Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking into classic insurance for Integra

Options
  • 08-05-2021 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey everyone, so my Integra Type R turns 20 years old this year so I was thinking about insuring it as a classic.
    Only thing is I'm not in a position to buy a "main" car. I drive a company van for a living so most of my midweek running around is done in that.

The missus has her own car so I was thinking about setting myself up as the main policy holder on that and her named. But that might start messing up her NCB.

Alternativly I could be named on her policy but I dunno if an insurance company will accept that as my main use car.
    Anyone got any suggestions, recommendations or insights???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Classic insurance has mileage limits like 5,000km or so. Also your car needs to be 25 years now, well with AXA at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭gaza4

micah537 wrote: »
    Classic insurance has mileage limits like 5,000km or so. Also your car needs to be 25 years now, well with AXA at least.

mileage is not an issue, its basically a weekend car. gets very little use other than that.

Age must vary between companies, my friends dad just got a 00 MX5 on classic. I remember hearing years ago companies were picky about the actual cars too. Lads trying to get Twin Cams on classic and having no luck. I could be remembering that wrong though, it was about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think the main problem you'll have is the fact it's an integra. Best thing to do is ring up the classic insurance companies and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

UK or Jap import?

Would try Autoline before anywhere else, then it's case of ringing each of them that do Classic policies to see if there underwriters would cover it for new business as of May 21. Having the van as a daily shouldn't be a an issue as long as insured in your own name.
    (Underwriters change cover terms regularly)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

I have classic insurance on 2 cars one of them was just insured last week. some things apply to classic car insurance I was unable to insure my second car which was a 180sx jap car until I was 30 years old. i was looking for something for jap fpr a while but didnt bother as they were on banned lists the 180sx until i was 30. The log book will also need to be in your name for your gfs car if you decide to go that route. the only thing is the car being japanese you mgiht have an issue but i would 100% try autoline they are the only ones that would quote me and insure me on the 180sx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW I drive one(JDM import) as my daily and got my best quote by far from Chill of all people. They were well under half of most. Might be worth a punt.

From my dealings with brokers and direct dealing with companies is that the Jap/Irish(or UK) origin has made little or no difference in quite a few years. It was always a bit variable too. When I was looking for one in 04/05 I looked at a couple of original Irish cars and the insurance companies wanted more for the local, the JDM were cheaper at the time. A little later on and that very much reversed. Classic status was variable on JDM stuff, local or import. Going by friends with older cars on classic policies the German iron was far more acceptable to the insurance companies and they'd tick the classic box at younger ages too. Again that attitude seems to to have softened of late. Well the JDM stuff is much less popular and not nearly so cheap as they once were and worldwide the classic thing around them has gone mainstream, where it wasn't ten years ago.

As usual it's down to age of driver(if you're under 30 I'd say forget it), length of NCB, lack of penalty points, where you live and even how long you've had the car. I've mine for aaaages and was told more than once that this apparently made a difference. Whether the brokers were just shooting the breeze with me or not I've no idea, but it makes perfect sense. Bloke A with the same car for ten years with no claims is far less of a risk than Bloke B who bought one last week.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement