Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner unemployed

Options
  • 01-02-2021 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

My partner and I are a non-smoking couple in our thirties with no pets who are seeking to rent somewhere for a minimum 1 year lease in Dublin after 11 years of renting an apartment from a family member.

I currently earn €36k annually (rising to €39k in May) and my partner is currently unemployed but undertaking a further studies course. As rent in Dublin is ridiculously expensive, my parents have incredibly generously agreed to pay half of the rent so that we can save for a mortgage.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you have on how to broach this arrangement with landlords/letting agents? Can you see any way to assure them that we genuinely can pay the rent or will most discount us straight away as my partner is unemployed? Would it count against us that our previous landlord reference is a family member? Would it be better to arrange for my parents to rent the property and sublet it to us?

Any advice on how to increase our odds of finding a quality place would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

Could you offer to have your parents go as guarantors on your rent? I think I've seen sample forms that landlords can use for that online. And I know that it's common practice in London, for example, depending on your income. Your parents couldn't sublet to you without the landlord's permission so that route might not be worth pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JerryFish

If landlords/letting agents in Dublin are willing to accept and arrangement like that it'd be great - thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Would you consider renting a room rather than whole place? Not ideal, but maybe a good idea for a year to save you all money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JerryFish

To be honest, having lived in a flat together for years it would be very difficult for us to adjust to not having our own bathroom and kitchen. Also we would have to put our household furniture in storage. I am on a list for promotion at work which would greatly increase our income it's just a matter of a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would you move further out as rent prices are nuts in Dublin and obviously all depends on where you work.

Is it possible to work from home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

your partner isnt unemployed though - they are a mature student. Honestly shouldnt be an issue. Have your documentation ready to go thats all - that includind deposit and first months rent.

Honestly dont think you need to prove such a thing to LL or agents - they will look for the standard info.

How would any LL or agent know you are related to your previous LL aswell. A written reference is simply that - more a tick box exercise I have found.

Best of luck with your seach. I moved last year and it only took 3 weeks to find somewhere but that included viewings. As viewings are online now it should be quicker for you.

rents are high but if you have some flexibility on location you could be lucky.

Advertisement