Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yoga to help knee injury ? Ennis area

Options
  • 19-12-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi ive had knee cartilage trouble for 20 years now after an operation when i was 13. im wondering can yoga help me strenghten and help relieve pain in both knees. i think i would need a few classes so i dont do any further damage so any good class in Ennis area ? thanks for any help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Hi Seamie,
    The knee is one area that is very difficult to repair.

There are also many yoga postures which put quite a bit of pressure on the knee and can actually make the problem worse.

You would be best going to a qualified and very experienced yoga teacher (more than 10 years teaching experience) who can talk directly to you, get a full history, see how your knee responds to various positions and movements and try to work out some postures and gentle movements that may give you some relief.

Best to do a one to one session with this teacher rather than going to a general yoga class.

However, what may be the result of such a session would be a list of movements or postures 'not' to practice.

I would recommend Atma Kripa in Ennis.

Her contact details are at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/yoga-ireland/local-yoga-classes/clare-yoga-classes/

One other thing to consider may be the Alexander Technique which analyses movements you make every day, and may be able to identify movements you regularly make but may be putting strain on the knee.

There are also other factors which can exacerbate pain in the knee such as swelling and can sometimes be elevated by an alkaline diet.

However rather than speculate, it would be best for you to see someone who is very experienced in this area so they can find out more, actually see what happens when you do particular movements, and try to find some solution to help ease your discomfort.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 27 9seamie

thanks for all your help dave, alot to consider there

Advertisement