Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga/Pilates at home

Options
  • 24-08-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Good Idea?

I have books with DVDs but have never actually taken a class.

15-minute-everyday-pilates-4653314.jpg

BKGRIM15MI%3BWarehouse%3BWarehouse.jpg

Any advice/thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Hey,
    I always think it's best to be taking classes, especially if you're a beginner. Teachers can be very encouraging, & can spot some of your improvements you may have missed. (don't forget about correcting your postures, which is SO important)
    fellow classmates are really helpful as well.

So yeah, unless it's because of a financial reason you're not taking classes, my advice is to go for lessons, try it out for a few weeks & see what you think.
    Happy stretching!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I would agree with Jay1989; it's much easier to pick up the technique in a class. Even when you've mastered the technique, it's so easy to go lighter on yourself when practising at home, or to make a mistake and never realise. Going to a class is a great way to challenge yourself occasionally, even if you're a regular home practitioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Hey peanuthead, I would go for a class if at all possible. The little adjustments that an instructor will help you to make to your technique will make such a huge differance to how effective a pose is. I havent been able to go to a class for the last 2 months (kids off school!) and I know that Ive been really lazy with my sessions, really never pushing myself, I know if I was in a class still I would be much stronger and bendier now!!! I would also be wary that some poses done worng could cause some damage, and a decent instructor would be very careful of this.
    I've been doing yoga for 2 years, so Im probably ok working on my own, but I still cant wait to get back into a class to push myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

I agree it's really important to have the benefit of a teacher's knowledge so you don't sprain or strain anything (especially starting out), and also the benefit of the energy you get from participating in a class with others (not in a competitive way...), but I also think it's good to develop home practice.

Personally my home practice is always very gentle by comparison to the classes I take, so I don't get as bendy or as strong as I would in a class situation, but I get other benefits, like taking a few moments to meditate or just to limber up for my desk-all-day job.

Anyway, I'd recommend the Yoga to the People youtube channel and podcasts, or else just ten minutes of warm-up followed by some sun salutations.

I'd love to hear about other people's home practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

I agree it's really important to have the benefit of a teacher's knowledge so you don't sprain or strain anything (especially starting out), and also the benefit of the energy you get from participating in a class with others (not in a competitive way...), but I also think it's good to develop home practice.

Personally my home practice is always very gentle by comparison to the classes I take, so I don't get as bendy or as strong as I would in a class situation, but I get other benefits, like taking a few moments to meditate or just to limber up for my desk-all-day job.

Anyway, I'd recommend the Yoga to the People youtube channel and podcasts, or else just ten minutes of warm-up followed by some sun salutations.

I'd love to hear about other people's home practice.
    +1 on the benefit of going to classes

i find the yoga journal's home practice section is good http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/home_practice

i'm trying to develop my home practice properly at the mo

• Advertisement
Advertisement