Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jury duty day of attending a wedding

• 17-10-2019 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can an exception be made if one has been asked to attend jury duty the day of a wedding?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How close a connection have you with the wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

He's the priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

He's the priest.

Then he attends jury duty, as he can get a locum. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

But then he'll disappoint the altar boy.

Mod
    SmartinMartin
    Thank you for that. Now please stay off this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They seem to be pretty good about letting people off for it. Presumably it’s late in the week and your in from the monday? Send a copy of the invite and the hotel reservation if you have one and say I’m happy to attend mon - weds/thurs and I’d say you’d be excused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Clergy, ministers of religion, nuns etc are all exempt from jury service
    Re excusing from service - as Salmoncab says, except that some trials can run longer than expected so would be safer to seek to be excused for all that week.
    Most County Registrars are reasonable about such issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

nuac wrote:
    Clergy, ministers of religion, nuns etc are all exempt from jury service Re excusing from service - as Salmoncab says, except that some trials can run longer than expected so would be safer to seek to be excused for all that week. Most County Registrars are reasonable about such issues

I'm guessing here but I think they are exempt because they see the good in everyone. Every single scumbag in court has a reference letter from the priest. I'm almost certain that I read, a judge summoned the chaplain from cloverhill remand prison to explain how he can give a character reference for everyone man in cloverhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

1ead7b41ef3deed0a7650b299c1ba5835a42a34ccce976c0c5177e466d062bf1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm guessing here but I think they are exempt because they see the good in everyone.

There are several reasons. Priests ten to know more people than others and they tend to know information that wouldn't be available generally, e.g. through confession or conversation generally. Other jurors may be unduly defer to priests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

How close a connection have you with the wedding?

My other halfs father is getting married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Get a letter from your gp stating you are mentally unwell and unfit to sit on jury duty.theyll never bother you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can an exception be made if one has been asked to attend jury duty the day of a wedding?

Thanks

I'd just write back and tell them this. My OH was excused recently as I was unwell. They seem to be very accommodating if you have a valid reason

Get a letter from your gp stating you are mentally unwell and unfit to sit on jury duty.theyll never bother you again.

I could but I don't think that is the moral thing to do. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

stevek93 wrote: »
    My other halfs father is getting married.

Definitely should count as an exception.

I got excused once because I had booked a holiday with a non-refundable deposit. Another time because I had moved to another county so wasn't in that courts area.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gmannix1000

A friend had really cheap flights (30euros return) to visit family he had in the UK, the week he got called for Jury Duty. He just sent off proof of flights and he was excused.

Thanks all looks like we should be OK.

Advertisement