Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Times subscription for 50cent per week for one year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Pay €2 every 4 weeks and cancel whenever you want. It’s for their basic subscription.

Further details here - https://www.nytimes.com/subscription?campaignId=9RHJX

I've been on this for a year. If you enjoy following American politics, it's excellent value. The journalism and production of some of the articles is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Great value.

The NY Times, WSJ, Economist and FT are all in the top league when it comes to quality journalism.
    If you enjoy following American politics, it's excellent value

It's more than just good for US politics. Publications like the NY Times bring different perspectives to global stories, information you can trust and deeply well researched articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

JTMan wrote: »
    Great value.

The NY Times, WSJ, Economist and FT are all in the top league when it comes to quality journalism.

It's more than just good for US politics. Publications like the NY Times bring different perspectives to global stories, information you can trust and deeply well researched articles.

Ditto - great journalism and perspectives

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭go4it

@offtopic : the basic package for the android app is 29.99e /year , handy if you have vodafone/three accumulated credit to spare ( pay through carrier billing )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Or use an Israel VPN and get it for free.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 onetwofourthree

I was on this 0.50 p/week offer for the last 50 weeks. As it was coming to an end I went to cancel there to sign up under a new email to avail of the offer again - however, during the last step of the cancellation process, I was offered the same deal again for another year - 50 cent per week until april 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SmithJames84

I don't post normally but registered on reading this thread, purely as I felt it was an important point to note... NY Times does lean extremely to one particular side of the political spectrum - and I have noticed over the past year particularly that it can have a dangerously loose relationship to the truth when it comes to the opposite side, and therefore to the truth full stop. All publications tend to be biased one way or another, but NY Times has taken it to a whole new level.

I just felt that awareness of potential extreme bias was important before signing up to a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

my 3 euro a month year is up in May. I didn't get any notification that the subscription price would change next month. Did anyone else or did they say it would increase after a year when you were signing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Supercell wrote: »
    Or use an Israel VPN and get it for free.

Honestly, 50 cent per week is great value. I am sure you don't work for free - journalists deserve to be paid for their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

a bit off topic, but are there any deals on the wall street journal ? besides the introductory two month deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have been on this deal for about 6 months now and it really is good value.
    Their Trump obsession was a bit grating but now that he is gone the breath and depth of their reporting is something we don't normally see over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I don't post normally but registered on reading this thread, purely as I felt it was an important point to note... NY Times does lean extremely to one particular side of the political spectrum - and I have noticed over the past year particularly that it can have a dangerously loose relationship to the truth when it comes to the opposite side, and therefore to the truth full stop. All publications tend to be biased one way or another, but NY Times has taken it to a whole new level.

I just felt that awareness of potential extreme bias was important before signing up to a product.

Yes it called out Trump and all of his gutless Republican enablers.

An uncomfortable truth for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭112143

It's excellent value,.
    The Washington post also have subscription options for €20 and €30 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

112143 wrote: »
    It's excellent value,.
    The Washington post also have subscription options for €20 and €30 a year.

I have a Washington Post subscription for $19 a year. I was travelling when I signed up and it just renews every year at the same price. I can also gift it to one other person. I've never seen the offer or the price since but I'm just keeping my head down!

The only issue I found with the NYT offer is that you had to call them to cancel.

Go ahead. Give us some examples of where the Times printed lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The only issue I found with the NYT offer is that you had to call them to cancel.

Is this correct? This would put me off subscribing in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I have a Washington Post subscription for $19 a year. I was travelling when I signed up and it just renews every year at the same price. I can also gift it to one other person. I've never seen the offer or the price since but I'm just keeping my head down!

Sitting here reading the Washington Post free of charge courtesy of my local county Library, Pressreader App.

Hundreds of papers free from all over the world.
    Another benefit from your local library.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sitting here reading the Washington Post free of charge courtesy of my local county Library, Pressreader App.

Hundreds of papers free from all over the world.
    Another benefit from your local library.

Reading in the Pressreader app is a pain. I'm happy to pay for the mobile app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Horses for courses I suppose. Does me grand. Newspaper font and type, one page per view.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

dulpit wrote: »
    Is this correct? This would put me off subscribing in the first place...

no it's not correct - you can cancel from your account online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭howiya

Just checked my account. On this offer until June. I wonder if it will be still be in place or will I be renewing at the full price.

clevtrev wrote: »
    no it's not correct - you can cancel from your account online

Good. Calling them was a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Go ahead. Give us some examples of where the Times printed lies.

Its a pale shadow of the paper it used to be.
    Its become a woke echo chamber.
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2020-07-14/bari-weiss-new-york-times-resignation

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2020-07-14/bari-weiss-new-york-times-resignation

I doubt very much you were ever an avid reader. Still waiting for the examples of the lies they printed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

woke echo chamber. Any more buzzwords to add?

Re. those confirming that you don't need to call to cancel - sound. That's me decided, signing up now. Looking forward to my daily dose of wokeness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 onetwofourthree

howiya wrote: »
    Just checked my account. On this offer until June. I wonder if it will be still be in place or will I be renewing at the full price.

I posted this above, sorry for the duplication, but to answer to: yes you will be renewing at full price unless you cancel, but I was also to follow the below steps to get the offer renewed:

"I was on this 0.50 p/week offer for the last 50 weeks. As it was coming to an end I went to cancel there to sign up under a new email to avail of the offer again - however, during the last step of the cancellation process, I was offered the same deal again for another year - 50 cent per week until april 2022."

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

I am nerdy enough to subscribe to the NYT spelling bee puzzle. Strangely addictive...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I doubt very much you were ever an avid reader. Still waiting for the examples of the lies they printed?

Not an avid reader but I used to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

dulpit wrote: »
    woke echo chamber. Any more buzzwords to add?

Re. those confirming that you don't need to call to cancel - sound. That's me decided, signing up now. Looking forward to my daily dose of wokeness. :pac:

Mister anarchy is just trolling you. It's a great bargain alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Is there an epaper to view?

Advertisement