Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OK to open letter not addressed to me? (hand delivered)

• 16-10-2019 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I came home yesterday to find a letter dropped in my door that was addressed to a previous occupant (I recognise the name from pervious mail).

Normally I'd pop this into the postbox with *Not at this address* written on it but...

It wasn't posted, it was hand delivered and said "very urgent" on it.
    There is no return address on the envelope.

Does the fact this wasn't posted change whether or not it's legal to open it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Why would you need to open it ? It's not for you.
    If you think their might be contact details for the person who dropped it in, then let the post office open it and return it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its still mail, hand delivered or not and its not addressed to you so I would just leave it be. Or you could try and track the old tennant on FB or ask your landlord for their contact details to let them know it is there or give you permission to open it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Why would you need to open it ? It's not for you.
    If you think their might be contact details for the person who dropped it in, then let the post office open it and return it.
    Post office won’t want anything to do with it if it wasn’t posted ... don’t open it OP try get in contact with the person if possible.. social media is probably an option if you don’t have contact details. Why would feel the need to open it ? It’s obviously a personal letter if hand delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just put it in recycling like we all do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If its urgent it will find its way to them

If its some twerp who marked it urgent it wont

Likely a demand for money from some vulture such as esb when the final bill wasnt paid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Point taken on not opening it.

Judging by the envelope etc. it's business/official in nature.
    No landlord and this person wouldn't have lived here for at least 18 months (I don't even know if they were the most recent occupants)

Why do I care?
    If a company took the time to hand deliver a letter then they're not going to let it drop and I don't want them banging down my door.
    What I would like to do is let the company/whoever know that they have the wrong address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Could always open it and then put it in a new envelope so that even if you do send it on to the new place they will not be sure that it was opened.

And anyway, what are they going to do? take you to court over a ripped envelope? lol. I've opened stuff several times for long gone tenants. It goes in the bin afterwards.

harr wrote: »
    Post office won’t want anything to do with it if it wasn’t posted ... don’t open it OP try get in contact with the person if possible.. social media is probably an option if you don’t have contact details. Why would feel the need to open it ? It’s obviously a personal letter if hand delivered.

They will open it and try and return it.

Could always open it and then put it in a new envelope so that even if you do send it on to the new place they will not be sure that it was opened.
    I'm not trying to get it to the person, I'm trying to get it back to the sender.
    I've opened stuff several times for long gone tenants. It goes in the bin afterwards.
    I always try to get stuff returned - that way whoever sent it knows to stop sending stuff to this address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Open it if you must. You can always claim it was opened in error, along with the rest of your post, as you hadn't looked at the addressed side.

Happened us years ago. It was from a solicitor and contained a cheque for a five figure sum as part of an inheritance. They were very glad we contacted them to say it wasn't for us.

• Advertisement

They will open it and try and return it.

No they won't. It wasn't sent through An Post.

No they won't. It wasn't sent through An Post.

You're incorrect. I'm speaking from experience. Put it back in the post box. The sorting office has a dedicated department for mail without addresses and a process they follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭NotToScale

I wonder if it could possibly be form the local Catholic Church? I'm not Catholic and I often get letters from the local Church, hand delivered, and addressed to me, looking for donations.

No amount of telling them that I'm not one of their flock seems to cause them to update their list. I don't think it's malicious though, rather it's just a bunch of quite elderly people trying to manage a mailing list on paper.

It's possible they've the previous occupant's address on a list and often those letters can look fairly 'business like' on the outside.

There's absolutely no way of ascertaining who sent you that letter and I am not sure what the legal position is on opening an item like that if it's addressed to someone else.

If you're sticking to the letter of the law, just put it through the shredder as it's not your data, it's not post from the post office and you've no way of forwarding it.

Mail that's delivered to you by An Post can just be put back into any post box.
    All you do is put a couple of lines through the address on the front and write "NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS - RETURN TO SENDER" but with a hand delivered note, not much you can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You're incorrect. I'm speaking from experience. Put it back in the post box. The sorting office has a dedicated department for mail without addresses and a process they follow.

Your not speaking from experience of reading the thread and understanding the problem though, are you...?

:D

endacl wrote: »
    Your not speaking from experience of reading the thread and understanding the problem though, are you...?

:D

I'm replying to the third line of the op first post.
    Normally they would put it in the post box with not known at this address.

Try and keep up, or keep on banging those keys. ;)
    I'm trying to help.

I'm replying to the third line of the op first post.
    Normally they would put it in the post box with not known at this address.

Try and keep up, or keep on banging those keys. ;)
    I'm trying to help.

No. This was hand delivered. An Post have no interest or part in it.

NotToScale wrote: »
    I wonder if it could possibly be form the local Catholic Church? I'm not Catholic and I often get letters from the local Church, hand delivered, and addressed to me, looking for donations.

Ha!

I get those too, it's not one of those.

Out of curiosity (and because y'know, this is legal discussion), can someone point me to the relevant legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Out of curiosity (and because y'know, this is legal discussion), can someone point me to the relevant legislation?

Think that covers it.

Think that covers it.

Interesting, on a quick reading it looks like it only applies to mail delivered by a "postal service". A "postal service" being a body that's registered with comreg to provide these services.

Could be a bit of a catch-22 here - how would you know that it wasn't delivered by one of these services without opening the letter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

No. This was hand delivered. An Post have no interest or part in it.

Yeah its an SEP, Someone Elses Problem, until its not.

Stick it in the letter box and it becomes An Posts problem and they have a system for sorting the problem out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Interesting, on a quick reading it looks like it only applies to mail delivered by a "postal service". A "postal service" being a body that's registered with comreg to provide these services.

Could be a bit of a catch-22 here - how would you know that it wasn't delivered by one of these services without opening the letter?

You're reading it wrong.

The bit about a postal worker is saying that it's an offence if a postal worker opens it for unauthorized reasons(contrary to duty). Because there are obviously circumstances when the postal service can open it.

So if you take that bit out

"A person commits an offence if he or she, without the agreement of the addressee and, in the case of a person who is a postal service provider or an employee or agent of a postal service provider, contrary to his or her duty, intentionally—..............interferes with or opens, a postal packet ........"

It's simply a postal packet. No stipulation on the manner or by whom it was dispatched.

Sorry, I probably should have given a more full reply.

“postal packet” means an item addressed in the final form in which it is to be carried by a postal service provider and includes a letter, parcel, packet or any other article transmissible by post;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

my3cents wrote: »
    Yeah its an SEP, Someone Elses Problem, until its not.

Stick it in the letter box and it becomes An Posts problem and they have a system for sorting the problem out.

It's unstamped and has the OPs address on it. They'll just deliver it back to them with an underpaid postage sticker it they do anything at all

They are not in any way responsible here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Put a stamp on. Then post it. It get delivered to OP. Op then returns it as not know at this address.

Problem solved for the price of a stamp.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Put a stamp on. Then post it. It get delivered to OP. Op then returns it as not know at this address.

Wonderful solution.
    That means that when it's returned they have the right/duty to open it?

Only issue could be that it says "by hand" on the envelope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

You're reading it wrong.

The bit about a postal worker is saying that it's an offence if a postal worker opens it for unauthorized reasons(contrary to duty). Because there are obviously circumstances when the postal service can open it.

So if you take that bit out

"A person commits an offence if he or she, without the agreement of the addressee and, in the case of a person who is a postal service provider or an employee or agent of a postal service provider, contrary to his or her duty, intentionally—..............interferes with or opens, a postal packet ........"

It's simply a postal packet. No stipulation on the manner or by whom it was dispatched.

The part in bold is the important part:-
    “postal packet” means an item addressed in the final form in which it is to be carried by a postal service provider and includes a letter, parcel, packet or any other article transmissible by post

The offence specifically applies to a postal packet sent via a postal service provider, i.e it must involve a letter which has gone through the clearance, sorting, transport and distribution process.

There is no offence relating to the opening of a letter which has not gone through a postal service provider such as hand delivered mail.

The only potential issue is for a claim of breach of privacy which is on the civil side, not criminal. Opening a letter not addressed to you is a breach of Article 8 of the ECHR irrespective of how it is sent/received, in the Narinan vs Finland [2004] 5027/98 case the ECtHR held the level of protection is very high and even opening one simple letter is a major breach as there is no de minimis principle for interference of the right to privacy to occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Open it to facilitate returning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jhegarty wrote: »

Put a stamp on. Squiggle on the stamp with black pen. Write "Person unknown. Return to sender." across it. Not your problem anymore.

• Advertisement

Thanks GM228 for the thorough and interesting reply.

GM228 wrote: »
    The only potential issue is for a claim of breach of privacy which is on the civil side, not criminal. Opening a letter not addressed to you is a breach of Article 8 of the ECHR irrespective of how it is sent/received, in the Narinan vs Finland [2004] 5027/98 case the ECtHR held the level of protection is very high and even opening one simple letter is a major breach as there is no de minimis principle for interference of the right to privacy to occur.

Would this be an issue for the person who opens the letter or for the government for failing to enact legislation to protect the addressee's rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Just open it ffs, I'm dying to know what's in it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Combination to a safe that OP found? ;-)))

Ha! Unless it was something really, really boring I would never have posted it online.

As it happens it's a moot point. The sender called by again and I was talking to him.

I won't say what it was about, but I'm glad the letter wasn't for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Combination to a safe that IP found? ;-)))

Here we go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭corks finest

No- never ever

• Advertisement
Advertisement