Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV cracked

Options
  • 19-04-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi. I bought a Samsung TV in Sound store at Christmas and it has a 5 year gtd.

The screen appears to have cracked out of nowhere. The crack is on the inside so its not an obvious crack that the TV fell. I am pretty sure the TV had no impact to it unless one person is lying to me.

The shop says I have no recourse and that the warranty doesnt cover it.

Any thoughts or potential ways to escalate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

. I am pretty sure the TV had no impact to it unless one person is lying to me.

this is key. The issue looks like it is physical damage - i've very rarely heard of damage like this every being caused by something that wasn't physical.

Physical damage isn't covered by warranty - so unless you can prove that the screen / tv managed to crack all by itself you have no recourse

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

whippet wrote: »
    this is key. The issue looks like it is physical damage - i've very rarely heard of damage like this every being caused by something that wasn't physical.

Physical damage isn't covered by warranty - so unless you can prove that the screen / tv managed to crack all by itself you have no recourse

Impossible to prove I guess. Unless no one else was in the house during the period between uses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A crack could also happen if there was a significant temperature change over a short period of time; that also would not be covered by warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

Probably going to be very difficult to prove its not due to a knock or fall. Might be worth Googling your TV's model number to see if there are any reports of spontaneous cracking due manufacturing defects (especially if the model has been around a while).

Presumably the shop knows the terms of their guarantee but as a long shot might still be worth double checking the terms and conditions especially if it was an add on guarantee you paid for as they sometimes also cover accidental damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I will never buy a Samsung TV ever again, I bought a lovely one and literally on the 25th month of owning it, it developed a line across the screen and I was told tough shït basically, out of pocket by a grand, never again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Fieldog wrote: »
    I will never buy a Samsung TV ever again, I bought a lovely one and literally on the 25th month of owning it it developed a line across the screen and I was told tough shït basically, out of pocket by a grand, never again...

You should have made a complaint to the seller under the Sale of Goods Act using the CCPC letter template linked below. Under the act you have certain protections for 6 years in Ireland. See the following links:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/your_rights_as_consumer_in_ireland.html

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complaint-letter-templates/

Can you at least claim on your house insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I will never buy a Samsung TV ever again, I bought a lovely one and literally on the 25th month of owning it, it developed a line across the screen and I was told tough shït basically, out of pocket by a grand, never again...
    You obviously have never heard of the sale of goods and supply of services act?

You do have comeback, but dont expect the shop to tell you that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You obviously have never heard of the sale of goods and supply of services act?

You do have comeback, but dont expect the shop to tell you that.
    Which part of the Act covers damage likley to have been made by the buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Which part of the Act covers damage likley to have been made by the buyer?

I think he was referring to the second poster with the fault causing a line across the screen,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I think he was referring to the second poster with the fault causing a line across the screen,
    Indeed, I was talking to the user who commented their tv also packed up. Just out of curiosity, TO THE OP, have you googled the brand and model of your tv to see are their any similar reports of the screen cracking?
    If there is a known issue, reported by others, it may give you some traction to get it fixed. However, if you accidentally banged it, then you are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

This is actually similar to what mine looks like. You dont see the crack that easily. Mine was a Samsung Q60T. A relatively new model by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This is actually similar to what mine looks like. You dont see the crack that easily. Mine was a Samsung Q60T. A relatively new model by all accounts.

There's a huge difference between a line across the screen and a crack. A line can be a fault but a crack suggests damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dfs5

To the guy with the line across his TV: it may be pixel related. I had this problem and it annoyed me so much, I went out and bought another TV. I moved the old TV into another room for occasional use, low and behold, the line disappeared! The effect of unplugging for a few hours did the trick!

Advertisement