Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cement Factory to burn tyres from all over the country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Tim76 wrote: »
    I note from the article that Cian Prendeville & 3 AAA Councillors voted against the granting of the lease at Gortadroma. Yet John Loftus of AAA has come out in support of the incinerator at Mungret. Why the change of heart AAA?

John loftus has been expelled from the aaa

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    John loftus has been expelled from the aaa

Do u know why?

I'd be interested in finding out the AAA's stance on this development. If they even know about it. It seems to be flying under the radar so far, a lot of people in the area don't even know about the proposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Tim76 wrote: »
    Do u know why?

I'd be interested in finding out the AAA's stance on this development. If they even know about it. It seems to be flying under the radar so far, a lot of people in the area don't even know about the proposal.

He was arguing with somebody in a private Facebook chat and things got heated ...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/councillor-made-facebook-threat-that-ill-cut-your-fg-throat-31478971.html

The AAA had to distance themselves from him then.

zulutango wrote: »
    He was arguing with somebody in a private Facebook chat and things got heated ...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/councillor-made-facebook-threat-that-ill-cut-your-fg-throat-31478971.html

The AAA had to distance themselves from him then.

You need to question the suitability and judgement of someone like that to be a public representative.

Is the primetime report available through rte player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Casperbhoy wrote:
    Is the primetime report available through rte player?

No, haven't found it anywhere.

Must not have happened.... Only joking.

What type of tests were they? What were they testing? What was wrong with the methodologies? And what qualifies a journalist to know what is correct or wrong. Had they a consultant to assist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 IsabelGL

Hey all, this application has been withdrawn, limerick planning can't cope with such a large document, so this is to be sent to an bord pleannala, did anyone got a hold on environmental impact statement? Planning office said they don't have any of documentation.

Anyone interested in join Facebook page the name is
    LAP - limerick against pollution

There's a petition there to, even has an expert opinion as to why this should not go ahead.

IsabelGL wrote:
    There's a petition there to, even has an expert opinion as to why this should not go ahead.

Do you mind posting what this 'expert opinion' is, and who the expert is. I don't use FB.

I think it would benefit the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

The line fed to the media seems to be still the implied "good for the environment therefore it must be good for you"... All based purely on CO2 which is the almost the most benign output from any combustion process.

There mustn't be much else good to say about it if a percentage decrease in CO2 is the only publicised "benefit".

moleyv wrote: »
    Do you mind posting what this 'expert opinion' is, and who the expert is. I don't use FB.

Hi, can't post links, I use my log in mostly for partners sites, but if you google CHASE Anthony staines, this would be one of the files an organization in cork (in similar situation) have posts on their website, very interesting stuff, not about the process itself, but about about regulatory bodies and fact that they cannot cope with this type of industry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you put in the link and just replace the dots with a space I'll edit your post with the proper link

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »

[url]Http://www.chaseireland.org/Documents/EPA submission - Dr A Staines.pdf[/url]

IsabelGL wrote: »
    www chaseireland org/Documents/EPA%20submission%20-%20Dr%20A%20Staines pdf

There's a dot before chase, org and PDF, thanks clareman

Chase is bringing An bord planeala to the supreme court as far as i know.

That case will have a huge bearing on the proposed Limerick incinerator

Question: If the planning permission is withdrawn, Is it legal to have the application notice still displayed in front of the factory 3 weeks later?

Casperbhoy wrote:
    Question: If the planning permission is withdrawn, Is it legal to have the application notice still displayed in front of the factory 3 weeks later?

Yes, it means nothing. It has to be displayed from the date of submission (with the newspaper notice being on the date, or a max of two weeks before) and for a min period of 5 weeks (the time for public submissions). A new one must be displayed if there is substantial changes following a request for further information, and the new notice must reflect these significant changes in the description part, along with the same for newspaper notices.

Everywhere is littered with old site notices. As long as they met the above requirements its fine.

Irish Cement will be lodging a revised planning application to Limerick City and Council this Wednesday 27th.There will also be a new notice in the paper on Wednesday.

The new application will be for 90,000 tonnes of tyres and other “alternative fuels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Irish Cement will be lodging a revised planning application to Limerick City and Council this Wednesday 27th.There will also be a new notice in the paper on Wednesday.

The new application will be for 90,000 tonnes of tyres and other “alternative fuels

Are they still on the "high temperatures mean no nasty stuff. We'll even reduce that awful CO2. ..you know, that fizzy drink gas" buzz?

http://m.plymouthherald.co.uk/VIDEO-Plymouth-incinerator-pollution-highest/story-29064272-detail/story.html

I guess nox emissions are a bit of an awkward one in Europe, if people realise what they are then they'll have an awkward moment driving their Green party endorsed diesel car.

Does anyone else find it bit interesting that the quantity of tyres has reduced from 210 000 tons per annum to 90 000 tons on their latest application?!?

Maybe there are trying a softly softly approach? get their foot in the door and then apply for 210 000 tons again?

I've done a bit of research on the amount of end-of-life tyres produced in ireland, per annum it equates to 40 000 tons!

If they are trying to be green by using end of life products, using petcoke has less heavy metals and is a bi-product of crude... So rather then putting petcoke why not incinerate it in cement kilns instead, since they burn at a higher temperature then tyres.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

For anyone who wishes to view the application the new reference file number is 16345. Follow the link below and enter the number in the relevant search bar...

http://eplan.limerick.ie/SearchExact

No docs or drawings have been scanned nor uploaded for public view as yet. There is a limited time frame to make a submission/observation so if you do have any concerns they will have to be made known before Tuesday 31/05/16. Link below for advice on doing same...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/commenting_on_planning_application.html

Anyone who has not made a submission before this date cannot appeal the decision of the council to An Bord Pleanala once made.

Just a reminder, next Tuesday is the final day to make an objection!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

screamer wrote: »
    Do you know what happens to waste tyres at the moment? they are baled and shipped to China where they are broken down into fuel......
    now, sorry, but it's a typical case of NIMBYism, everyone needs the product, wants it, but no one wants to deal with the waste. I think incinerating it in Ireland is far greener than shipping back to China TBH.

There are far better things you can do with waste tyres. They can be ground into pellets and used in all kinds of new products , as well as road surface materials. Burning is the lowest of the low and only results in more toxicity in the air we breathe .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYW5BxOYD10

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardmaster

https://uplift.ie/irish-cement/

Anyone who feels like objecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

https://uplift.ie/irish-cement/

Anyone who feels like objecting.

seeing as the county council have agreed to the application by Irish cement to build facilities to burn tyres, it would appear that this will go ahead, much to the objection of local people.

If there was a non compliance i.e. dioxin release that is caught by a monitoring system.

What would the penalty be for CRH? a small fine or would the facility be shut?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

who_ru wrote: »
    seeing as the county council have agreed to the application by Irish cement to build facilities to burn tyres, it would appear that this will go ahead, much to the objection of local people.

Ever heard of An Bord Pleanala? Anyone who originally objected has 6 weeks from LCCC granting permission to appeal this decision to ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭mart 23

Hi

Do CRH burn tyres at their plant in Drogheda ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mart 23 wrote: »
    Hi

Do CRH burn tyres at their plant in Drogheda ?

They're licensed to use 30,000 tonnes as an alternative fuel.

they are applying for permission i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

they are applying for permission i believe

You can check their license on the EPA website. They already have permission for the Drogheda plant for 30,000 tonnes per annum.

• Advertisement

There was another blow out over the weekend. The EPA and HSE are investigating

Advertisement