Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coach licence

Options
  • 20-03-2021 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all,

My dad is telling me he has a friend who is an RSA certified driving instructor. He's willing to give me a decent price on a few driving lessons for a coach. The only thing is the coach he has is automatic.
    If i did my test in an automatic coach, would I be restricted to automatic from then on, or would that cover me to drive a manual coach as well?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Automatic will only cover you for an automatic but it's not really an issue as nearly all buses and coaches are automatic. There very few manual buses left on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

GT89 wrote: »
    Automatic will only cover you for an automatic but it's not really an issue as nearly all buses and coaches are automatic. There very few manual buses left on the roads.

Thanks for your reply!

I thought that was the case, but my dad is trying to tell me that since November it has changed and automatic will cover you for both. It didn't sound right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Full size, yes that is correct, nothing under 10 years old is going to be manual and but there will still be a fair amount of mini and midi coaches with manual boxes around for years, particularly transit van D1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Your information is incorrect and now out of date.

If you have a manual car licence, and do your bus or HGV licence in an automatic, you will not be restricted to only driving automatics, you will be granted the full, unrestricted licence.

Plenty of driving schools around the country have changed their fleet to reflect this as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

If you have a manual car licence, and do your bus or HGV licence in an automatic, you will not be restricted to only driving automatics, you will be granted the full, unrestricted licence.

Plenty of driving schools around the country have changed their fleet to reflect this as a result.

This is correct and came into existence in November 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Ahh that's great news. Thanks a lot folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

News to me too. Looks great on paper but imagine passing your test in an automatic transmission and then asked to drive a range change gear box ( 4 over 4). Completely different to a manual gearbox in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Faith+1 wrote: »
    News to me too. Looks great on paper but imagine passing your test in an automatic transmission and then asked to drive a range change gear box ( 4 over 4). Completely different to a manual gearbox in a car.

Or a 3 over 3 :pac:

Did my rigid test in a standard 6 sided Iveco, same with the bus, artic was 4 over 4. First experience of a 3/3 was getting thrown into the deep end one night, ‘twas fun :D

Advertisement