Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracking laminate in new build

Options
  • 24-07-2020 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I have two type of laminate installed in a new build. The bedrooms and the rest. The bedrooms are fine but the 'rest' is creaky and cracking when you walk on it. More so in the summer. The ‘rest is actually dearer and more expensive with a higher spec. It looks like the floor is wrapped.

I've had the carpenter out twice who basically made more space around the edges. Charged for it too...
    I've had the shop owner out and the laminate rep out and they don't see a problem. They are saying it looks fine and the other (but different) laminate is fine.
    I personally think the laminate was put down too quickly between delivery onsite, given it time to acclimatise when the heating was on and install. If I remember correctly it was about 1-2 days and did question the chippy if it was enough. He was mad to get going and said it wouldn’t be a problem. I think it’s warped now.

I'm left with the usual building industry crap of everyone blaming each other. What options do I have for recourse with either party if any??..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Laminate shouldn’t need time to settle I don’t think as there should be no moisture content compared to solid timber planks. Solid timber can take months to dry out before it is put down and the moisture content needs to be carefully checked.

I also never heard to it warping, maybe can you upload some photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭chooseusername

tedimc wrote: »
    Laminate shouldn’t need time to settle I don’t think as there should be no moisture content compared to solid timber planks. Solid timber can take months to dry out before it is put down and the moisture content needs to be carefully checked.

I also never heard to it warping, maybe can you upload some photos?

It's the moisture content of the room that the laminate needs to acclimatise to.
    If the room house is completely dry,ie; all plaster and paint dry, and temperature at right level,
    it would still need a couple of days in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

It's the moisture content of the room that the laminate needs to acclimatise to.
    If the room house is completely dry,ie; all plaster and paint dry, and temperature at right level,
    it would still need a couple of days in the room.

Really? I didn’t know that with laminate. I thought that as it’s mostly plastic, moisture had little effect on it - hence why it can be used in bathrooms, etc.

I agree you wouldn’t want to lay it when the house was still very damp, but I would have thought that after a few days you would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

No the house was fine it had been give plenty of drying time. That was the only thing I could think of was the laiminate might have gone from a warehouse to a warm house and was been laid a day after.

Either way though I'm left with a cracking laminate when you walk on it and neither chippy or supplier is taking responsibility. What are my options in trying to get this resolved ? Small claims court maybe ? It's a pain to have paid both good money and be left with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If the laminate is cracking or creaking when you walk on it, the floor underneath is probably unlevel or if it's plywood on joist they are not fixed correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

HHmm interesting. Its on concrete screed and the crekaing stuff is in the hallway & living room where as the bedrooms (different cheaper laminate) are all fine.

It just the usual building crap you pay both parties good money to get a job done and then they just point the fingers at each other when something goes wrong..

Advertisement