Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Curran wrote: »
    Detailing Shed have everything bar the gtechniq products that you are looking for!! ;)

Their site is being rebuilt at the moment due to being messed about by their web designer!!

One of the lads who owns DS is an gimp!! He drives a black e39, know him??

BK - I don't **** over C4!!! I **** over C1, EXO, C4, T1, I1 and much much more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

i wonder if you wanked over paint would it etch the clear coat .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Dont report back on your findings!

It would at least fully clean the interior before it took pics and plastered them all over the tinternet :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I somehow got it into my head that the Gtechniq C4 Trim restorer was around €15. Oh my surprise when I was about to go buy it. Think it'll be worth it though (combined with the ever growing PM shopping list I have with Curran).

My girlfriends Mini has some awful grey/white trim on the wheel arches. Back to black gel is just a full time job trying to keep it well.
    Her mother also recently inherited a sweet 1996 (I think) Toyota Corolla with like 40k miles on it (an elderly relatives car). Its it damn good condition (albeit after the bonnet and roof were resprayed,15 years living by the sea did some damage to the paint), but needs some TLC. Particularly the bumpers. They're spotted grey and really take from what is a quality little car.

Hoping to get all my new bits for the long weekend.

I know I know, needs pics. Ill go pic crazy next weekend, and hold MetzgerMeister personally responsible if the trim restorer doesnt cut it.

and hold MetzgerMeister personally responsible if the trim restorer doesnt cut it.

Just make sure you prep the surface properly first. Use alcohol wipes to remove all silicone traces from that back to black stuff. This is very important so give the surface a few goes of this and don't be gentle.

If there's any silicone, the C4 won't adhere or work properly.

I promise you, you'll be praising me and Gtechniq :D

Just make sure you prep the surface properly first. Use alcohol wipes to remove all silicone traces from that back to black stuff. This is very important so give the surface a few goes of this and don't be gentle.

If there's any silicone, the C4 won't adhere or work properly.

I promise you, you'll be praising me and Gtechniq :D

Alcohol you say? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I **** over C1, EXO, C4, T1, I1 and much much more :D

Must have some arm up on ya :D

vectra wrote: »
    Must have some arm up on ya :D

I would post a certain pic as a very funny, witty response to this but the last time I posted it, it was reported. And no, it was actually funny and not offensive if you actually have a sense of humour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Today I finally got to use the DA that I got from detailingshed with the group buy on the bmw-driver site.

I only did the boot, really happy with the results, by no means a full correction, no more swirl marks but some RDS's still visible.

Here are some phone camera pics, need to invest in a proper cam, these don't do it justice

DA'd on the left, what it was like on the right:
    yyWlNFyl.jpg

Nasty scratch that was on the boot, now much less visible.
    Before:
    qs5Omi3l.jpg

After:
    lbumguml.jpg

After pic, also just fitted the lip spoiler after the polishing:
    cY1jHSLl.jpg
    3ru7Hscl.jpg

Now just to do the rest of the car :p

BillJ wrote: »
    cY1jHSLl.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

How much did the da cost in a group deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Looking slick.

What polish and pad did you decide on?

What you seal it up with?

Good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Today I decided to give the alloys and wheel arches on my own car a proper clean.
    Cue the torrential downpours with some thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure, and I only managed to get the rear wheels and arches done.
    Just realised I've no pics of the arches!:o

Anyway, the wheels:

Here's what we started with - likely they haven't had a proper clean in six years!

[IMG][/img]vihn.jpg

After a quick powerwash, Autosmart Wheel Cleaner, Autosmart Tardis and finally Autosmart G101, we end up with this:

[IMG][/img]f3db.jpg

After I detarred the wheel arches, the driveway looked like somebody had flushed out the spraybar on a tackcoater.

cena wrote: »
    How much did the da cost in a group deal.

Think it was about 155 with three pads, two polishes, three microfibres, backing plate, 3m tape.
    myshirt wrote: »
    Looking slick.

What polish and pad did you decide on?

What you seal it up with?

Good work.

Used chemical guys hexlogic pads with autobrite enrich and autobrite final finish.

Used enrich on the heavy polish pad, then the medium and then the final finish polish with the finishing pad.

Not sure if that's the best combo but it gave some good results.

Sealed with Meg's NXT tech wax 2.0, that pic is before any wax went on, super shiny now:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Today I decided to give the alloys and wheel arches on my own car a proper clean.
    Cue the torrential downpours with some thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure, and I only managed to get the rear wheels and arches done.
    Just realised I've no pics of the arches!:o

After I detarred the wheel arches, the driveway looked like somebody had flushed out the spraybar on a tackcoater.

I hope you sealed them up before refitting them?

Great cleaning job though.

vectra wrote: »
    I hope you sealed them up before refitting them?

Great cleaning job though.

Yeah, I didn't have any FK1000P to hand so I just gave them a coat of bog standard wax as an interim measure.
    As with anything, the initial clean took a fair bit of time and effort, but it will be handy to maintain them in that condition.

Did the fronts tonight.

Cheers Dave! Got my order today (buckets, guards, shampoo, metal polish, APC, and an incredimitt). Planning on testing out a few things at the weekend, after I swing by Cleancar for some C4.

Also, my dad bought a foam lance! Schweeet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Carbon Black doesnt have too much if any flake!!
    It does look like CB in the photo, but as it doesn't have flake I guess Sapphire!

Checked everywhere and no paint code. Rang BMW and, based on my reg, they said it is jet black (668).

Detailing Shed back in full swing again :)

• Advertisement

Niiiooce layout!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Down again

Up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Can you leave your erectile dysfunction problems in another forum lads.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Can you leave your erectile dysfunction problems in another forum lads.

Thanks Slattsy - you've just destroyed my keyboard with the tea that had been in my mouth!

Thanks Slattsy - you've just destroyed my keyboard with the tea that had been in my mouth!

Tea and mouth eh?? :pac:

Today I will be mostly detailing my keyboard.

Not a problem here

all i need to do is press ctrl-shift-n togther and im free

That Gtechniq C4 stuff is some joke. So far anyways.

Gave it a go on the girlfriends mini. Its black bumpers were an eye sore every time the car was washed. Forgot my DSLR so its the HTC ONEs time to shine.

Nearside rear wheel arch was in a general bad state. Previous owner must of thought the mini was actually a small car.
    Before (is it just me or do those tyres look like their cracking?):
    IMAG0523.jpg
    And:
    IMAG0530.jpg

After:
    IMAG0534.jpg

OnSide rear arch Before:
    IMAG0527.jpg

After:
    IMAG0543.jpg

Rear bumper and exhaust (cleaned up with some autosol) - Before:
    IMAG0528.jpg

After (ignore the rusty back box):
    IMAG0544.jpg

Wing Mirror Before:
    IMAG0532.jpg

After:
    IMAG0536.jpg

Wing mirror arm was awful before, but no pic :(. After:
    IMAG0537.jpg

50:50
    IMAG0533.jpg

Door handle before:
    IMAG0529.jpg

After:
    IMAG0535.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can get to work on the Corolla. Its filthy though. Time to test out all the bits I got off Curran. If I had the time and tools with me, id go nuts on the corolla. Alas I only have shampoo, a mitt, APC, a few buckets and C4. Id love to clay it after its 15-17 years living by the sea.

This car was booked in for an exterior valet this morning.

The wheels needed some TLC because they ware never cleaned properly, another example why some places don't take the time to clean the hard to reach areas and just rush the job.

At MX ‪‎Valeting‬ we do it correctly

*First the wheels are rinsed to get any heavy dirt off

*Second traffic film remover is sprayed on and allowed to work in for two to three minutes

*Third The traffic film remover is rinsed off

*Fourth wheel cleaner is sprayed on this is let to work in for another three to five minutes and and then agitated with a special brush (the cleaner is PH neutral)

*Fifty the wheels are finally rinsed and this way the wheels are thoroughly cleaned

Next depending on the service being carried out i would de-tar and wax them for the ultimate in shine and protection.

Because of all this effort the wheels will be protected from contaminants like salt, brake dust and grime making them easier to clean them in the future.

9IA3XrK.jpg

LKcRGO6.jpg

• Advertisement

Black Knight - some joke????? I'll break your ears!!! :pac:

Black Knight - some joke????? I'll break your ears!!! :pac:

If he's not happy I'm sure you'd take it off his hands! :pac:

If he's not happy I'm sure you'd take it off his hands! :pac:

Indeed I would :D I drank 2 bottles of the stuff last night along with a few pints. Lovely stuff, tastes like Sambuca :D

A bit of hard rain last night hasn't done those bumpers much good. White spots coming back already in places.

A bit of hard rain last night hasn't done those bumpers much good. White spots coming back already in places.

Are you taking the mickey now or did it really happen?

Did you give the plastics a good preparation clean before applying the C4?

Are you taking the mickey now or did it really happen?

Did you give the plastics a good preparation clean before applying the C4?

Unfortunately its really happened. Went out to make sure it was looking well and I can clearly see some of the fading coming through. Its not as bad as it was before, but its only been <24hours.

I gave them a soaking with that APC you gave me, diluted about 5:1 and scrubbed them clean with a microfiber. Let them dry and the applied the C4. Let it cure for about 2-3 minutes and then buffed it off with a clean microfiber.

5 parts APC : 1 Water

or

1 APC : 5 Water

5 parts APC : 1 Water

or

1 APC : 5 Water

I am way too afraid to answer that, because no matter what I did, im wrong.

1 part APC, 5 parts water

• Advertisement

I am way too afraid to answer that, because no matter what I did, im wrong.

We've all learnt from our mistakes! :)

If you did it 5 parts APC : 1 water, then it should have done a reasonable job.

However products like gtechniq C4 are superb products but take a lot of effort to prepare before application. They arent as flexible as some other products.

Ideally an IPA wipedown would be done before application!

A lot of the gtechniq products also need to be applied and let cure in controlled environments - not sure about C4 but certainly some of their paint protection products do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hmm, interested to see how this pans out. C4 is expensive stuff to wash away.

You can't let water come into contact with a surface with C4 on it for around 3 hours.

You can't let water come into contact with a surface with C4 on it for around 3 hours.

Sure now ya tell me. Gave it a massive scrub down with some high concentrate APC, and applied again. We'll see.

Gave the 95 corolla a going over also. Washed down, 2 buckets and some shampoo. APC on the bumpers and wheels (hubcaps). If I was to do it right id of added claying, detarring, pressure wash the wheel arches, machine polishing (a few scuffs here any there over its 18 year life) and waxing.

Anyways, on with the pics.
    Full Car:
    IMAG0552.jpg
    IMAG0569.jpg

Near side rear bumper:
    IMAG0549.jpg
    IMAG0565.jpg

Exhaust (autosol) Better pic later:
    IMAG0555.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg

Near side front bumper:
    IMAG0546.jpg
    IMAG0558.jpg

Door panels - I know, pics are of different sides, but the soiling was the same:
    IMAG0553.jpg
    IMAG0560.jpg

Front bumper:
    IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0557.jpg

Offside rear bumper (and exhaust- shiny):
    IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0561.jpg

Also debugged, and and shampoo'd a nice A4.
    IMAG0570.jpg

Very impressed with the products I got of Detailingshed:
    Microfiber madness incredimitt is pretty awesome. Very plush, lots of soakage and cleans very well.
    ORCHARD AUTOCARE BRAMLEY BUBBLE BATH was great to work with. Great smell, great foam and cleaned very well. Much better than that gallon of ****e ive been trying to finish off for years.
    Orchard Autocare APC worked wonders (when diluted right).
    Autosol for the exhaust was effective, albeit required lots of elbow and persistence. Ive never used alternatives so im not sure how it holds up against others.

^ The finished result on that exhaust is impressive Black Knight!
    That sort of turnaround takes a fair bit of persistence and effort.Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Rented the "rug doctor" from Woodies at the weekend. Interior Valeted 6 cars.
    04 E220, no pic unfortunately
    03 E46 320D (bottom 2 pics)
    03 Clio (top 2 pics- just drivers seat)
    03 A4 (no pics)
    06 A4 (no pics)
    04 Corsa (no pics)

• Advertisement

Great work - fair play on the removal of the seats....proper bit of detailing there! :)

IK09 wrote: »
    Rented the "rug doctor" from Woodies at the weekend. Interior Valeted 6 cars.
    04 E220, no pic unfortunately
    03 E46 320D (bottom 2 pics)
    03 Clio (top 2 pics- just drivers seat)
    03 A4 (no pics)
    06 A4 (no pics)
    04 Corsa (no pics)

I see the carpet-striping virus is spreading!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Haha ya saw it on a youtube video, with some American guy who knows what hes at. Looks the job. The man with the merc said that when he bought the car (new) thats the way the carpets were. Starting to do a good few interior valets now. Only doing it at the weekends (its the only way i can afford with the price of renting the machine) still doing the work from home, but getting proper results, no carpet thread left unturned. If ye know anyone looking for an interior valet in Galway, send them my way!

Currently in the process of DA'ing the car. My god does it take a long time.

The wheels will be done after. I picked up Autoglym Alloy wheel Seal when it was on offer a few months ago, http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_204977_langId_-1_categoryId_212511, is it any good?

Or should I splash out on CG wheel wax. I'd rather not have to spend more money!

Dont know if its any good or not, but its better than nothing!

And given that is fairly handy to use, being a spray...even if it only lasts from week to week and means cleaning is easier from week to week - go ahead and use it all up!

Then consider your options! :)

Ahem; gtech**q C(3+2) :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement