Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Ireland news thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

Yes a big blow for Ireland losing JohnBoy. Who will replace him? Possibly Tyrone Kane or Stuart Thompson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

BBR confirmed as back for the T20 and ICC game v PNG before that.

Yes good news that Rankin is back. Has anyone seen this Barry McCarthy who broke into the Durham team for a couple of games last season?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

markbrop wrote: »
    Yes good news that Rankin is back. Has anyone seen this Barry McCarthy who broke into the Durham team for a couple of games last season?

Yes, known him since he was a young(er) lad. His Dad is a stalwart of Pembroke, and Barry's been progressing through the ranks there and with CI for a while. He's currently in Australia, playing NSW 1st-grade with Randwick-Petersham, although he's apparently having some issues breaking into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Squad named for the PNG ICup game and a total of 5/6 T20s before the T20WC.

3 T20s Vs PNG in Australia and 3 games in the UAE (Abu Dhabi) against unknown opponents, one T20 and two T20Is. Have to guess the first game won't be against a country at all and the two T20Is could be against UAE which wouldn't be too useful (they aren't going to the WC), but maybe Afghanistan or even Pakistan might be on the cards (I doubt it will be Oman as they are in a group, Scotland, Zimbabwe and Hong Kong would be my next bets)?

Main news (afaic) is not Boyd straight back in for it all, but Murtagh has gone back on his T20 retirement and is back in the hunt for the WC! We've gone from picking from Young/Sorenson/Thompson/Chase as potential "quicks" at the WC to Rankin and Murtagh, I like it ;)

• Advertisement

Yes Rankin and Murtagh should make a big difference. The line-up for the T20 WC should be:

Stirling
    Porterfield
    Balbirnie
    N O'Brien
    K O'Brien
    Wilson
    S Poynter
    McBrine
    Dockrell
    Murtagh
    Rankin

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

I think it'd be quite harsh if Young was to be dropped for two newcomers.

Considering its in India and pitches should be spin friendly, I'd go with

Stirlo
    Porterfield
    Niall
    Balbirnie
    Kevin
    Wilson
    Kane
    McBrine
    Dockrell
    Rankin
    Young

I picked Kane over Poynter as Kane can bowl around the mid 130s which for us is quite pacy and is also capable of hitting a few. Poynter is a good player but with Kane you also get the option of a couple of overs if necessary.

McBrine and Dockrell standard enough, with Stirling also there to bowl 4 overs if needed.

Tough pick between Young and Murtagh, but considering Young can bowl faster and at this stage of his development really needs WC experience I've selected him over Murtagh, who is undoubtedly good but wasnt exactly exceptional in his last foray into Asia (the 2014 WC in Bangladesh).

However a lot will depend on form going into the WC..

Andrew Poynter/Sorenson could also be in with a shout, the former had a good last WC and can hit big, whereas the latter is a handy bat and can also bowl a few if needed.

Plenty of options for the management to test anyway, good to see.

I think it'd be quite harsh if Young was to be dropped for two newcomers.

Considering its in India and pitches should be spin friendly, I'd go with

Stirlo
    Porterfield
    Niall
    Balbirnie
    Kevin
    Wilson
    Kane
    McBrine
    Dockrell
    Rankin
    Young

I picked Kane over Poynter as Kane can bowl around the mid 130s which for us is quite pacy and is also capable of hitting a few. Poynter is a good player but with Kane you also get the option of a couple of overs if necessary.

McBrine and Dockrell standard enough, with Stirling also there to bowl 4 overs if needed.

Tough pick between Young and Murtagh, but considering Young can bowl faster and at this stage of his development really needs WC experience I've selected him over Murtagh, who is undoubtedly good but wasnt exactly exceptional in his last foray into Asia (the 2014 WC in Bangladesh).

However a lot will depend on form going into the WC..

Andrew Poynter/Sorenson could also be in with a shout, the former had a good last WC and can hit big, whereas the latter is a handy bat and can also bowl a few if needed.

Plenty of options for the management to test anyway, good to see.

Kane is not even in the squad for PNG/UAE

Kane is not even in the squad for PNG/UAE

Surprised, guess he's out of contention for now.

Also, the U19's departed for Bangladesh yesterday, their first game vs India will be live but at 3 am irish time, might forego some lectures to watch some of the game :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Chaminda Vass going to be working with Ireland as some sort of coach, which is pretty cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Ireland 232-5 against Papua New Guinea after day 1.

Pretty low scoring day in cloudy conditions. Each batsman got a start but failed to take the game away from PNG, so it's all to play for.

Strange team selection I thought, as it is very bowler-centric. You have Rankin, Young and Murtagh as seamers. Dockrell, McBrine and Stirling for a bit of spin with Kevin O'Brien also there for a bit of medium pace if needed. Seems a bit excessive to me and I don't know why they don't have an extra batsmen in maybe Balbirnie or Poynter. Must surely be down to form as McBrine did score 49* against Ireland last week but I have never put him down as a batsman before.

VillaMad wrote: »

Pretty low scoring day in cloudy conditions. Each batsman got a start but failed to take the game away from PNG, so it's all to play for.

Strange team selection I thought, as it is very bowler-centric. You have Rankin, Young and Murtagh as seamers. Dockrell, McBrine and Stirling for a bit of spin with Kevin O'Brien also there for a bit of medium pace if needed. Seems a bit excessive to me and I don't know why they don't have an extra batsmen in maybe Balbirnie or Poynter. Must surely be down to form as McBrine did score 49* against Ireland last week but I have never put him down as a batsman before.
    Welcome to the forum VillaMad! I'd forgotten this match was even on

VillaMad wrote: »

By all accounts McBrine is a very useful batsman - I think he bats at five for the North West Warriors in the Interprovincial Championship.

Welcome to the forum VillaMad! I'd forgotten this match was even on

Ireland 289 all out PNG 166 for 7

Not a bad day for Ireland - It seems as if it is very hard to score quickly on this wicket though.

104 of their 166 has come from one batsman

104 of their 166 has come from one batsman

Yes Vala - the same guy hit 124 not out against Holland in their first game.

Nine wickets to get on the last day. They should do it if the weather doesnt intervene.

PNG have chased 300 odd on the last day before.....

PNG have chased 300 odd on the last day before.....

Yes but that wasnt against the likes of Rankin and Murtagh though. Another excellent away win for Ireland. Only Porterfield missed out with the bat and all the bowlers took wickets.

Yup, a potential banana skin avoided professionally.

I know we play HK next in summer, last three fixtures are pretty tough though, Afghanistan away, Scotland away and the Dutch at home if I'm not mistaken?

• Advertisement

Yup, a potential banana skin avoided professionally.

I know we play HK next in summer, last three fixtures are pretty tough though, Afghanistan away, Scotland away and the Dutch at home if I'm not mistaken?

Scotland is actually down as a home game but its to be played in October/November 2017 so it will have to be at a neutral venue. Afghanistan in the UAE will be tough. I would expect us to beat Hong Kong and Holland (good T20 side but not great at the longer format) quite comfortably at home providing the weather holds.

3 t20's vs PNG coming up, first starts in an hour and I really should be asleep by now.

As for the post above, I agree mostly, but the Dutch while obviously weaker in 4 day stuff have strung together some form, beating Scotland was an excellent win for them and the UAE while poor are never easy to beat at home due to the spin.

Wouldnt be too worried about the Afghans if we had them at home but away will be tricky as their blatant weaknesses to pace bowling likely wont be exposed in the UAE. HK we need to stay professional and we should be looking at 20 points assuming we dont get rained off which really is a fear of mine, Scotlands campaign has been ruined by rain.

On the plus side, points dropped by each main contender so far....

Ireland 0
    Netherlands 14
    Afghanistan 19
    Scotland 37 (realistically out of it)

T20 world cup squad announced:

RELAND SQUAD FOR ICC WORLD TWENTY20

William Porterfield (capt) (Warwickshire), Andrew Balbirnie (Middlesex), George Dockrell (Leinster Lightning), Andy McBrine (Donemana), Tim Murtagh (Middlesex), Kevin O'Brien (Railway Union), Niall O'Brien (Leicestershire), Andrew Poynter (Clontarf), Stuart Poynter (Durham), Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire), Max Sorensen (The Hills), Paul Stirling (Middlesex), Stuart Thompson (Eglinton), Gary Wilson (Surrey), Craig Young (Bready).

Bad loss to UAE today, from a position of 89/1 chasing 133

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Bad loss to UAE today, from a position of 89/1 chasing 133

Jesus that's a pretty spectacular collapse. I don't hold much hope of making it through the preliminary stages but you never know. How many more warm ups have we?

Two more vs HK and Zim the week prior to the WC.

Cant see us qualifying, our batting in this format has been dreadful for a year now, cant see it suddenly changing.

I've got the lowest expectations I've ever had of us going into a tournament

I've got the lowest expectations I've ever had of us going into a tournament

Pretty dreadful batting performance against the UAE alright - we needed just 45 off the last eight overs with nine wickets left. We'll have to play a lot better if we are to have a hope of beating Holland and Bangladesh and may even struggle to beat Oman if we play like this in the tournament.

UAE have just beaten Afghanistan in the Asia Cup - big surprise there!

• Advertisement

Oman beat Hong Kong too.

Furthers shows what a joke it is only one team per group qualifies.

Great performance in the warm up vs HK today. Won by 10 wickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Out of Porterfield's 75, 64 came in boundaries.

Last warm up game today, lost to Zimbabwe by 6 wickets.

Oman also defeated Scotland, they will provide a stern test next week.

Some good news, 5 match series against Afghanistan announced for July link 5 matches at least gives some chance that a few of them might get to be played.. having them all in Belfast is less encouraging though

Some good news, 5 match series against Afghanistan announced for July link 5 matches at least gives some chance that a few of them might get to be played.. having them all in Belfast is less encouraging though

Yes I see where Sean Terry has declared for us aswell. I was at his dad's second and last test match for England against the West Indies at Old Trafford in 1984. He broke his arm and then came back into bat at number 11 with his arm in a sling so that Lamb could get the two runs he needed for his century!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 kearnsy

Some good news, 5 match series against Afghanistan announced for July 5 matches at least gives some chance that a few of them might get to be played.. having them all in Belfast is less encouraging though

What other games have Ireland got this summer at home

kearnsy wrote: »
    What other games have Ireland got this summer at home

Pakistan and Sri Lanka play two each I think, no venues announced yet though

Yes I see where Sean Terry has declared for us aswell. I was at his dad's second and last test match for England against the West Indies at Old Trafford in 1984. He broke his arm and then came back into bat at number 11 with his arm in a sling so that Lamb could get the two runs he needed for his century!

I think I read that he is going to play for YMCA to try play his way onto the team, I wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Hi All

New to this thread............been a cricket fan for a while but never went to a game however im going to do the 1 day internationals against Pakistan in Malahide In August. Anyway I have a question................Im 41 never really played but wondering if there is a league for over 40s

spud06 wrote: »
    Hi All

New to this thread............been a cricket fan for a while but never went to a game however im going to do the 1 day internationals against Pakistan in Malahide In August. Anyway I have a question................Im 41 never really played but wondering if there is a league for over 40s
    Taverners cricket is probably want you want if it still exists, it's a limited rule set and really a social sort of thing. I don't live in Ireland anymore so I can't help you much, but I'd suggest you make a new thread instead, you might get more views and see if Google shows up any Taverners clubs, there used to be one near kiliney which be close to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Taverners cricket is probably want you want if it still exists, it's a limited rule set and really a social sort of thing. I don't live in Ireland anymore so I can't help you much, but I'd suggest you make a new thread instead, you might get more views and see if Google shows up any Taverners clubs, there used to be one near kiliney which be close to you

Thanks for ur help.............Will start a new thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

spud06 wrote: »
    Hi All

41 is still considered a reasonable playing age. Avoid bowling and bat like Chris Gayle and you don't have to do much running!

Contact cricket Ireland for some advice, they are an incredibly approachable organization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It seems two-division Test cricket is set to be introduced, with Ireland and Afghanistan the most likely to promoted to Full Membership. That said, how long would it take us to be competitive against Bangladesh or the West Indies over the longer format?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/1022445.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Seems like a promising discussion and well overdue. But is that all it will be and will the bigger powers just squash it, in their own self interest?? It would be a good structure for the likes of Irish cricket.

Bit like the hurling here which would benefit from an open draw, no seeding and no 'back door' - giving more counties a chance... but would the likes of Kilkenny or Tipp ever support that idea? Very little chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

BarryD wrote: »
    Seems like a promising discussion and well overdue. But is that all it will be and will the bigger powers just squash it, in their own self interest?? It would be a good structure for the likes of Irish cricket.

Bit like the hurling here which would benefit from an open draw, no seeding and no 'back door' - giving more counties a chance... but would the likes of Kilkenny or Tipp ever support that idea? Very little chance.

I'm only a cricket lurker usually, but as a solid hurling follower I have to wonder what makes you think that would help hurling? The gradient of quality in hurling teams is incredibly steep

Kilkenny could beat Offaly by 30 points, Offaly could beat Wicklow by 30 points, Wicklow would beat Donegal by 30 points, and Donegal would beat Leitrim by 30 points.

If you threw Leitrim into an open draw with Kilkenny, they simply wouldn't field. If they did field, Kilkenny could field an U20 team, and would win by 50+, with the Leitrim keeper being subbed off after his arms fall off from taking so many puckouts.

I'm only a cricket lurker usually, but as a solid hurling follower I have to wonder what makes you think that would help hurling? The gradient of quality in hurling teams is incredibly steep

Kilkenny could beat Offaly by 30 points, Offaly could beat Wicklow by 30 points, Wicklow would beat Donegal by 30 points, and Donegal would beat Leitrim by 30 points.

If you threw Leitrim into an open draw with Kilkenny, they simply wouldn't field. If they did field, Kilkenny could field an U20 team, and would win by 50+, with the Leitrim keeper being subbed off after his arms fall off from taking so many puckouts.

Because as things stand international cricket and county hurling competitions share something in common (arguably more so than other sports) and this is that they are set up to suit the needs of the more successful teams. It's difficult for the smaller teams to get a look in.

Kilkenny, once a county with numerous cricket teams have dominated the All Ireland hurling for much of recent memory. They generally walk into a Leinster semi final as their first game in the AI and off they go. If they or Tipp etc., have a off day and get beaten, then back in again for a second bite at the cherry. It's set up so that the better teams can and will dominate. A weaker team might have a good day and prevail once over the strongest counties but not twice. An open draw, with no seeding and no back door would at least throw up the prospect of a different outcome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

There is a similarity, in that there's generally six teams who are always in contention for tournament honours, four sliding up and down the rankings (for the Windies and Pakistan, read Waterford and Dublin) and two trying to break into the main grouping (Afghanistan, Ireland and Kenya in recent years for cricket, Kerry, Laois and Antrim for hurling) . It is ironic that for the criticism rightly directed at the GAA for the jaded football format, they've been more radical with hurling than the ICC with Test cricket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

BarryD wrote: »
    Because as things stand international cricket and county hurling competitions share something in common (arguably more so than other sports) and this is that they are set up to suit the needs of the more successful teams. It's difficult for the smaller teams to get a look in.

Kilkenny, once a county with numerous cricket teams have dominated the All Ireland hurling for much of recent memory. They generally walk into a Leinster semi final as their first game in the AI and off they go. If they or Tipp etc., have a off day and get beaten, then back in again for a second bite at the cherry. It's set up so that the better teams can and will dominate. A weaker team might have a good day and prevail once over the strongest counties but not twice. An open draw, with no seeding and no back door would at least throw up the prospect of a different outcome?

They had no back door for 110 years yet Kilkenny, Cork and Tipp still hoovered up most of the titles. There's no back door in U21, and Kilkenny, Tipp and Cork also lead the Roll of Honour (not winning so much in recent years). A similar story at minor level, no back door till the 90s, and even then it's only a limited one, yet those 3 teams still top the Roll of Honour.

The qualifers in hurling are as close to an open draw as possible. Needless to say 99% of the time the top teams go through. The likes of Offaly, Laois and Westmeath will lose in Leinster, then lose in the qualifiers. Its not the system that hurts them, its just not being good enough.

The reality is that the likes of India, Australia, England etc dominate the politics of international cricket and arrange matters to suit themselves largely. Likewise in hurling, the top teams like Kilkenny & Tipp also have a major say in how things are run. Introducing more chance into competitions and giving smaller teams an even break is not in their interests.

Our Irish cricket team is unlikely to beat any of the top teams on a regular basis, but we can on a good day and upset the apple cart. Likewise a Wexford or Westmeath etc. could turn the tables against the odds now & then. But what's the point, when the odds are stacked against progression and the beaten team gets another bite? It's gone a bit like Schumacher when he was winning all the car races, great if you're a German motor racing fan but boring for the rest of the public. The big countries and counties will never favour open draws & more participation etc., in case they meet each other, more games, more chance to lose and so on.

It's easy to make the argument that more closed arrangements suit weaker countries and counties, gives them more of a chance against their own level etc., but it's often a self serving one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ireland win the toss and will field against Sri Lanka. Slight delay and play will start at 11.15. Barry McCarthy will make his debut today, good luck to him and the team

• Advertisement
Advertisement