Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission for workout sessions in back garden

Options
  • 17-05-2021 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,
    Would anyone know if I need permission from council etc. to run a couple of paid workout sessions a week out my back garden?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I think you do as its a "public" business.

You can run online sessions from your garden, or an office from your spare room, but once you are permitting the public into your space, it is deemed a commercial use and planning would be required. You would also need to change your insurance and they may require some safety items.

Some people do these in public parks.

You could always do a few and see if there are any complaints from neighbours (offer them free classes :) ) or ask them if they had any objection to you doing it for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd very carefully check your house insurance. Your home policy won't cover a business / commercial activity so you'll be high and dry if someone hurts themselves. Remember, someone doesn't need to pay you for it to be deemed a commercial activity. Claims can be huge and without insurance, you'll be on the hook personally.

I'd recommend using a public space until you have insurance and planning permission for your own home.

Advertisement