Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which prs se

• 28-05-2004 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Guys, Im looking to buy one of the PRS SE guitars and have narrowed it down to a Tremonti SE or Santana SE. The Santana is about $100 more expensive than the Tremonti but that seems to be the only real difference. Any opinions or advise on which to buy ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm heading into town today and I will probably try out both types of guitars. I will let you know then what I think.

However I could possibly be looking at the McCarty as I've read so many good reviews and our own Dabhoys speaks it's praise !

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

The McCarty I think is the nicest guitar PRS make without going into Private Stock territory. They have a deeper mahogany body then a Custom 22/24 and the headstock is thinner then the Custom 22/24. But the neck is also the wide fat and I love that neck. The thing plays like butter. If you can afford to invest in the PRS I can assure you will not be let down. I know I haven't :D Its sustains for days :p

Originally posted by Angry_Penguin
    Guys, Im looking to buy one of the PRS SE guitars and have narrowed it down to a Tremonti SE or Santana SE. The Santana is about $100 more expensive than the Tremonti but that seems to be the only real difference. Any opinions or advise on which to buy ?

Of all the PRS SE. I can tell you the 2 news one the Soapbar and EG are the best ones. The soapbar is an excellent guitar. I'm not a fan of Koren guitars but Soapbar is a fine instrument for the price and good value for money. The P90's have a sweet mellow tone too. I'd seriously consider it over the other 3.

dabhoys, did you happen to bring your McCarty into Musicmaker because the guy there remebers some guy coming in with one and bragging that he'd got it for €900, sweet. I played the McCarty, and the Tremonti and I just wasn't impressed and I know why.

I played through an AVT100 Marshall, which is the same amp I have at home and it just doesn't bring out the flavour of these guitars. That said though, the MaCarty really is a beautiful instrument and I would love to buy one, but at over 3,500 in MusicMaker you'd have to be bananas.

On that note, what you guys reckon of this ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33045&item=3726361714&rd=1

Seems like a good deal if I were to pay say €1500 ? Wouldn't have a credit card and ebay account setup on time though and he doesn't accept paypal payments internationally for some reason.

Slaan.

Yeah that was me. Theres not many people in Ireland with a PRS :p

Thats a nice guitar its one of the Artist Package guitars. Its sorta the top end of the production models without going into Private Stock.

I'll be honest one thing I've learned about the PRS is its sounds good through most amp. I've played through some ****ty amps and pedals and its still sings!!! The SE's are nice guitars. I really like the Soapbars there nice and also have a carved top.

• Advertisement

Yeah I do like the look of that guitar on ebay, since you have bought off ebay before, how does the sale look to you ? How would you recommend I approach it if I wanted to possibly buy that guitar. Even paying 1500-1700 euro would be good value I think. Including postage and all that.

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Al Pinionpants

Slaanesh, don't waste the money on an SE! if you're happy spending up to 1500 then look here:

www.chrisguitars.com

it's the best second hand online guitar store I've come across and although it's based in New York he'll ship it for you and accept the money by wire transfer, so you don't need to bother with credit card ****e.

I just bought a Les Paul from him and he is Uber-honest about the condition of the guitars, and in fact goes over the top making very minor scratches out to be gouges out of the finish.

And remember his prices are in Dollars so you can expect the guitar to cost the same figure in Euro including shipping.

Chris Guitars is a great place to buy guitars. I'd give it a thumbs up easier to deal with then ebay. If your not use to using ebay I wouldn't start off with a high purchase like that. Chris guitars is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

is there ANYWHERE at all that u can buy a guitar through finance,,, i was looking at prs' in musianinc cos i was told that they let you pay thru finance - but they dont.. bastards!!!

if you want to buy on finance, set up a credit union account and dump as much cash in as you can and see how much they'll loan you, you'll get a much better rate than a shop's finance and you'll get your guitar sooner.

• Advertisement

already have a loan out of credit union! dont instrumental do finance?

ahhh right. Yep Instrumental do finance, but the rates suck, and as far as I know you don't get the guitar until it is fully paid up. I could be wrong about this but...

I'd rather save the money each week and pay for the guitar in full, it means you don't pay any more than you have to... and whatever guitar you're buying check out the online price before buying in town, the Irish prices are VERY high and there's not a lot the shops can do about it.

www.thomann.de are a good price guide for online

yeah i buy from thoman often.. but i want gear that i wont change in 6 months time,, i dont even know what to get first,,, guitar or amp?? i'd love a prs(way outta my price range!!) maybe a les paul standard(a bit steep!!) or a fender deluxe strat(probably top of my list at the mo)... but i also want an amp,, maybe carvin, mesa boogie, engl, marshall but all VERY pricey!! wot to do wot to do??

i currently have a marshall mg250dfx which is actually quite good so i might go for a guitar first,,, but then i think that even my epiphone will sound great through an engl!! so im at a loss as to what to do first..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

...I never saw that chrisguitars.com site before. He has a load of great stuff but man oh man there are some ****ed up guitars on there as well! It reminds me of Star Wars where the Jawas were trying to flog off all the old unwanted robots :p

MY favourite is this beauty, designed for Russian rockers Gorky Park;

http://www.chrisguitars.com/kra-gorky-0803.jpg

There's 4 Paul Stanley guitars there as well. No idea what they're like playing-wise(probably crap), but they're definitely different in the looks dept...

http://www.chrisguitars.com/silver-psap1.jpg (yuk,might appeal to BC rich fans tho)

http://www.chrisguitars.com/silver-pssn2.jpg (gorgeous)

Advertisement