Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has becoming vegetarian helped your health ?..

Options
  • 13-08-2005 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Has becoming vegetarian helped your health ?...

In my case, I was advised after suffering 2 massive heart attacks. That I should avoid all fatty foods.

The list of the types of food that I could safely eat that my Consultant gave me, was so long and complicated. I bought a Jack LaLanne Juicer and started experimenting making juice from all fruits and green vegetables, now after five years I am still alive, I love the taste of fresh fruits and have now got used too vegetable's, all un-cooked.

At my ripe old age, I would recommend this Vegetarianism lifestyle to anyone and everyone.

Just wish I had known the real truth when I was younger :cool: .

P.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes as a matter of fact it will affect me a lot.i was diagnosed with a rare form of haemochromatosis(genetic blood disease where losing blood is good for me :eek:) a few weeks ago and was told by the doctor that being vegetarian will probably save my life in like 20 years due to the much lower risk of stroke and heart problems that arise from meat.
    the disease doesnt affect for some time(to a high degree) and i am way younger than most that have it diagnosed(random blood test by mother!) so i am teh lucky \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Excellent, delighted to read that you found out about this genetic disease, and the positive effect of becoming a vegetarian will have later on in your life i.e. " Saving your Life " .

After my first heart attack, I was asked to get my sibling's and it turned out that my two sister's were at high risk of developing genetic coronary heart disease, which is now the number one killer, of both male's and female's in Ireland.

They both now take special aspirin tabs and other medications, so hopefully they will not end up like me.

Good luck.

P.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

thanks,im glad yer goodo now.
    i think im in the clear for heart and kidney problems now because of it \o/
    all i have to do is give blood every few weeks which i like doing anyway as it helps people.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

i think im in the clear for heart and kidney problems now because of it \o/
    all i have to do is give blood every few weeks which i like doing anyway as it helps people.

My dad has that and possibly me. He just has to avoid iron rich foods, so less steaks and spinach. His blood isn't taken as a donation though. He has to pay the hospital to take it and then they throw it away. How bad is that! There are people who desperately need blood out there and his blood is fine. But of course if they let him give it as a donation he wouldn't have to pay anymore.

Beebox wrote:
    My dad has that and possibly me. He just has to avoid iron rich foods, so less steaks and spinach. His blood isn't taken as a donation though. He has to pay the hospital to take it and then they throw it away. How bad is that! There are people who desperately need blood out there and his blood is fine. But of course if they let him give it as a donation he wouldn't have to pay anymore.
    ya i know that sucks,a lot of people have what he does.
    my variation was just discovered i am told.both parents must carry different types of the disease and have different deffective genes for somebody to even have a chance to get what i have sigh...but at least with my super blood regeneration powers blood loss doesn't affect me as much.when my famil was being tested three of them fainted because so much blood was taken heh.my brother and i were fine so well we have it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement