Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aprrentice Aircraft Technician

Options
  • 16-04-2021 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I was wondering if you could help with some pointers Pro V Con please for the below;

Apprentice Aircraft technician Dublin Aerospace V Aircraft Technician Air Corps

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I know very little on the apprenticeship process itself.

I would guess that working on commercial aircraft in a heavy maintenance environment, and getting those aircraft types endorsed on your licence later on, would give you better work experience than the Air Corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

the Air Corps,no question. But, it's the Military and that's not to everyone's liking, but you get a very wide range of experience on all types of aircraft and you come out with a B1 and a degree,which broadens your options considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I know very little on the apprenticeship process itself.

I would guess that working on commercial aircraft in a heavy maintenance environment, and getting those aircraft types endorsed on your licence later on, would give you better work experience than the Air Corps.

Dublin Aerospace are opening a new landing gear facility in Ashbourne shortly, you may never get to even see an aircraft in you are based there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AlimarieC

Thank you for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Dublin Aerospace are opening a new landing gear facility in Ashbourne shortly, you may never get to even see an aircraft in you are based there.

it's not a full apprenticeship; it's barely even a traineeship and it's only one part of an aircraft, that you will never see. Not worth the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Dublin Aerospace isn't the only option for an apprenticeship. Ryanair, Air Atlantic and Aer Lingus take on apprentices as well as others.
    The military can have good chances for travel as well as education and other benefits, but is not to everyone's liking. I did that route (in the UK). The training was excellent, but there was a lot of marching and cleaning involved and the odd trip away for a bit of war...
    All considered, I have no regrets for doing it and now have all my licences, but I had to study for those myself once I got out. I think there's more help nowadays. Some of the best Irish engineers I know were in the Air Corps.

Advertisement