Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo translation please

Options
  • 21-10-2016 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Can you help me translate the following into Gaeilge? It's for a tattoo so spelling etc will be important ;-)

I love you to our star and back again.

Thanks a million,
    Trix

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hi, if you could explain what that means in English, that would be of assistance in providing a translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

Hi Hullaballoo,

Essentially it means that I love you infinitely....

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, there is an issue around the Irish for "I love you." (Incidentally, I just don't think using something superfluous like "infinitely" is pointless. What's the difference between "I love you infinitely" and "I love you six yards"?)

The best thing is to keep things simple to avoid having something meaningless permanently etched into your body. I would stick to a simple "I love you" - "Mo ghrá t(h)ú." I don't know if this is what you're after since the other person isn't mentioned or might not necessarily identify with just "I love you."

There may well be someone else who is more of a romantic and less of a pedant who will have something more embellished.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

Thank you - when should "thú" have the "h" and when should it be left out? Is there any difference if it's for a man/woman?

Thanks for all your help!

It's a matter of choice tbh. It's pronounced with the h but can be written either way.

I should note that some speakers insist it's spelt with the h and some the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

I'd suggest "gráim thú go deo". A longer version would be "gráim thú go deo na ndeor" but probably too long for a tattoo...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Tá mo chroí istigh ionat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Tá mo chroí istigh ionat.

Most apt suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

A pretty literal translation below. Not sure how it will look as a tatoo.

Mo ghrá thú go dtí ár réalta agus ar ais arís.

Advertisement