Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Becoming a driving instructor at 24

Options
  • 01-04-2021 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I've been thinking of becoming a driving instructor for the past while.

I'll be 24 with a years no claims (2 years named driver) under my belt.
    I know I will/can technically meet the requirements for becoming an ADI but I'm more so worried about insurance.

I've left it a little too late today to give any insurance companies a call so I thought I'd ask here in the mean time.

How much can a typical ADI be expected to pay, most instructors in my area are middle aged men with plenty of years experience under their belt.

I already suffer from high insurance costs, so this might null and void this whole idea.

Any ideas what my likelihood is of getting insured or what the damage would be?

I know there's plenty more cost that goes into it but this is the first hurdle; can I even get insured.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

€8000-€10,000 per year.public liability insurance is the most expensive insurance you can buy.
    Factor the costs into your lesson prices and go from there.
    The RSA are always looking for examiners too

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

€8000-€10,000 per year.public liability insurance is the most expensive insurance you can buy.
    Factor the costs into your lesson prices and go from there.
    The RSA are always looking for examiners too
    I know my old instructor told me, 'you wouldn't believe the amount of clutches I burn through, and it doesn't even compete with insurance costs!', so I knew it wasn't going to be cheap.

There seems to be plenty of demand out there.

A guy I know is an examiner and he started offering lessons again recently, said he was booked out in 2 days for the next month..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

I know my old instructor told me, 'you wouldn't believe the amount of clutches I burn through, and it doesn't even compete with insurance costs!', so I knew it wasn't going to be cheap.

There seems to be plenty of demand out there.

A guy I know is an examiner and he started offering lessons again recently, said he was booked out in 2 days for the next month..

Current examiners are not permitted to operate as an instructor, give lessons for gain or be a director/associated with a driving school. All falls under a conflict of interest.

I done both.
    Gave up the my permit in 2018 after not giving too many lessons in 2 years. Never put much into it and there was demand. I would say you're gonna make a lot but working for yourself has both upsides and downsides. Been so young, insurance may be the killer for you.

Take the ADI first and then decide. Can be up to 6 months to 1 year before you get the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Sup08 wrote: »
    Current examiners are not permitted to operate as an instructor, give lessons for gain or be a director/associated with a driving school. All falls under a conflict of interest.

He was let go at the start of the lockdown, hence why he started taking bookings again.

I can see how there would be a conflict of interest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I started instructing at 27 years old, I worked as an employee for a company however and did more HGV than I did car.

You can do it once you meet the requirements for it sure but like others have said it's down to cost too.

The only thing I can say about it is as a younger person doing it you will get plenty of looks as to say are you actually the instructor etc. I used to wear my neck badge all the time just to avoid hassle (The RSA don't actually issue them anymore unfortunately), I've even experienced a bit of agro from other instructors in the way of "what are you doing this job for etc you're too young etc" not in a complamentry manner either. There's actually a story behind one guy but that's not for here, was a bad show however.

But yes cost will be a big factor for you. Between getting a modern clean car, insurance, dual controls, signage, becoming self employed, tax's (possibly an accountant) wear and tear on the vehicle like servicing more frequently than normal, clutches , brakes etc.

Although it's a good idea if it's something you'd enjoy to do but unfortunately you'd need a lot of cash behind you to get into it only to be met with all the above obstacles.

Looking at it from a students perspective, why go with a young lad when you can get an oulfella with 10-20 years experience and good record. (No offense lads)

But on the other hand if you do ever do it, you might get the odd woman who will take her time handing you the money, or in my case , already handed me the money but still rubbing my hand .... :confused:

But anyway, any questions feel free to ask and good luck whatever you decide to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Some of the bigger schools might do the Course true them and you work with/for them for a couple of years.airport driving school it was (I'm not sure if it's still the same) but worth a look

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

OP I’ll drop you a PM later

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

The only thing I can say about it is as a younger person doing it you will get plenty of looks as to say are you actually the instructor etc. I used to wear my neck badge all the time just to avoid hassle (The RSA don't actually issue them anymore unfortunately),

The RSA are still issuing wallet/neck badges. I had to send mine back twice in the last few months because the messed up the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

The RSA are still issuing wallet/neck badges. I had to send mine back twice in the last few months because the messed up the expiry date.

It's over a year since I requested it and at the time I had gotten the dashboard card but was told they were finalizing something about a printer and trying to finish a font or something.

Anyway, I resigned myself to not getting a new one, but the dash card is there anyway

Advertisement