View Poll Results: What will happen to Trump in the next 4 years?
Stay a political force 149 23.46%
Lose all his political influence 365 57.48%
Other 121 19.06%
Voters: 635. You may not vote on this poll

18-05-2021, 23:40   #3976
Quin_Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
The Republican Party have already made their decision.
Kevin McCarthy went to visit Trump in Mar-A-Lago 2 weeks after he left office.
Lindsey Graham said that they cannot move forward without him.
Niki Halley said that she will not run against him in 2024.
Republican State committees went after those who voted to impeach him like dogs.
Various influential Republican commentators are still referring to him as 'The President'.

They see Trump as their only path to the White House in 2024 and I expect they are confident this time he'd get 2 terms and they'd probably put Halley in their as a VP candidate to appeal to minorities and women and let her have a go after that.

Any Democrats or (Democrat leaning watchers) who think the GOP still don't know what to do with him need to open their eyes and realise what is going on.
Yes and No.

They have painted themselves into a corner with him , they are stuck with him now whether they like it or not (and the truth is most absolutely do not)

He has complete control over probably a 3rd of their voter base , people who will simply sit out the Election if he's not there , especially if he was to be kicked out by the GOP.

So , if they try now to cut him loose , they get absolutely cleaned out in 2022 across the board and they know it.

On the other hand , they also know that he is absolute poison to probably 55-60% of the overall voting population so his chances of actually winning in 2024 are beyond slim.

They should be absolutely zero , but the utter abomination that is the Electoral College gives him a punchers chance as they say.

The GOP just need to block, deny and gerrymander a few hundred thousand voters across a half dozen States or so and they could manage to re-install the single most unpopular US President in History.

And if you look at the draft legislation floating around GOP controlled State Houses across the US , that is exactly what they are trying to do.
Advertisement
19-05-2021, 00:13   #3977
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin_Dub View Post
The GOP just need to block, deny and gerrymander a few hundred thousand voters across a half dozen States or so and they could manage to re-install the single most unpopular US President in History.
I can't really agree that Trump is the most unpopular US president in history. If he were, the course of the Republican party would be simple. On the one hand, more people voted for the other guy than in any previous election, but on the other hand Trump got 10 million more votes than in 2016 making his number of votes the second highest of all time. He still beats out Jimmy Carter 1980 in terms of raw votes, margin, and states carried.

So he's unpopular with a majority of voters, but highly popular with enough others to make him impossible to jettison.
19-05-2021, 00:37   #3978
Quin_Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by briany View Post
I can't really agree that Trump is the most unpopular US president in history. If he were, the course of the Republican party would be simple. On the one hand, more people voted for the other guy than in any previous election, but on the other hand Trump got 10 million more votes than in 2016 making his number of votes the second highest of all time. He still beats out Jimmy Carter 1980 in terms of raw votes, margin, and states carried.

So he's unpopular with a majority of voters, but highly popular with enough others to make him impossible to jettison.
He is the only President to never break 50% popularity since polling began, so he is by any measure consistently the least popular ever.

He does however have a rabid hard core of support that will support him no matter what he does.

It's that acolyte core that the GOP are terrified of.

They are maybe 25/30% of the GOP vote. If they decided to sit out the next Election or to primary incumbents to replace them with Marjorie Taylor Greene clones, the GOP are toast.
19-05-2021, 00:51   #3979
briany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin_Dub View Post
He is the only President to never break 50% popularity since polling began, so he is by any measure consistently the least popular ever.

He does however have a rabid hard core of support that will support him no matter what he does.

It's that acolyte core that the GOP are terrified of.

They are maybe 25/30% of the GOP vote. If they decided to sit out the next Election or to primary incumbents to replace them with Marjorie Taylor Greene clones, the GOP are toast.
I thought we learned the lesson with Trump and opinion polls the previous time. Again in 2020, he outperformed the opinion polls in several states that suggested Biden would easily win those states where it ended up being very close. It's been hard over the two elections for pollsters to accurately gauge Trump's real support. By the measure which ultimately counts, ie the election itself, no he's not the most unpopular president ever.
19-05-2021, 03:34   #3980
Tell me how

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/stat...911660033?s=19

Still not putting money on that this will be enough to remove him from politics, but at least its moving in right direction.
Advertisement
19-05-2021, 03:44   #3981
Overheal
Covfefe Connoisseur

Send a message via ICQ to Overheal Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Quote:

Still not putting money on that this will be enough to remove him from politics, but at least its moving in right direction.
The victimhood rallies begin in June. Lots of fundraising, lots of gaslighting, lots of media buzz to make jury selection arduous, etc. etc. all part of the playbook.
(2) thanks from:
19-05-2021, 05:58   #3982
everlast75

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1394...833549828?s=19

He forgot to say they call him sir first.

Does anyone believe this nonsense?
(3) thanks from:
19-05-2021, 06:00   #3983
Overheal
Covfefe Connoisseur

Send a message via ICQ to Overheal Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast75 View Post
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1394...833549828?s=19

He forgot to say they call him sir first.

Does anyone believe this nonsense?
Actually that wouldn't surprise me at all. Some people are absolutely starstruck for the Trumps.
(3) thanks from:
19-05-2021, 06:04   #3984
ILoveYourVibes

Some republicans are counting on his being convicted ...they will support him until then....after conviction he can't run for president ..but he will still remain a political force ....or at least a grifter

If he is not convicted he will run for president again ..get the gop nomination ..then who knows maybe america will be silly enough to vote him in again
Advertisement
19-05-2021, 06:08   #3985
everlast75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheal View Post
Actually that wouldn't surprise me at all. Some people are absolutely starstruck for the Trumps.
Eric can't even get a hug from Donald, nevermind a stranger.

C'mon, it's the type of exagerated nonsense his dad spouted for years.
19-05-2021, 06:09   #3986
everlast75

More wilful arseholery from the Reps.

I'm imagining how much these lot need a slap across the back of the head and being told to cop on

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/13...531308550?s=19
Thanks from:
19-05-2021, 06:10   #3987
ILoveYourVibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast75 View Post
Eric can't even get a hug from Donald, nevermind a stranger.

C'mon, it's the type of exagerated nonsense his dad spouted for years.
The story might not be true. But his voters are still loyal. Trump controls the GOP now.
19-05-2021, 06:24   #3988
everlast75

Quote:

Yeah - mixed feelings about this tbh

1) James campaigned on going after trump. This always irked me

2) announcing a state criminal investigations means they can't be subject to a pardon

3) why would trump fight the release of taxes unless there was a there there

4) taxes did get capone

5) the CFO was cooperating, so my guess is that he isn't the target

6) criminal charges against the org will be extremely damaging to the brand (it has already suffered with the Trump stink, losing contacts etc)

7) criminal charges means proof of intent, beyond a reasonable doubt, so she must be confident she has the goods

Edit

8) I've been disappointed before

Last edited by everlast75; 19-05-2021 at 06:30.
(3) thanks from:
19-05-2021, 07:15   #3989
francois

So much winning
https://t.co/YpFZRdG8Di?amp=1
(2) thanks from:
19-05-2021, 07:37   #3990
francois

Closing in...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...droidApp_Other
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply