Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should missing weight be on your record?

Options
  • 07-05-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I have been watching this happen and I don't want to "name and Shame" but some fighters just seem to constantly be at it!

So if you do not make weight should it go against you in your Lost Category?
    I would not award the win to the opponent but it has to stop. I understand if you dont make the weight the promotion will not want you again but they way things are I have seen it happen over and over same guys same promotion.

Just wondering what your opinions would be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Are you talking about missing weight so badly that you don't fight? If so, no it shouldn't count on your record as you haven't fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Yes exactly that, but is there an excuse for not making weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't see any reason for there to be a record of it tbh. If it happens regular enough then I'm sure everyone in the sport will already know about it. I don't really see what purpose it'd serve.

Just to put fighters off doing it? This one fighter has missed it 3 times each time for a belt. Do you really want those types of fighters in the sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

how much was he over?

• Advertisement

I am not sure but I have seen some where they where being carried into a sauna or on to scales or having to make weight on the 4th attempt

do you feel like they have a clear advantage or is it just a technicality? some people can cut alot and come back a day later looking much bigger then other fighters

I just think that now a days fighters know that if they are over weight they can just take a purse hit and get a catch weight.... it should not be like that. Too many people are trying to get into weights that they clearly can not and the only way to discourage them that I can see is a 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

$ausage$ wrote: »
    I just think that now a days fighters know that if they are over weight they can just take a purse hit and get a catch weight.... it should not be like that. Too many people are trying to get into weights that they clearly can not and the only way to discourage them that I can see is a 0-1
    But it's not a loss.
    If it keeps happening then eventually they won't get matched up as no one will want to fight them. It'll sort itself out.
    I don't think it's that big of a problem tbh.
    From what I've seen, 99% of fighters make weight.

A quick google about shows at least 2-3 guys in each card over and that does not show the ones that dont get to fight in a catch. one was 6 guys! 6 guys over! shocking, I honestly think its a bigger problem than some may think. Wonder if any coaches/promoters feel the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Fighters are cutting crazy amounts of weight, thats where the problem is.Promotions should work out a new system some how to control the maount fighters cut.

Answering the question fighters who miss weight carry that around with them anyway.

Thiago Alves, Anthony Johnson, Travis Lutter they'd be the 3 that spring to mind for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

A quick google about shows at least 2-3 guys in each card over and that does not show the ones that dont get to fight in a catch. one was 6 guys! 6 guys over! shocking, I honestly think its a bigger problem than some may think. Wonder if any coaches/promoters feel the same

The recent CW card had a lot of fighters not making weight. This is unusual. It's not as common as you think to miss weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

What about a tiered penalty system. First offence would 10% of the fighters purse. Second offence 25%, and so on.

Also fighters that miss weight should of course forfeit all claims to bonuses. Including win bonuses for repeat offenders.

is there prize money in amateur Irish mma?

seems like a silly question, but there is in amateur cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

is there prize money in amateur Irish mma?

seems like a silly question, but there is in amateur cycling

Some of the better guys and those fighting for titles get a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So if you do not make weight should it go against you in your Lost Category?
    I would not award the win to the opponent but it has to stop.
    Firstly, it should be recorded as a catchweight bout. And that in itself is a record of it. In the interest of the other guy, it should be recorded who missed weight. Or if it was previously agreed to fight at 163 or what ever, that too should be recorded.

But there no way the promoter can't award the win after offering a catchweight bout, there was no obligation to but once he does that he accepts the fighter having missed weight.
    The other guy doesen't have to accept the fight either, and in doing so he accepts the risk of a loss.
    Just to put fighters off doing it? This one fighter has missed it 3 times each time for a belt. Do you really want those types of fighters in the sport?
    Presumably these became non-title fights?

Mellor wrote: »
    Firstly, it should be recorded as a catchweight bout. And that in itself is a record of it. In the interest of the other guy, it should be recorded who missed weight. Or if it was previously agreed to fight at 163 or what ever, that too should be recorded.

But there no way the promoter can't award the win after offering a catch weight bout, there was no obligation to but once he does that he accepts the fighter having missed weight.
    The other guy doesn't have to accept the fight either, and in doing so he accepts the risk of a loss.

Presumably these became non-title fights?

yes in fact I think 2 didn't happen and 1 he lost but tbh fair i think he made that weight after like 5 attempts and he was still over but they turned an blind eye.

I just think its so unfair and rude its not like the fights are sprung on them they know. And its so funny when you see someone who has missed weight and then go back look at their twitter or FB and see they saying how easy it has been for this cut followed by a pic of a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

The UFC are missing a trick with the weigh ins. There should be a caption on tv for the weight they have to make before stepping on the scales. Builds up anticipation especially seeing there are so many close calls and pre weigh-in talk of 'can he' 'cant he' before the weigh in. Otherwise the average punter can only judge by fighter/ crowd reaction whether they made it or not and even then still dont know how much they made or missed weight by without the graphic.

I like that an maybe a naughty chart for amount of times they havent :)

Surely easy for some mma sites to draw up

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

With regards to missing weight on a UFC/International level a slice of your purse is sufficient as your purse will be a significant amount of money. On a regional or local scene where there is no serious money involved (or no money), I have encountered lads who are kilos away from making weight at the weigh in, complain about having to lose it (in some cases refuse to) then a deal is struck between camps. Very often the deal is struck as the offending party says he won't fight if he has to lose the full amount. So the fighter who has bust his liathr0idi to make weight and spent 2-3 months in training camp watching his diet etc has 2 options: 1. To fight the overweight guy 2. Refuse to fight and waste 2-3months of hard work.

It's a pet hate of mine, as an earlier poster has said it's not like the weight is a surprise. As someone who really enjoys the local MMA scene it gets up my nose. It's as if the offending party wants every advantage possible to win. That win would be seriously tainted but I don't know would the people involved be bothered. Serious pet hate of mine. Maybe the website naughty list may act as a deterrent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement