Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roxboro Hotel Open

• 28-08-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Well its open now. Pub food not too bad, gym looks nice.

The view you get from the front is pretty dismal though.

Anyone know anyone whos stayed already?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah, i was there today, really nice hotel, staff nice too. Food in Bar 23-19 is lovely!!! havent tried Lannigan's yet though. Gym is good, really helpful staff and lovely pool!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why would anyone want to stay there?

Location wise it's not hectic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

is that beside ALDI? .....:confused:

Why Stay in the Clarion looking into a scrap yard? Why stay in Punches lookin into abandoned Petrol Stations from every angle? Why Stay in the southcourt half way out of the county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Why would anyone want to stay there?

Location wise it's not hectic.

The majority of people in Southill are decent working class people, the area itself won't improve without investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

The reason people will stay there is that it is on the main route into town and will be the first accom the encounter. Have to say though that attempt at a hotel next to punches is awful really badly designed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

is that beside ALDI? .....

no answer so .....

does it look like this ? ... :confused:

ie_1492_001_7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Thats the one. It looks good alright, and I doubt people will care that it is near southill.

I heard they have a dress code in the bar to keep the riff raff out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭StarryBud

If someone wants to enjoy an urban wasteland view out their hotel window then I'm sure they'll love this place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

StarryBud, u should try it berfore u knock it. i was there last weekend, great value, the food in Lanigans was excellent and the staff courteous. dont know about you, i usually dont go to hotels to look out the windows, seems i could do that without booking in, and for free too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The majority of people in Southill are decent working class people, the area itself won't improve without investment.

I agree, but the minority are dreadful, and no amount of investment will help that.

If a guest left the premises and wandered out for a walk or into a local hostelry, as you do when cooped up in a hotel, they could be heading into trouble.

Why Stay in the Clarion looking into a scrap yard? Why stay in Punches lookin into abandoned Petrol Stations from every angle? Why Stay in the southcourt half way out of the county?

They are much better areas however. I haven't seen Punches yet. The views from the "better" side of the Clarion are fabulous.

I always found it weird the way Southill, Carew Park and Weston are such disadvantaged area and yet Janesboro is right in the middle of these disadvantaged area and it stil seems to be a fine area of Limerick.

Fine Wines is opening there soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I don't think people will be staying in a hotel in Limerick for the view, with perhaps the exception of the Clarion. I guess it would be about location near the city.

I always found it weird the way Southill, Carew Park and Weston are such disadvantaged area and yet Janesboro is right in the middle of these disadvantaged area and it stil seems to be a fine area of Limerick.

Weston isn't as disadvantaged as the other two estates. A higher proportion of people own their houses in weston.

The trouble areas in Weston are small. Garryglass avenue, Lenihan Avenue. Even Raheen Square has calmed down in the past few years. They used to call Raheen Square Little Belfast at one stage.

You get little pricks comming up from Garryglass Avenue throwing rocks and bottles at houses on Ballyclough Avenue, however the people who living on Ballyclough avenue 90 percent of them own their houses and have been living there for eons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Well, I look out of the windows if i'm in a hotel. thats normal human behavior i think. if i look into a wasteland i wont come back to that hotel.

but i doubt that locals who know where the hotel is located will book a room there for their own pleasure. i guess that people from abroad will book it because they have no clue about the surroundings. Would you know what the neighbourhood for hotel XYZ in, lets say, Lisbon is?
    Sooner or later the travel guides will give a hint...

To be fair, someone coming from abroad isn't likely to leave the hotel unless it is on a tourbus or a taxi. Hardly likely to be taking a stroll in a strange country now are they.

As for the locals, they still might book a function room for a wedding/cristening/birthay party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

As for the locals, they still might book a function room for a wedding/cristening/birthay party.

On Monday in the office:
    A: So, how was the wedding party?
    B: Great!
    A: Where was it?
    B: In Southill.
    A: Good craic, huh?!?!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

To be fair, someone coming from abroad isn't likely to leave the hotel unless it is on a tourbus or a taxi. Hardly likely to be taking a stroll in a strange country now are they.

Huh? Why not, well I always would take a stroll around, I find it nice to take a walk around a new city. Maybe I'm in the minorty of course. I can see why people would want to be careful of course, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

kyp_durron wrote:
    Huh? Why not, well I always would take a stroll around, I find it nice to take a walk around a new city. Maybe I'm in the minorty of course. I can see why people would want to be careful of course, but still.
    yes i was about to make the same point
    i definetely would be one for walking around a new city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

It gives me nightmares just thinking about it.
    "This hotel bar is boring, let's go to a local pub nearby"
    "Well there's the Olympic Arms or the Steering Wheel"

Not beyond the realms of possibility.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Crea wrote:
    It gives me nightmares just thinking about it.
    "This hotel bar is boring, let's go to a local pub nearby"
    "Well there's the Olympic Arms or the Steering Wheel"

Not beyond the realms of possibility.:eek:

Heh. Imagine in the in-room booklets.

Local Pubs - Steering Wheel*

*Quality Hotels takes no responsibility for death incurred by entering said premises

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

kyp_durron wrote:

1huge1 wrote:
    yes i was about to make the same point
    i definetely would be one for walking around a new city

Of course people might want to take a walk around a new city, but, that doesn't mean the walk has to start at the front door of the hotel. For example the Radisson on the Ennis Road, or the Castletroy Park both are in nominally much safer areas, but, would guests really have much interest in strolling around the city if they had to start from either one.

If you want walk from your hotel then you have to book a city centre hotel e.g. the Clarion. So in my opinion the location of the new quality hotel isn't as big an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

If you take a look at their room rates, they're quite competitive. I've been around the hotel and it's fantastic. The rooms are gorgeous for their star rating (I presume 4?) The bar and restaurant looks great. It should be sold as the gateway to the west of ireland because of it's convenient location, not as a city centre venue.

But all in all, if I came to Limerick, paying under the odds for a luxury hotel, I'd be content. If you want pure indulgence like the Adare Manor, you have to pay for it.....

I've heard the food in Lannigan's is meant to be out of this world. Reall Top Notch! :D

Pity they dont do Lunch, bar food is average at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Blue37

It's pretty easy to understand

It's all socio-economic.

Janesboro is there longer therefore it is more settled ;)

As for people talking about poor tourists venturing into local hostelries spare me.

Shur your bound to get killed if you go into the Steering Wheel :rolleyes:

Blue37 wrote:
    Shur your bound to get killed if you go into the Steering Wheel :rolleyes:

But how would you know? No-vun who has gone in has ever come out..... *creepy music*

MUHAHAHAHAAAA *wraps silk cape around self and disappears*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Blue37

Jumpy wrote:
    But how would you know? No-vun who has gone in has ever come out..... *creepy music*

MUHAHAHAHAAAA *wraps silk cape around self and disappears*

:p

The only out of towners I've ever heard of being attacked in and around the Steering Wheel were Shamrock Rovers supporters and quite frankly they brought in on themselves

By all accounts they flew out the door........ and they didn't even need the aid of one of your silk capes :p

Two shops have opened in the units beside the hotel, Fine Wines and Southside Pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nutzer

I know its funny, been from the boro myself it is a very nice place, and well maintained, it has been like that from the first day back in the 1940s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,290 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah jesus dude, 15 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Southilltin.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've enough to be worrying about playing Resident Evil, without zombie threads too!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement