Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Some mate if he doesn’t know where he lives!

I know where my mates live, in the main I couldn't reel off the address though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I know where my mates live, in the main I couldn't reel off the address though

Thinking of my wedding next year for invites I wouldn't know most of my mates address. I've never had to send them a letter before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'm not denying it might be correct but you can't attribute what a mate says about someone as true. Aka if one of your mates said you were a racist I wouldn't take that as fact regardless of how close you are to him.

The real story from the article is the document. Only my opinion of course.

They cant say it outright but at the end it looks like they are saying it looks like O Tuathill can get a direct provision contract for the right price, then it names who would have to be paid. There is a giant money bag picture in there. It also looks like the guy Bowes needed to be told Leo is not the one who needs to be paid this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

awec wrote: »
    I am guessing it's in The Village because none of the big media would run it without more substantial evidence.

Tsk. A Russian Disinformation Campaign then. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

#JailLeotheCrimelord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

They cant say it outright but at the end it looks like they are saying it looks like O Tuathill can get a direct provision contract for the right price, then it names who would have to be paid. There is a giant money bag picture in there. It also looks like the guy Bowes needed to be told Leo is not the one who needs to be paid this time.

Interesting, I took the money bag to mean that he'd be interested as he'd clean up money wise. You could be right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭jackboy

The story is gone all over. If not true I would expect Varadkar to give a strong denial today. If he doesn’t do that he is probably in damage limitation mode and there may be a real story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

There's a Father Ted meme for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

jackboy wrote: »
    The story is gone all over. If not true I would expect Varadkar to give a strong denial today. If he doesn’t do that he is probably in damage limitation mode and there may be a real story here.

I'm sure we'll see a defamation case from him against the Village if the allegations are not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So what is alleged?

Why dont you read the article? Are we supposed to spoon feed you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

awec wrote: »
    I am guessing it's in The Village because none of the big media would run it without more substantial evidence.

Certainly can't imagine Philip Ryan being too eager to platform this story anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

smurgen wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll see a defamation case from him against the Village if the allegations are not true.

Why do you think that?

Many politicians have had numerous allegations flung at them through the years and not taken cases:)

How are village magazine saying they got hold of this?
    It looks like a screen grab of a text exchange between Leo and o'Tuathaill.

How did Village magazine say they got it?

YrAMbUL.jpg

Why do you think that?

Many politicians have had numerous allegations flung at them through the years and not taken cases:)

This specific and damaging? Can't say many spring to mind.

Phoebas wrote: »
    How are village magazine saying they got hold of this?
    It looks like a screen grab of a text exchange between Leo and o'Tuathaill.

How did Village magazine say they got it?

YrAMbUL.jpg

The print version has more details. Need to get a copy.

The print version has more details. Need to get a copy.
    Is it going to be one of those stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

This is the Village people :pac:

But that said i expect tomorrow's Sindo headline to be "Did Sinn Féin hack Varadkar's WhatsApp messages?"

Is it going to be one of those stories!

Not sure I follow. I suppose I'll pose the question I'm waiting to hear back on from Paddy Losty... If the allegations of leaking of commercially sensitive information by Leo Varadkar are true would it be acceptable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Who wrote this?

Not sure I follow. I suppose I'll pose the question I'm waiting to hear back on from Paddy Losty... If the allegations of leaking of commercially sensitive information by Leo Varadkar are true would it be acceptable to you?

Of course it wouldn't be acceptable.
    But cart before the horse.

This story so far as we can see it, dies not show that Varadkar leaked the document. It's a join the dots that can be turned into anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Have Newstalk blamed SF yet for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Have Newstalk blamed SF yet for this?

Always the victims.

Of course it wouldn't be acceptable.
    But cart before the horse.

This story so far as we can see it, dies not show that Varadkar leaked the document. It's a join the dots that can be turned into anything.

Good to hear so let's see what happens. The allegations have been made and it will have to be cleared up on both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Looks to be some merit. Never liked that zero craic doctor fella. Boasting about influence when he should have been posting about influenza.

Here's the article in full I think for those who haven't read it.

https://villagemagazineireland2020.medium.com/leo-varadkar-lawbreaker-tánaiste-leaked-confidential-document-to-friend-efdd1f14cfcb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://villagemagazineireland2020.medium.com/leo-varadkar-lawbreaker-t%C3%A1naiste-leaked-confidential-document-to-friend-efdd1f14cfcb

He has to go.

"It’s an indiscretion that may contravene the Criminal Justice (Corruption Offences) Act 2018, the Dáil members’ Code of Conduct 2002, and the Official Secrets Act, 1963. The Corruption Act alone carries a penalty of up to 10 years in jail and prohibition from holding public office."

I've always known he was an unscrupulous prick but he's broken laws here. He needs hanging out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

KaneToad wrote: »
    Ah, Paddy Cosgrave thinks it's an issue. That's enough for me. I'm out.

Wait, Ewen MacKenna, Roman Shortall, and some other Twitter cranks also have opinions on this anonymous article.

We must hear them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It all looks fairly damning. Will be interesting to see what happens.

531251.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Not a fan of Leo. or any of them for that matter, but ...

(the slight discolouration under the name is where I removed my work mobile number)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If whoever leaked the story (I suspect Bowes) is willing to corroborate further and provide evidence, then I don't see why he won't face jail time. He should.

No doubt others have stories about leaks of this nature as well. He's likely pissed a load of people off down through the years. I have my fingers crossed that this is the end of him.

Usually I don't give a fiddler's about who is governing so long as they're reasonably competent. Not only is he incompetent, he's arrogant, smug, actively undermines everyone around him. He makes the country look bad. This scandal will be of great benefit to the country as it will see him removed from his position of influence and hopefully imprisoned.

Come on 2020, just do this one thing.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think some are getting ahead of themselves. Even if Varadkar does get brought down over this alleged scandal, it certainly isn't going to happen on the back of The Village article as it is today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement