Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NAS suggestions

Options
  • 29-04-2020 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Have a small home based business with data management currently handled between some cloud storage and external hard drives but looking to move to a NAS based solution while still utilising cloud storage as an offsite backup.

Looking for something with the following features:

- Simple easy to setup and manage requiring very little knowledge of network administration to maintain.

- Ability to access the NAS like a mapped drive from both Apple and Windows laptops.

- Ability to access, edit and save video files (a few GBs in size) without there being too much of a lag or inconvenience to the point where I just end up working with those files locally on the laptops hard drive. I won't have to do that on a daily basis (most traffic to the NAS would be for much smaller files sizes of 100mb or less) but would be nice to know that when I need to do it the NAS is capable of that.

- The capability to sync selected directories on the NAS to a Google One account as an "offsite" backup.

- The ability to access the NAS anywhere, share files externally on a private link if required and access it via tablets or phones.

- The ability to use the NAS as an FTP server or web server for testing would be a nice bonus.

- Outside of "work" the ability to use Plex for a media server for home entertainment and install apps like BitTorrent, Kodi etc. on the NAS would be nice.

Been looking at the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra (8TB) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Compact-Ethernet-3-5-Inch/dp/B01BIGSRLS which seems to tick most of these boxes but interested to hear any other suggestions at around that price point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A synology or QNAP is what you want.

Don't expose remote access features, these things like all IoT eventually get owned. If you need remote access spend the time to setup an SSH tunnel or VPN so only trusted devices get in. If you want to publicly share use GDrive/365/S3.

Advertisement