Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in New York

Options

Comments

Pythia wrote: »
    Afaik, that Ruehl only sells accessories.

Oh Reuhl sell clothes too.I thought it was only manbags/Sandals they sold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eirestar

FYI - that shop's not called Express Two, just Express, and the website's http://www.express.com There are a few different locations in New York. The jeans are decent all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

eirestar wrote: »
    FYI - that shop's not called Express Two, just Express, and the website's http://www.express.com There are a few different locations in New York. The jeans are decent all right.

me likey... good weblink!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mattyboy20

Woodbury commons is brilliant. I was extremely disappointed with Jersey Gardens which is quite frankly a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lucy1038

I've been in manhattan the first week in january three times now!The Rugby shop (a ralph lauren offshoot) in manhattan is probably my fav shop in the whole of NY!! its really cool and they have really different clothes than you'd expect of RL. prices aren't too bad either. you can check it out at www.rugby.com. its near union square.
    forever 21 is amazing! seriously cheap and cheerful!
    i think it is worth going to woodbury commons for the day. don't forget to get your coupon booklet from the visitor centre. i think the problem in jan can be that there are sales in the outlet so you can get left with the dregs of what's there!
    The MAC pro shop near the flatiron building it worth the trip as the staff are better trained than in Macy's etc and also its never as busy!
    Rickys NYC is an amazing chain of drugstores that also do all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. they stock the full range of OPI and essie nail polishes and its really cheap. many branches in manhattan.
    The abercrombie shop at south street seaport is better than the one on 5th as firstly its not as busy and secondly the actual shop is better layed out.
    I'm sure I've forgotten loads but I'll post it when i remember :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mallchick

Hello All,

I am new to this thread and I just want to say hi to everybody. I also wanted to know is shopping in New York really that nice? I work in fashion and it is my dream to go to New York just to go shopping. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

hi mallchick

The shopping in new york is great... but its just the whole experience in general... you just being in new york is brilliant. There is so much to see and do.

You should definately go, just make sure you save your pennies for a while and then you can really splurge when you get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Clothes aside can anyone reccomend shops for gadgets and electrical bits n bobs?Ie iphones digicameras ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

One shop for all that - B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 claireybear

Heading over shortly, hoping to get a few nice pairs of jeans, I'm curvy is it hard to get bigger sizes? Never been before:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Depends on how curvy. I did notice Macy's had a big plus size section though.

If you are quite curvy, there's this place, kinda like Evans http://www.lanebryant.com/pagebuilder/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

I was in NY last year and I loved Woodbury Commons, you'll find serious bargains there!..Best advice is get a locker to put your stuff in!.

Fifth Avenue is brilliant, it's where you'll find Abercrombie (packed, dark and you'll queue for aaaages but it's worth it.)

Also, Canal street is fab for bags.. Century 21 is great if you don't mind searching for things..Its not as bad as TK Max which I personally can't stand but it's admittedly on the same sort of line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

Forever 21, beside Macy's. Amazing Topshop style clothes at Penney's prices, and they're really good quality!

Wasn't mad about Woodbury Common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FUNKYTOWWWN

I'm heading over in October to New york hoping yo do some serious shopping there and people have been telling me that the clothes over there are pretty plain and not great! :/ which is worrying me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

I go over there quite a bit.

tbh, I do find the clothes a little plain, it's hard to get something that isn't the big brands or isn't very casual....takes a bit more searching!

The bigger Victoria's Secret has some stuff that's dressy,quslity isn't hectic though. I've found some quirky pieces in Dress Barn of all places but you really have to head to Soho or Nolita for things that are unique I've found. Duffy's isn't bad either for some things but again it's one of those places where you've to sort through rails

The staples of jeans, TH,RL etc are very easily found in all sizes.
    Woodbury Common is good but very spread out & in the open air. Jersey Gardens is smaller & indoors but I never find as good a selection though. It is easier to get to but don't come back into Manhattan around 4.50 or 5 because the bus is like a bus is jammed then & lots of people don't get on.It's also like a bus into town because it's all Irish:D

I've always found Macy's good, Sephora is well worth a visit,5th ave obviously & I love South St. Seaport for quirky little shops. There's a shop there called Serendipity I think, has all these little cute pieces of jewellry & household items & a poster shop opposite which has the funnuest posters I've seen.

Electrics, B&H or J&R, I've always found J&R a bit better but lots use B&H too

Enjoy all!

Thats not the case at all. It just depends on where you go. There is alot of fashion to be bought!!
    The likes of Gap, Old Navy etc wont have any going out type clothes.... and over in NY they have a lot of stores that are very similar.

If its going out tops your looking hit bloomingdales, macys, walk down broadway alll the way past union square there are loads of cool shops including a hughe Urban Outfitters which is open til 10pm I thuink? And is waaaaay cheaper than the one here.

Charlotte Russe also do some really nice clothes and very cheap have a look at their website for an idea: http://www.charlotterusse.com/home/index.jsp They have a store in the Manhatten Mall which is 2min walk from macys

I am loving this cropped jacket! http://www.charlotterusse.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3183426&cp=2745081.2903746&view=all&parentPage=family

its just a shame you cant get it delivered to ireland
    Happy shopping!!

As I said I find the stuff a bit plain...I have got a few pieces in Bloomies alright.Not too sure about quality in UO,do love all the quirky household stuff tho!:)

Different strokes for different folks I guess:)

As I said I find the stuff a bit plain...I have got a few pieces in Bloomies alright.Not too sure about quality in UO,do love all the quirky household stuff tho!:)

Different strokes for different folks I guess:)

Sorry ladybird I wasnt making a stab at you there... I think our posts crossed :)

Wouldnt you just love to live there... every time I do the lotto Im like... if I win Im buying a place there!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

The Burlington Coat Factory (think it's 23rd St, 6th Avenue) is fab for Winter Coats and lots of other bits and bobs. If you're going to Century 21 go early in the morning, because the place is relatively tidy first thing in the morning and you wont' be queuing all day for the changing rooms. I think they allow you 12/14 items in the changing rooms now though.

I went to Daffys as well on Heralds sq, worth a visit.

Lord & Taylor is very good too, not a discount place (actually quite upmarket) but they've great stuff, and quite good sales racks. 5th avenue...can't remem the street.

I like Woodbury Common when I was there a few years ago. I got a lot of things that don't really go out of fashion, coats, shoes, bags, jeans...but that said I haven't returned since and I've been in NY twice since then.

That shoe place under Filenes Basement in Union Sq is very good, and there's a TJ Maxx near there too I think ( I didn't like it too much, it's the same as TK Maxx here, but maybe a few more good labels).

Went to the Loemans in Chelsea and it was only ok, i'll have to check out the one on 72nd st.

hockeygirl wrote: »

Wouldnt you just love to live there... every time I do the lotto Im like... if I win Im buying a place there!!

Oh gosh yah, desperately seeking manhattan apartment :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi i'm heading to New York in two weeks time and i was thinking of buying a digital camera - i checked out that place that was mentioned - bh photo i think it was but i didnt come across the particular model that i want (canon ixus 80) - is there anywhere else i could try? And are digital cameras really that much cheaper than in Ireland?

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Just thought I'd say...I'm going tomorrow morning! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi i'm heading to New York in two weeks time and i was thinking of buying a digital camera - i checked out that place that was mentioned - bh photo i think it was but i didnt come across the particular model that i want (canon ixus 80) - is there anywhere else i could try? And are digital cameras really that much cheaper than in Ireland?

Thanks! :)

Check out Best Buy - they are always cheap for electronics and have a store in downtown Manhattan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FUNKYTOWWWN

just wondering has anyone been to chinatown?

just wondering has anyone been to chinatown?
    Yes, the food is real Chinese - more like what you'll get in China itself than in your local Chinese restaurant that caters for Western tastes.

For those thinking of buying electronic goods in NY, watch out for customs on your way back through Dublin airport. You are liable for import duties.

For those buying clothes or shoes (men and women) check out Syms at 400 Park Avenue. Their prices are excellent (Hugo Boss suits at $399, Ralp Lauren $250). If you're lucky you might catch one of their famous
    'bashes' when everything is slashed. Last time I caught one of these I was buying Calvin Klein shirts for $4, Italian shoes for $12 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

PDN wrote: »
    Check out Best Buy - they are always cheap for electronics and have a store in downtown Manhattan.

just checked best buy website and I can't believe it but the camera i want is only 200$! That's 140e - it's about 300 to buy in Ireland!

Someone said something about import duty - can i not just pass it off as my own camera when i'm coming back - like i had it all the time?:D

leahyl wrote: »
    just checked best buy website and I can't believe it but the camera i want is only 200$! That's 140e - it's about 300 to buy in Ireland!
    Make sure that they have the camera you want in stock at that particular store. Occasionally some of the stuff on the website isn't available in the stores. A quick phone call should confirm it.
    Someone said something about import duty - can i not just pass it off as my own camera when i'm coming back - like i had it all the time?
    You can try. :)

Seriously, I travel to the US about once a month on business, and only once in three years have customs ever stopped me at Dublin - and that was because I had a couple of big boxes clearly labelled as being a desktop computer and a monitor. However, please note that this is purely a piece of information I am giving you. The mod of the Christianity forum could hardly be encouraging you to evade customs duty - could he? :)

I find that the bargains on clothes in the US are even better than with electronics. This afternoon I bought myself a very nifty Perry Ellis shirt for $3 and a really smart Ike Behar white dress shirt (retails at $150) for $7 - both on the clearance racks at TJ Maxx.

Happy shopping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleBear

This is a depressing thread...i do anything to go back 2weeks is not long enough!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sonx

feck the budget while n New York, it's all going to be soooooooo much cheaper than what u pay for it here, so who cares if u buy a whole new wardrobe!!! Shop away... unless your bank manager rings you up to tell you they think your credit cards been stolen cause it was maxed out in a day, which hasn't happened to anyone I know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sillygrace

jus wonderin if any 1 can help!!! im travellin 2 nyc nxt month and i cant decide which to choose; woodbury or jersey gardens!
    im more interested in handbags, jeans nd hoodies than anythin else shopping wise!! and shoes and tops n jumpers!:D
    the brands im more interested in are guess, juicy couture, abercrombie, hilfiger, nine west etc! so im just wondering where is more suited to me! ive read that woodbury is very pretty whereas jerseys surroundings arent so nice but im not interested in scenery at all! just the actual shopping! if anyone can tell me what would be a better choice id be really grateful!
    im looking for a good selection of nice clothes, bags etc but at good value too! thanks! xx:)xx

Advertisement