proper German way there was no room for miss-understandings.

Now that does not guarantee success but I am sure that he understood that the 5€ is a mistake too. He was aware of the change from 30€ to 5€ so he understood me.

It helps to speak German which is bad because after all they are going after an English language market. But when translating Kreditkarte to credit card and causing major issues one should not expect miracles.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Just spotted another complication from revenue pdf is that if you never use the POS function your capped at 2.50 and not 5 euro. Even irish banks are going to mess this up.

I think Section 123B of the SDCA is very clear on that.....

I think Section 123B of the SDCA is very clear on that.....

PTSB messed up with me on old rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

App update on IOS to version 2.2.2 - might reflect the change in T&C's with some stability refinements

- Cash26 map navigation - (Germany only i would think)
    - Touch ID improvements
    - Improvements regarding overdraft

• Advertisement
Advertisement