Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Air Fryer to get?

Options
  • 16-04-2021 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve being considering this with a while and thinking of getting one.
    We never had a deep fat fryer and would fry chips in a pan of oil very rarely.
    I’ve being hearing a lot about air fryers both good and bad.
    If I was to purchase one has anybody any recommendations?

Are the cheaper Aldi/Lidl/Tower ones any good compared to the philips ones?
    I can’t see ourselves cooking whole chickens/etc in them either. So, I don’t think we’d need a big one.
    How are they for cleaning? We don’t have a dishwasher. How often would they need cleaning?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Generally they all work the same, its just a mini oven with forced air swirling around inside which cooks most foods about 30% quicker due to the smaller size.

As they all perform pretty much the same the only question really on which one to get is longevity, Ive had a Philips almost 5 years now and its still going strong and others are the same. Im not sure on cheaper brands but I reckon with the Lidl/Aldi 3 year warranty you are pretty well covered as I think they are only around 60 quid in there whereas Philips are more than double that cost.

Regards size, if cooking for 1-2 people the regular size is fine. If 3-4 people then get an XL one as the regular size wont fit enough chips for 4 people in one cook.

Cleaning- with fatty foods like sausages and rashers the fat gathers in the bottom tray. You just wipe it dry with a paper towel and thats it. Depending on use then youd need to clean out the basket about once a week, twice if using it every single day.

Theres a big thread on air fryers over on the Food forum with lots of other info. They are great devices and for me have replaced my oven for everything except bigger stuff like roasting a chicken or joints. You can actually fit a small chicken in an airfryer and they crisp up really well but Im running the oven for roast potatoes/veg anyway so put the chicken in there with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks.
    We’ve a plug in mini oven at the moment which we find great for heating up fast and cooking stuff fast.
    I might hold off a little and try and try stuff from one before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

We got the Tower 5-1 earlier this year and we rarely get takeaway since.

Chicken wings and thighs are fantastic, you can easily do a fry for two which tastes good. The rotisserie will work for chickens under 1.4kg and they are much nicer than using the oven.

https://www.did.ie/tower-2000w-11l-5-in-1-manual-air-fryer-oven-with-rotisserie-black-t17038-t17038-prd

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

On average how long would a basket of frozen chips take?

No idea with frozen but should be faster than homemade chips.

We would chop the potatoes to about 1.5cm wide and 1cm thick I suppose.
    25 min or so but would depend on size.

Also the Tower has trays not a basket so you need to switch the 1st and second tray halfway through. The third shelf seems hopeless.

No idea with other Air Fryers. The Ninja Air Fryer and pressure cooker is meant to be great. We went with the cheaper option as we thought it would sit idle after a week or so but will probably consider it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

We’ve been through this before people, chips are not chips if done in the air fryer

Nah you just don't know how to cook :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've been doing the research. Ninja gets very good reviews, especially for making chips and I might buy one. Though the Tefal FZ710840 is only 21 cms high and would fit on a shelf in my cupboard.

Big variation in prices for some models across the usual retailers though Ninja tends to be the same price everywhere. But that Tefal model mentioned above varies from 129.95 in Power City through 149.99 in Harvey Norman to 179.99 in Argos.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/review/best-air-fryers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

On average how long would a basket of frozen chips take?

I use Aldis Skin on Fries in the airfryer and from frozen they are done in 12 minutes to get crisp. The packaging says 18 minutes in an oven. I dont use any oil on them as they dont need it.

Generally with airfryers and cooking times you take what ever minutes the packaging says to do in an oven and reduce it by about a third.

Advertisement