Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Notorious" Conor McGregor documentary airs 9.30pm Thursday (13 March) on RTE TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

gallag wrote: »
    A documentary? If he actually beats a top ten fighter will he get a life story feature length film?

There's always one...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Great documentary I really enjoyed it. The bit that said John Kavanagh is one of the best mma coaches in Europe got me thinking, surely he is now THE best mma coach in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Some of us would say he's one of if not the best coach in the world. But then, we'd be biased. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

gallag wrote: »
    A documentary? If he actually beats a top ten fighter will he get a life story feature length film?

Ah there it is, the infamous Irish begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

^^^^^One of the reasons most decent posters left this board. That and a crap mod system.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What do you want us to do? Remove the guys post? He's not saying anything offensive and he's entitled to hold and express an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

General feeling from this forum is not to say anything bad against Conor.If you do thread gets derailed by other posters disagreeing with the post.

If Conor was not Irish he might only be mentioned once or twice here during the fight card he is on.

At 1st Conor came across to me as very arrogant and 2 big for his boots but he's starting to grow on me.Looking at his old interviews his confidence has grown, Conor has made it compare him to and kid growing up playing soccer and making it to the premier league and playing for man utd Chelsea etc.

After watching the documentary I starting to like him and wish him well.

I want to see him get a tough fight go through a war and that will put end to all the doubts.

Jeremy Stephenson is the fight I want to see

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, its true, if he wasnt Irish we wouldnt be talking about him nearly as much... but he is! And no one can deny that he has done the best so far of all the irish fighters who are trying to make it into the UFC.
    And I agree with you, sometimes his relentless confidence and swagger grate but I think some of it is exuberance of youth and of fulfilling his dreams... he must feel on top of the world. I wish him well hope he wins the belt!

If people want to disagree or criticise CMcG, they are free to, but if they want the post to be respected then their posts should have some substance to it rather than seeming like sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I enjoyed the documentary myself. I like Conor McGregor's colourful attitude towards determination to constantly perfect himself for the sport, and he has a charm within him of being honest and serious with a good healthy dose of humour. I wish him the best of luck, and I hope he does well because he most definitely has a gift.

It was a well made documentary in my personal opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

dave1982 wrote: »
    Jeremy Stephenson is the fight I want to see

Jeremy Stephens has 2 daughters no son!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Just can't warm to his personality at all, far too disingenuous, even when he isn't in "entertainer" mode. And what is going on with his accent? It changes mid sentence at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Yeah, before this documentary I honestly thought he was from a rough family living in a council estate. Looking at his dad and the way he speaks I don't understand why he puts on such an accent.

Yeah, before this documentary I honestly thought he was from a rough family living in a council estate. Looking at his dad and the way he speaks I don't understand why he puts on such an accent.

Yes his home looked very nice too, buut Conor is the GOAT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ah there it is, the infamous Irish begrudgery

American man pulls up beside a Ferrari. " one day I'm gonna have a car like that "
    Irish man pulls up beside a Ferrari
    " one day I'm gonna get that bastard "

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just got around to watching this now. Very well put together doc. The lads should be proud of themselves.

Conor came across very well of course. His determination, his drive, his dedication to the sport and himself is great.

Still wish he'd stop with the accent. At first I thought it might be just him pronouncing words differently to get his accent across but the more it goes on I think it's just him putting on an accent. The scene where they caught him just as he was out of bed showed him in "non act" mode. He wasn't putting on the show man act and, more importantly, he wasn't putting on the accent. I'd like to see more of the "real" CMcG.

Aside from that stuff, there's no denying that the guy is a huge talent. I'm really glad that he's fighting someone like Cole Miller next (if so) who, while very tough, isn't a Top 10 guy so early in his career and so soon after a major injury.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just got around to watching this now. Very well put together doc. The lads should be proud of themselves.

Conor came across very well of course. His determination, his drive, his dedication to the sport and himself is great.

Still wish he'd stop with the accent. At first I thought it might be just him pronouncing words differently to get his accent across but the more it goes on I think it's just him putting on an accent. The scene where they caught him just as he was out of bed showed him in "non act" mode. He wasn't putting on the show man act and, more importantly, he wasn't putting on the accent. I'd like to see more of the "real" CMcG.

Aside from that stuff, there's no denying that the guy is a huge talent. I'm really glad that he's fighting someone like Cole Miller next (if so) who, while very tough, isn't a Top 10 guy so early in his career and so soon after a major injury.

He talks like that so people understand him. He has a very heavy Dub accent which doesn't exactly translate well outside of Ireland. This coming from a Dub who lives in Malta - I talk differently to my Maltese friends than I do with my English/Irish friends.

He talks like that so people understand him. He has a very heavy Dub accent which doesn't exactly translate well outside of Ireland. This coming from a Dub who lives in Malta - I talk differently to my Maltese friends than I do with my English/Irish friends.

Yeah, I used to live in Spain and I know exactly how it goes. But the more I listen the more it sounds like he's putting on an accent.

I've heard him speak in the company of just Dubs and he still does it

:rolleyes: You really have too much time on your hands man.

:rolleyes: You really have too much time on your hands man.

For what exactly?

• Advertisement

For what exactly?

You are making an issue out of a non issue. The dudes just expressing himself. So what if he sounds different sometimes. I don't think its anything worth focusing on. let alone getting uptight about.

You are making an issue out of a non issue. The dudes just expressing himself. So what if he sounds different sometimes. I don't think its anything worth focusing on. let alone getting uptight about.

Perhaps.

I happen to think, in turn, that the opinion of a stranger on the internet (me in this case) isn't worth focusing on.

Also, it's funny that I said a lot of positive things in that post, yet it's only the negative that is being picked out.

As someone already said, as soon as anyone says something negative, things get derailed

Perhaps.

I happen to think, in turn, that the opinion of a stranger on the internet (me in this case) isn't worth focusing on.

Also, it's funny that I said a lot of positive things in that post, yet it's only the negative that is being picked out.

As someone already said, as soon as anyone says something negative, things get derailed

Good point. You are a waste of time :D

Pretty sure his family worked hard from working class surroundings to do ok for themselves, fair play to his Ma and Da for it. But Conor's got a heavy Dublin accent. It's just how he sounds. People focusing on that and picking on it seems like just searching for something to complain and begrudge about. Picking on someone's accent is just, well, weird. My own accent doesn't sound like Cork that much because I've moved around and been around people of varying accents but I don't see anyone telling me I'm "putting it on".

Nearly of full page of people nit picking comments made by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

You think this is bad? Take a look at the thread on this in the Television section.
    The resentment towards Conor for absolutely nothing is baffling!

Welcome to message boards, a novel concept whereby people post their thoughts and people give their own thoughts back based within the confines of the thread's subject.

PS
    Nice to see someone else from Cobh likes the sport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just watched the doc and thought it was very good, apart from the content material I thought it was a good doc.

I've no MMA background what so ever but I liked McGregor and he did portray the sport in a good light.

What did shock me though was his injury and how it was dealt with. It appeared, and I could be wrong, that it didn't seem to be taken seriously at first. If you pop anything in your knee and lose power that's red flags straight away.

I hope he rehabs properly and doesn't force it back too soon.

To be fair, Conor kinda kept it quiet at first. For example, he didnt tell his corner about it during the break between rounds and I would imagine John Kavanagh probably wasnt happy about that for a start! :)

Knees get kicked and swell a lot during fights and yeah, he should have made it clearer that he was injured. When he did, he was taken for a checkup and things went from there. Fighters are adults, we have to expect them to say "hey, I have double vision..." etc. Conor should have immediately sought a checkup but its understandable after his first UFC fight he wanted to go to the press conference and didnt want to appear to be complaining etc. Its understandable, but also wrong, it could have aggravated that injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

DeVore wrote: »
    To be fair, Conor kinda kept it quiet at first. For example, he didnt tell his corner about it during the break between rounds and I would imagine John Kavanagh probably wasnt happy about that for a start! :)

Knees get kicked and swell a lot during fights and yeah, he should have made it clearer that he was injured. When he did, he was taken for a checkup and things went from there. Fighters are adults, we have to expect them to say "hey, I have double vision..." etc. Conor should have immediately sought a checkup but its understandable after his first UFC fight he wanted to go to the press conference and didnt want to appear to be complaining etc. Its understandable, but also wrong, it could have aggravated that injury.

I heard an interview on the radio following his fight and apparently John Kavanagh gave out to Conor for not telling him, that he should know exactly what's wrong with him etc. He was telling him to go for the finish when Conor himself knew he had to play it safe on the ground.

Advertisement