Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit worried? mod note in first post

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Yeah, definitely...buy..

Stfu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have any actual real investing experience, not trying to put anyone down just get an answer, there's a third upward trend h&s forming, if it completes could it mean three white soldiers, according to my own research it does. Would that mean a bull return to 190 - 180 on eth.

Nobody here or anywhere can answer that, Its all speculative mate and lots of different things influence crypto.

It's up too you if you think buying now is a good idea,Its just as valid as someone saying I'll wait until tomorrow to buy or sell

Well normal analysis can, but that's without a whale dumping a sh*t load of coin.

Well normal analysis can, but that's without a whale dumping a sh*t load of coin.

I'd like to see these analysis's that have made correct predictions of bull runs.

Can you link to then please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Does anyone on here have any actual real investing experience, not trying to put anyone down just get an answer, there's a third upward trend h&s forming, if it completes could it mean three white soldiers, according to my own research it does. Would that mean a bull return to 190 - 180 on eth.

You have no idea what will happen or even why anything has happened to date. Like trying to find patterns in clouds.

PS- I do have some real investing experience. I've put fairly large sums in a standard index fund, some property and a pension fund. I've been lucky and done fairly well out of it so far.

sexmag wrote: »
    I'd like to see these analysis's that have made correct predictions of bull runs.

Can you link to then please?

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/three_white_soldiers.asp

Markets are defined by algorithms now so you can forget about all of that stuff.

You have no idea what will happen or even why anything has happened to date. Like trying to find patterns in clouds.

PS- I do have some real investing experience. I've put fairly large sums in a standard index fund, some property and a pension fund. I've been lucky and done fairly well out of it so far.

Ok so my theory is if the current h&s trend on eth closes out above 109(euro) that it is entering a bull run, if I buy one eth at my estimated entry point of 90 - 94 euro I'll have enough profit for a pizza at least by new years.

Ok so my theory is if the current h&s trend on eth closes out above 109(euro) that it is entering a bull run, if I buy one eth at my estimated entry point of 90 - 94 euro I'll have enough profit for a pizza at least by new years.

That theory has been said about most of the top 20 cryptos this year by many many analysts, there has been points of where if they don't fall past XXXX price it's means a bull run because the bears cant sell off anymore etc,all of which have been proven wrong as 2018 has been a tough year, hopefully next year sees a slow and steady pick up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Markets are defined by algorithms now so you can forget about all of that stuff.

If markets were defined solely by algorithms, they could be predicted by algorithms. I'm not convinced this is the case, as while there is a lot of bot based trading I suspect these bots are frequently being tweaked and overridden by people.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    If markets were defined solely by algorithms, they could be predicted by algorithms. I'm not convinced this is the case, as while there is a lot of bot based trading I suspect these bots are frequently being tweaked and overridden by people.

Obviously yes.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-15/it-s-a-quant-s-stock-market-as-computer-programs-keep-on-buying

Monitoring candles is a fools game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

...only if you know what the algorithms are, and each trading bot will have its own.

Yeah it's great to play Nick leeson though and worse case I loose 5 or 10 euro which is cheaper than the bookies.

eth hitting 93 euros... only issue with that is the price didn't hit over 109, I'm still predicting pizza in new years.

eth hitting 93 euros... only issue with that is the price didn't hit over 109, I'm still predicting pizza in new years.

What kind of pizza you talking about?

A personal pizza is like 5 quid

Super delux family size double pepperoni from platform.

Super delux family size double pepperoni from platform.

And how much does this pizza cost?

.2 eth.. So anywhere between a fiver and forty quid..

Lots. I don't have a menu.

• Advertisement

.2 eth.. So anywhere between a fiver and forty quid..

Sure Lord shillington

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Is it just me or is there a general of fatigue with punters on crypto?

The chances of being burned are so high now for average joe and they’re fully aware so I do wonder for the sake of the invested on here where the new blood is going to come from?

Anyone who dived in for fomo surely won’t be topping up now or going back in. The whole financial world and etf thing really would be a shot in the arm but to what end?

I’d imagine the big movers would only come in to squeeze the last bit of cash from it.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic just can’t see where it gets better from here

TallyRand wrote: »

The chances of being burned are so high now for average joe and they’re fully aware so I do wonder for the sake of the invested on here where the new blood is going to come from?

Anyone who dived in for fomo surely won’t be topping up now or going back in. The whole financial world and etf thing really would be a shot in the arm but to what end?

I’d imagine the big movers would only come in to squeeze the last bit of cash from it.

Not sure I agree. I reckon those who bought in at this time last year, which includes myself FWIW, either got out long since or are in for the longer haul. I'm about 75% down on what I've spent, which is pretty much what I expected when I first got into this, and isn't a loss that would worry me in the least. I'll probably spend about the same again per year for the next couple of years with a high likelihood of losing most of it and and much smaller possibility of making a very high gain. I'm also putting a large multiple of the amount invested in crypto into other much safer low risk / low reward investments, such as a directors pension and property.

I'd guess that now is a much better time to get in than has been the case for well over a year. Where it gets better is the technology is either going to succeed, fail, or become marginalised. While any of these outcomes is possible, each year that passes is seeing the technology improved both directly and via improvements in the surrounding technology.

I'm about 75% down on what I've spent, which is pretty much what I expected when I first got into this, and isn't a loss that would worry me in the least. I'll probably spend about the same again per year for the next couple of years with a high likelihood of losing most of it and and much smaller possibility of making a very high gain. .

Seems like an odd investment strategy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd agree.
    I was involved last year, mainly via the free Lumens that I got via a thread on here a few years ago but sold up everything in Jan (not that there was that much)
    Looking at some of the posts here, it looks as if a few people here are in at higher levels than the few hundred I got out of it.

The technology itself no doubt will have merit in a number of areas in the future, but the coins - seem to be abolsute nonsense to be frank about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Of course there's a fatigue, tons of people only lobbed money in at the top because they thought it would be easy money! 90% cuts are tough to weather.
    The mantra is "only put in what you can afford to lose" for good reason. It's a time-unproven technology where the extent of what is or isn't plausible is still being figured out.
    Plenty must've put in much more than they could afford to throw away I guess. That's their fault. Personal responsibility seems to be going out of fashion these days.

Having a load of retail punters was great for speculative trading and all and may be again in the future, but if a platform or a couple of platforms start being used on a large scale over the next 5-10 years then that's the end we're speculating on I guess? Granted there's a gazillion shítcoins which will boom and bust but a platform that's getting genuine use 5-10 years away will likely be around for a much longer time unless there's some catastrophic failure. No need for retail investors to get involved, but the choice is there for them if they want to calculate their risk/reward.

• Advertisement

Not at all. A strategy that mixes a small amount of high risk / high reward with a much larger amount of low risk / low reward is common enough. Very easy to knock an investment that is currently taking a hit, as you could have done with many pension funds, AIB shares or property in recent years, but that doesn't necessarily make them a bad investment. Putting funds you couldn't afford to lose into crypto would be plain dumb, but every piece of advise you'll read on this board explicitly tells you not to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Well for anyone who got in mid 2017 and 2018 the market is (generally) lower

Anyone who got in 2017, back to 2011 the market is (certainly) higher

When a bear hits, interest dips. Low confidence sets in. When (if) the market starts to rise again then interest rises. Quite a few people I know are still up a vast amount because they got in before early 2017.

Ironically people who I couldn't stop from buying during the ridiculous FOMO in December 2017 are the same ones who wouldn't touch it now despite prices being 10x lower across the board. The tech and surrounding atmosphere hasn't changed much. This market is 95% psychological. So the mood is interdependent on the herd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I'm counting on that pessimism. Crypto has been here before with the large drops - so if anyone thinks that it is stone dead, that would be a mistake.

Ironically, there has been plenty of good news in terms of preparation for institutional investment throughout 2018 despite the bear market.

Fidelity investments - revived a crypto VC fund and set up Fidelity Digital Asset Services to deal with custody and to make crypto trades on behalf of clients.

Nasdaq will launch bitcoin futures in Q1, 2019.

Chairman of the NYSE expressed the view the other week that despite bitcoins flaws, it will be sticking around - as will crypto.

Bakkt - a spin off of ICE (owner of NYSE) will launch a physically settled futures product in January.

Ledger opens NY office to develop Ledger Vault -an institutional grade custody solution for crypto.

KPMG - produce a report suggesting that crypto is sticking around but that institutionalization of crypto is required.

Morgan Stanley report suggests their belief that crypto is an institutional grade investment class.

Goldman Sachs and Galaxy Digital invest $60 million in investment grade custody solution, Bitgo.

TD Ameritrade invest in digital currency exchange.

Goldman Sachs takes majority stake in Circle (which recently launched its own crypto) - who in turn bought crypto exchange Poloniex.

Various crypto ETF's were continually knocked back in 2018 - it's inevitable that one or more of them will be approved in 2019.

That's an incomplete list but it indicates that crypto is not going anywhere. I don't expect this to lead to a surge any time soon...it will be a slow burner but ultimately, institutional money will flow into crypto.

EDIT - Just to add, a further investment by Fidelity and Nasdaq in ErisX as of earlier today.

Little acorns turns your spare change into an investment portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Little acorns turns your spare change into an investment portfolio.

Maybe he means that someon invested their money when they expected to be 75% down at this stage, that doesn’t make sense.

Regardless of the end game, I wouldn’t pay 40 quid for something I expect to be a tenner in the near future

• Advertisement

Maybe he means that someon invested their money when they expected to be 75% down at this stage, that doesn’t make sense.

Would you invest in something had a 80% probability of being 75% down in one years time and a 20% probability of being 500% up? If not, why not?

Would you invest in something had a 80% probability of being 75% down in one years time and a 20% probability of being 500% up? If not, why not?

I wouldn't..seems like bad odds..

(Although, lets be honest, this time last year crypto was the next big thing, and was never going to be this price again, hence the "FOMO" etc..I'd say in retrospect there's a few lads sorry they didn't miss out..but, yeah.)

Haha..I'd a dude swearing blind to me last year that bitcoin would definitely be 100k this Christmas..probably closer to 250k..

Then you need to work on you maths as those are good odds. If that was a lottery with 5 tickets costing €1000 each, the cost to buy all the tickets would be €5000 and the total prize money would be €6000. Investment is always a gamble where you're looking for the bet where the odds are in your favour, as in the case I just gave. Just because a proposition is very high risk, where you're likely to lose all your money, doesn't make it a bad investment. Go ask any venture capitalist if you don't agree.

(Although, lets be honest, this time last year crypto was the next big thing, and was never going to be this price again, hence the "FOMO" etc..I'd say in retrospect there's a few lads sorry they didn't miss out..but, yeah.)

Haha..I'd a dude swearing blind to me last year that bitcoin would definitely be 100k this Christmas..probably closer to 250k..

Yeah but putting the nonsense aside, there are few "assets" that can beat BTC, Eth, Ripple etc over their span

Crypto is HIGHLY risky (and could all go to nothing) but that's what some people like as a percentage of their portfolio

I remember struggling to convince myself to buy BTC at EUR 70, that was only a few years ago. The cat may be out of the bag, there may never be another large rise/bull, but if or when there is - the sentiment on these forums changes rapidly

Lads, it was a bubble..

It has burst..

Lads, it was a bubble..

It has burst..

The xmas bubble yup, but crypto in general is up significantly, e.g. personally I am up hundreds of percent on crypto investments made last year and thousands of percent on one made in 2013

Unless you are personally predicting it's all going to close to zero?

Lads, it was a bubble..

It has burst..

It's cyclical. We've been here many times before.

?

You're posting a 860% return over 2 and a half years

• Advertisement

Yeah, but 90% of "the crypto space" has been proven to be a scam by now..loads of people got badly burned..good luck to ye like..I dunno..can't see it happening again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Yeah, but 90% of "the crypto space" has been proven to be a scam by now..loads of people got badly burned..good luck to ye like..I dunno..can't see it happening again..

Did you get caught for much?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    ?

You're posting a 860% return over 2 and a half years

:D (sshh)

It's no 'scam'. Here we go again...'scam', 'ponzi', 'pyramid'.

If you lose money because of your own conscious decisions, that's your own responsibility. Maybe it's a millennial thing but you speculate and you may win or lose. You can't go crying 'scam', 'ponzi' or 'pyramid' after the fact.

A 'scam' would be a 'dishonest scheme'. Someone has to run a scheme - so who is the culprit?

Truckermal wrote: »
    Did you get caught for much?

No..

It's no 'scam'. Here we go again...'scam', 'ponzi', 'pyramid'.

If you lose money because of your own conscious decisions, that's your own responsibility. Maybe it's a millennial thing but you speculate and you may win or lose. You can't go crying 'scam', 'ponzi' or 'pyramid' after the fact.

A 'scam' would be a 'dishonest scheme'. Someone has to run a scheme - so who is the culprit?

Yeah, but a lot of them have been shown to be actual scams,.look, yeah, you're all 'investing'..good luck to ye..

Just be careful taking financial advice off lads on YouTube..

Yeah, but a lot of them have been shown to be actual scams,.look, yeah, you're all 'investing'..good luck to ye..

There are scams surrounding cryptocurrencies - that doesn't define crypto in any way shape or form.

There have been ICO's that are vaporware. There are also penny stocks in the conventional investing world. Again, it's wrong to tar and feather all of crypto on the basis of some wayward ICO's. Other than that, there's an understanding that many altcoins will have to go - but everyone knows that not all can win out to serve the same purpose. That forms part of the speculation but it's not a scam, it's not a ponzi scheme and it's not a pyramid scheme. Those who started to use those terms had (and have) their own agenda.
    Just be careful taking financial advice off lads on YouTube..
    Yeah, that wouldnt really work out very well for conventional investment or crypto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So just to ask, my reservations have always been the exit strategy, it seems like every crypto lets you throw as much money in as possible but is there any crypto with a really quick large money exit, like 1 million euro from crypto to my bank account for less than 5% fees in 48 hours ?

So just to ask, my reservations have always been the exit strategy, it seems like every crypto lets you throw as much money in as possible but is there any crypto with a really quick large money exit, like 1 million euro from crypto to my bank account for less than 5% fees in 48 hours ?

If it's a larger volume coin, you can get off the rollercoaster pretty quickly - with any of the larger exchanges. If you're talking about the total cost, you'll have to run some comparisons between exchanges.

With the small cap coins, exiting may not be as straightforward with larger amounts. Achievable but maybe not as quickly.

• Advertisement

Weird question... You'd have to warn the bank you're about to deposit that much and also have an exchange account with a higher tier to allow you to deposit or withdraw those amounts withbout raising flags, but very few would get anywhere near a 5% fee. Slippage from selling into the market could cause that much movement but looking at the books on Kraken right now you could sell €1m of BTC and it'd be closer to 2.5% "lost" due to slippage.

Advertisement