Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Because I ran out of colors pretty quickly with EU I have used symbols on some tabs so for example I have used a pink tab for all the institutions. Plain pink for the parliament and then a pink tab with zig zag for the commission and a pink tab with horizontal lines for the courts etc.... I hope this is ok ??

No, I marked a single dot on some pink tabs as ran out of colours and they snipped them off before the exam. plain tab or they will remove. Fell foul of this myself last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Oh noooo! Thanks for letting me know . They are only do spot checks this time so i might chance it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Oh noooo! Thanks for letting me know . They are only do spot checks this time so i might chance it ....

Yeah does that mean that we don't have to hand in our Blackstones beforehand?

I presume so. If we are hand it in the day before it's just creating more social interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

It is obvious why legislation has to be submitted the day before so it can be santised.I think online exams with a time extension are a much better option than 3 hours in a mask.

There is no option to hand it in the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

vid36 wrote: »
    It is obvious why legislation has to be submitted the day before so it can be santised.I think online exams with a time extension are a much better option than 3 hours in a mask.

I wouldn't want someone flicking through and breathing on my Blackstone Articles after flicking through 100 others. As far as I'm aware you can't sanitise paper without wetting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

EU law

Can someone please clarify:

Indistinctly applicable rule (indirectly discrimatory)
    Can these rules be justified either on the basis of Art 36 TFEU, or pursuant to the mandatory requirements in the general interest.

Or is it just the mandatory requirements?

steveeq wrote: »
    Anything about liquids/drinks?

I don’t think it says anything but not allowing us to rehydrate when already sweating from stress and exams would be borderline inhumane!

• Advertisement

I don’t think it says anything but not allowing us to rehydrate when already sweating from stress and exams would be borderline inhumane!

This must be your first rodeo with the Law Society. Borderline inhumane is par for the course lol.

I would say they will allow it. Rules have always stated no drinks etc in the exam hall, have never seen it enforced. Once the distance is being kept it should be ok, fairly safe to say not allowing candidates to rehydrate during an exam in August could be a step to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheLawGuy

Could someone send me an up to date Tort grid please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Just got my letter and I am in Rochestown park hotel Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Anyone else still not received the letter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Boltabb

Anyone else still not received the letter ?

I haven't either. Also didn't get the email last week about the Covid form to fill in. Quite concerned I've fallen through a gap somewhere - had registration confirmed back in June.

Boltabb wrote: »
    I haven't either. Also didn't get the email last week about the Covid form to fill in. Quite concerned I've fallen through a gap somewhere - had registration confirmed back in June.

I’ve emailed twice now ! I’d suggest ringing them at 2 after lunch.

I’m going to keep trying until I’ve an answer

• Advertisement

Ah thats awful! You might have to call in. The covid clearance form date has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

Boltabb wrote: »

No one got an email to fill in that form - you just fill it in yourself on the website.

Hiya1234 wrote: »
    No one got an email to fill in that form - you just fill it in yourself on the website.

It was online yes but I got an email telling me to fill it out

I got an email to fill it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

I also got the email, filled it in but no letter yet
    I got an email to fill it in.

• Advertisement

Oh I didnt. I just filled it in on the website, then got a confirmation email to say I have filled it in and I got my letter today

Oh I didnt. I just filled it in on the website, then got a confirmation email to say I have filled it in and I got my letter today

Oh I didn’t get a confirmation that I filled it in

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Oh I didn’t get a confirmation that I filled it in

Same I didn't get any confirmation email once I had it filled in, and I also haven't gotten a letter from the law society yet. Complete joke it's all left this late

Maybe yer post just hasn't arrived yet? I dont know! Hope ye get sorted soon!

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Same I didn't get any confirmation email once I had it filled in, and I also haven't gotten a letter from the law society yet. Complete joke it's all left this late

They’re not very organized at all. I noticed it in March they leave everything last minute and don’t communicate

Maybe yer post just hasn't arrived yet? I dont know! Hope ye get sorted soon!

Nope post was here hours ago haha. I’m only in Meath so it definitely should’ve been here if sent out last week

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

I think the no water thing was a bit of an exaggeration. Doesn't say anywhere in letter it is prohibited. Its not included in list of items allowed into exam but they have always said 'no food/drinks' and everyone has water with them anyway. I'll be taking mine especially stuck in a facemask for 3hrs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm covering like 20 topics and I'm still worrying that I won't get 5 Q's for Tort. I hate this subject more than anything :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BlackhallPlz

Slightly (very) worried about EU. Is this enough:

1. Competition
    2. Equality
    3. FMOG
    4. FMOW
    5. Citizenship
    6. Member state liability
    7. Direct effect
    8. Judicial review
    9. General principles/ FR

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

I'm covering like 20 topics and I'm still worrying that I won't get 5 Q's for Tort. I hate this subject more than anything :mad:

Very hard to learn 20, your more than sorted if you have them.
    I am gambling with these:

Defamation
    Vicarious liability
    Rylands
    Nuisance
    Occupiers liability
    Defective products
    Damages
    Limitations
    Negligence (duty of care, causation etc
    Tort of passing off
    Nervous shock
    Res ISpa loquitor
    Employers liability
    Contributory negligence.

• Advertisement

channing90 wrote: »
    Very hard to learn 20, your more than sorted if you have them.
    I am gambling with these:

Defamation
    Vicarious liability
    Rylands
    Nuisance
    Occupiers liability
    Defective products
    Damages
    Limitations
    Negligence (duty of care, causation etc
    Tort of passing off
    Nervous shock
    Res ISpa loquitor
    Employers liability
    Contributory negligence.

Yeah like realistically and thinking objectively, you will be fine with those topics more often than not. But subjectively, I got badly burned by Tort in a past sitting where I cut topics and could only answer 4 on the day, so I have an irrational fear about Tort more than any other subject :D It was a particularly difficult paper though

Yeah like realistically and thinking objectively, you will be fine with those topics more often than not. But subjectively, I got badly burned by Tort in a past sitting where I cut topics and could only answer 4 on the day, so I have an irrational fear about Tort more than any other subject :D It was a particularly difficult paper though

I don’t think I quite have 20 but the sheer volume is just absolutely melting my brain! I only have one exam to sit but I feel far more panicked about tort than any others in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Absolute ball of anxiety.

I'm nervous about issue spotting, correctly identifying the issue/topic being examined but I'm particularly worried about Duty of Care. I reckon it's due a run, and I will be avoiding all the essay questions at all costs, but I don't know how to apply all the cases/facts to a problem question on DoC.

I know this sounds really stupid but I know the cases and the development etc, but I don't know what I should say or include in a problem question about duty of care? Take the two recent exam questions, question 1 March 18 and question 1 march 17. I wouldn't even know where to start and would really appreciate if someone could give me a steer or pointers or sample answer cos it is stressing the life out of me!

Please and thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 13 student2019

Opinions on:
    Duty of care
    Causation
    Psych Damage
    Employer's liability
    Defamation
    Vicarious liability
    Trespass against the person
    Passing off
    Damages
    Limitation of actions

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

OMGWACA wrote: »

I'm nervous about issue spotting, correctly identifying the issue/topic being examined but I'm particularly worried about Duty of Care. I reckon it's due a run, and I will be avoiding all the essay questions at all costs, but I don't know how to apply all the cases/facts to a problem question on DoC.

I know this sounds really stupid but I know the cases and the development etc, but I don't know what I should say or include in a problem question about duty of care? Take the two recent exam questions, question 1 March 18 and question 1 march 17. I wouldn't even know where to start and would really appreciate if someone could give me a steer or pointers or sample answer cos it is stressing the life out of me!

March 18 q1 is hitting on liability for 3rd parties. It’s not in some manuals poorly enough, but in Lawschool.ie one. I haven’t covered it as I think it’s a really narrow area and he won’t repeat. Open to correction.

March 17 Q1 is more about the standard of care imo but again, I am open to correction - facts extremely similar to vowels v Evans (from memory).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MonikaCh84

Does anyone know if 2010 is the only edition of the Consolidated Treaties that we can have or can we also use the e.g. 2016 one? (and i don't mean the Blackstone version but the treaties published by the EU Office)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Does anyone know if you can use an Age Card or a Public Services Card for ID on the day? My passport is out of date (would still probs be fine) and I don’t drive. Thanks!

From my notes both are to do with the duty owed by schools/parents to care for children

March 2017 also has some vicarious Liability because it says to advise the school so you have to look at whether peter was an employee of the school

• Registered Users Posts: 1 krism3

Those are tricky ones imo, I struggle with them also. For March 18 - I would establish whether theres a public nuisance, then a duty of care to Harry. Once established, consider whether Mary is vicariously liable for Matthew's actions injuring Harry. W/ Mar 17 - I would establish the school owed Sam a duty not to cause him reasonably foreseeable injury etc.. Then decide whether the school is vicariously liable for Peter's decision to allow Sam to continue playing, considering a frolic regarding breach of procedure and whether Sam is contributorily negligent considering his age.

Going off other responses I may be well off. It would be interesting if others could chime in about what they think of this one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rainbow25

My manual is from 2018 and I'm a bit worried I'm missing out on the recent cases. At the moment recent cases wise I have:

Nuisance/Negligence: UCC v ESB
    Vicarious Liab: Various claimants v Barclays Bank
    Limitations: Green v Hardiman

Are there any other ones I should really add?

Morrissey v HSE is a 2020 case for vicarious liability and professional negligence

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Does anyone know if you can use an Age Card or a Public Services Card for ID on the day? My passport is out of date (would still probs be fine) and I don’t drive. Thanks!

Public services card is fine I used it several times as my ID.

The first time (March 2017) they had no idea what it was! I convinced them anyway by grovelling!

I saw people using it as ID in the March 2020 sitting so yes tl;dr it is fine! I've never spotted anyone using an Age Card as id so I'd stick with the PSC. In my time I've seen passports, passport cards, psc's, driving licences and civil servants using the id of their Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawLover2020

Does anybody have an easy on the development of the duty of care that they are willing to share?

When people say they are covering duty of care - what do you mean - that you're covering the entire chapter?

I have notes on most other tort topics that I am more than happy to swap in return.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Public services card is fine I used it several times as my ID.

The first time (March 2017) they had no idea what it was! I convinced them anyway by grovelling!

I saw people using it as ID in the March 2020 sitting so yes tl;dr it is fine! I've never spotted anyone using an Age Card as id so I'd stick with the PSC. In my time I've seen passports, passport cards, psc's, driving licences and civil servants using the id of their Department.

Thank you so much!

Small tip for EU -

So while I've been studying EU, a lot of the time I'm like God, EU law is an absolute mess. This reminded me of a tip the City Colleges lecturer said in their night before notes video that they put up back in March - Try to as much as possible to take a pro-EU stance. I think he said the examiner prefers this as opposed to ripping it to shreds. I'm thinking mainly in terms of the democratic deficit, problems with judicial review, that kind of thing. Be critical but don't be overly harsh.

Not sure how useful this will be but meh, thought it was worth sharing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

what topic is democratic deficit in? don't think i have that in my manual or else i missed it

what topic is democratic deficit in? don't think i have that in my manual or else i missed it

Democratic deficit refers to how the Commission and the Council hold most of the power but the Parliament is the only institution directly elected by the people, basically just the Institutions topic generally

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Are ppl covering priciples of effectiveness and equivalence for MS liability.

Painful area and it doesn't appear too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LawStudent1234

I'm covering it just in case I'm stuck as I really don't want to do an institutions question, can't seem to absorb it whatsoever

Just curious, wondering if anyone concerned about sitting in an exam hall? Has anyone had confirmation of what the measures are on the day? sent back form etc but no response or letter.
    Considering not sitting, but concerned am being an alarmist, just wondering what others thoughts are.

Considering that if things get worse in winter may be skipping October using the logic currently going around my head at the moment. Not looking for advice, just wondering if I am the only one pausing for thought.

I think at this stage I just want to know what the plan is for next week in the exam halls.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement