Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend An Amp Please

Options
  • 06-06-2004 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey,

I've playec Classical guitar for 2-3 years, and I just got an electric (second hand from my teacher). Can't remember what it's called but I'll write it down later and post it if it matters.

Anyway really I'm just looking for a decent amp to start off with. Don't need anything flash and don't really want to spend more than about £80. Can anyone suggest a good one?

My teacher said Marshall ones are popular but he recommended a Fender or Peavey one, something about them having better distortion.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

[stock answer]
    Marshalls suck
    [/stock answer]

Check out the Vox Pathfinder, and the Danelectro Nifty Fifty.
    Both excellent little amps for a beginner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Aye, avoid the Marshalls. For that money you're not going to get anything spectacular. Just keep an eye out in Buy and Sell and try as many as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Tunga

Well I looked around the Net and saw the Fender Frontman 15R for about £80 everwhere. But there's a shop right near me that's selling it for £65. It got good rviews from what I've read so I'll probably get this. Any comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Check out these comments

Ah thanks, useful site :) .

I think I'll probablty get it. Some people sa it's not the best but then it is a small cheap amp. Really I just want something to get started with, not much point paying for an amazing amp until I'm acually decent with the thing. I want to take the thing to Uni too, so don't want anything too big or expensive. In a year or so I can look at getting something better :) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Just thought I'd add my little bit of advice to the forum. I have a line 6 Guitar Port, I know it's not technically an amp but it's perfect for beginners and as you develop your skills, all the effects are there aswell, so you can try out the wah pedal and try different preamps. You can also record your music digitally and save them as MP3 files, which is pretty cool.

I would reccommend a decent set of speakers though I have two 60 watt speakers and they produce amazing sound, also if you have steering wheel pedals, you can use them for the various effects that different pedals give you. It gives you a range of different amp models so you can have the perfect amp for all types of music (Jazz, Rock, Acoustic, Blues etc..)

I sound like a salesman now so I'm gonna shut up. It is a bit over your price range but trust it's worth it

I can see the use of a port, but I'll stick with an Amp for now.

Got the fender, it's cool. I'm still playing with all the settings to see what it can do :) .

Thanks for all the advice, appreciated :) .

Advertisement