Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mma classes for teens

Options
  • 09-11-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

i am a teenager and i would love to start mma. on and off in a few martial arts( not long on at any of them) few weeks of judo and boxing. but i am really interested in trying mma. i am 14.
    does anyone no any clubs in the D4 D2 D6 or blackrock, dun laoighre Along the south dartline.
    wild geese martial arts have mma but not for teens, neither do sbg.
    all answers are much apprechiated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Personally I don't think you need a teen specific class. If you are a complete beginner it makes no difference if you are 14, 18 or 24.
    You don't need to worry about being smaller as you'll be paired up based on size. One of the biggest guys I partner with is a teen, and the smallest is probably the oldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Mellor wrote: »
    Personally I don't think you need a teen specific class. If you are a complete beginner it makes no difference if you are 14, 18 or 24.
    You don't need to worry about being smaller as you'll be paired up based on size. One of the biggest guys I partner with is a teen, and the smallest is probably the oldest.

People coaching minors need Garda vetting as far as I know, so it's not as simple as popping down to your local class and they'll let you train.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Clive wrote: »
    People coaching minors need Garda vetting as far as I know, so it's not as simple as popping down to your local class and they'll let you train.
    SBG definitely have minors who train there. So I presume that's already covered.
    I'd be surprised in any of the larger clubs didn't have it. A larger club would be best to increase chances of size match partner (if needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Mellor wrote: »
    SBG definitely have minors who train there. So I presume that's already covered.
    I'd be surprised in any of the larger clubs didn't have it. A larger club would be best to increase chances of size match partner (if needed)

Specific coaches (who deal with minors or vulnerable adults) would have it but it's not an easy thing for MMA clubs to organise so I'd very surprised if more than ten percent of MMA coaches nationally do

Advertisement