Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jody clubbing Seals?

Options
  • 14-05-2021 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/some-drama-with-seals-watches-and-just-one-more-watch.5307187/

https://www.instagram.com/p/COz4LWPL8so/

https://www.instagram.com/p/COvYl1vrjdJ/

Did anyone see this Jody from JustOneMoreWatch vs Seals a microbrand?

Jody was nice was I got in touch with him (I had said off the bat that I didn't engage in paid reviews) and politely responded (not something you get from large reviewers) that the watch wouldn't be suitable for his channel.

Would people's impression of his reviews change if it's public that Jody gets to keep a watch and takes $500 for a review?

I was discussing this elsewhere and had an epiphany moment for myself - for these 100/200k+ subscriber channels - they should really be viewed as the "Top Gear" of watches i.e. entertainment *about* watches, not really serious reviews *of* watches - no-one seriously believes Top Gear is factually reviewing a Ferrari/Lambo/Dacia Sandero but is providing amazing shots and photography/cinematography - and collaboration with brands is expected (maybe even advertising a car brand) - but Fifth Gear is an actual car *review* show... can massive watch channels like Teddy/B&J etc. get to their size by solely doing reviews or is it just watch content/entertainment for folks to consume - in which case a watch being "looked at" isn't actually being reviewed at all but just shown off with the creator's content creation skills.

JOMW seems to be a great content creator/entertainer - who happens to make content about watches, not reviews *of* watches (and that's not an issue - Top Gear was a great car entertainment show...)

Sólás has stuck to its "no-paid reviews" stance - and I don't ask for editorial control either. If I was paying for a service (say like the ABTW sponsored post - I would expect full editorial control over the service being purchased).

If you view JOMW as "watch entertainment" rather than a review it makes sense then to compare your "return on investment" on that $500 vs paying it to ABTW for a sponsored post - I think it's a rather opaque world of watch "reviews" though when a lot (all?) of the larger channels ask for payment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Even though its paid, I would say he does do a fairly thorough review of the watch so I wouldn't view his channel as entertainment. You just have to weigh up what he's saying while knowing he was paid. 500 bucks and a watch at cost price to you would actually be good value in my opinion. He has that whole bang for buck Market sown up on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

redlead wrote: »
    Even though its paid, I would say he does do a fairly thorough review of the watch so I wouldn't view his channel as entertainment. You just have to weigh up what he's saying while knowing he was paid. 500 bucks and a watch at cost price to you would actually be good value in my opinion. He has that whole bang for buck Market sown up on YouTube.

Oh most certainly - the "ROI" from a Time Teller or JOMW review would be massive if viewed as marketing investment vs Worn&Wound/Fratello ads etc. (or so I've been told) - I see Jody doesn't monetise his videos either so he may be reliant on paid watch reviews to pay his living expenses - shooting, editing and publishing 3 videos a week is no joke (as Fitz and Blanchy will attest to I'm sure).

Anyway - on the FB groups where I'm on it seems that people are surprised that he is getting paid in cash in addition to watches (though for some brands the watches would be worth more than the cash amount paid) - it's strange what the Seals owner is saying about not knowing that there was a cash fee in addition to the watch being given. I think it's an interesting tale that's developing as a result of now a pretty public disagreement between a microbrand and one of the largest microbrand reviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

JOMW has said on the insta thread there was no cash involved. Just the watch. Id have a problem if he was getting cash and giving glowing reviews, but he points out faults, shortcomings etc. In fairness he must spend a lot of time shooting, editing etc

He did indicate that he will be looking at a way of branching out and capitalising on what he does, similar ti bark & jack, teddy b, etc

I think the Seals owner has said on his Insta that there was cash asked for (and my knowledge of JOMW is that the standard fee is $500 in addition to the watch) - so who knows exactly what is going on. This is something that may lead to both being negatively affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

He was getting a lot of negative comments on fb when I saw it. There's a huge amount of work that goes into producing videos like his so the money needs to come from somewhere.

A few people said they would stop watching him because he gets paid/keeps the watch... is it really a big deal as long as he's up front about being sponsored?

I think the whole situation comes across badly for both parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Blanchy90 wrote: »

Think a lesson to be learned here, even the king of low cost watches shouldn't air his dirty laundry in public, makes him seem greedy and lets people peep under the covers of what is a fairly shady area of the watch industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

In fairness he did mention on one video that he lost his job last year due to the pandemic, but if he's accepting cash then it should be made clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    He was getting a lot of negative comments on fb when I saw it. There's a huge amount of work that goes into producing videos like his so the money needs to come from somewhere.

A few people said they would stop watching him because he gets paid/keeps the watch... is it really a big deal as long as he's up front about being sponsored?

If he says the video is sponsored then it doesn’t matter if he is getting a free watch (that he can then sell for cash). Or actual cash. The difference is splitting hairs.

Think the brand came out better. With the obvious point that they will fulfill his free watch. But only once paying customers are done. Fair enough I thought.

All watch reviews are to be taken with a pinch of salt. A bit like Tmosso where no watch is every to big or too small.

I was speaking to some reviewers and watch brands about this - it's a spectrum I think as any large reviewer can easily become an "influencer" (and yes in martketing terms influencers work, and work very well).

Reviewers made the point that even if you're just getting a review watch to return from the brand and shipping costs paid - there can be an influence on a review as you didn't have the "pain" of spending say $500 on a particular micro or $150 on an Aliexpress - does that mean you're less likely to be "picky" about small things that as a paying customer you wouldn't let slide?

I think it's better when they ask for cash generally - brands don't lose an important review unit (which is more expensive than retail costs when you factor in R&D costs) (or in Jody's case a retail unit) - asking for cash just makes it a simple transaction - and (with my watch enthusiast hat on rather than microbrand) - I'd see it as more "okay" if you're taking San Martin/Cronos/Heimdallr money to then go out to buy and review watches from brands that won't give away watches - this may allow a content creator to review a Tudor BB58 or Omega or Rolex and grow their channel that way.

As for Jody's job - when you're that large and producing that much content the watch review channel is his primary (income generating) source - we estimated that he'd probably earn around $10-12,000 a month at his channel size and monetisation options - roughly 1/3rd YT ads, 1/3rd affiliate links and 1/3rd cash/selling free watches from reviews - and fair play to the guy - it's a business for him and he works hard at his job.

The point was made to me that Jody actually earns more from reviewing non-microbrands since they get more views (ad revenue) and he can use the affiliate links more efficiently.

So - for a business that may be earning around 10k a month - losing out on 1 watch (I'm inclined to believe Jody's side since he provides a lot more details about timelines and such) retailing at around $1,000 should be chalked up as a bad debt/tax deduction and move on - he'd damage his business a lot more by losing 10k subscribers etc. than getting a $1k watch.

Oh and we were spitballing ideas about how to segregate the business of watch reviews from watch brands - and for me - ideally having a non-watch related sponsor (I think we've all seen those Audible ads on YT) would be a completely ok way to do things - or seek money from subscribers directly as Patreons. I'm not sure you could make a living from sponsored ad segways and Patreon though - watchs are very niche (despite our little bubble here) - it works for mobile phone/laptop reviewers because they get 5 million views, not 80k views (which for a watch channel is already very, very high).

As I said to my reviewer friend (which now makes it difficult as we have a personal relationship as well as reviewer/brand relationship too - I trust him to castigate Sólás if we deserve it though) - I guess it's about goals - some people start a channel and want to get enough back to cover filming costs, buying a few $200-400 watches to review, share their hobby and passions... some realise that their brand of content is worth perhaps 10k a month and turn it into their job, some just want to get free watches. For people who treat it as a business (and if you're deriving 5 figure incomes monthly it is a business for most) - of course rational business decisions should be made - which makes the decision to go public with the Seals bad debt spat somewhat less rational in my view.

Same applies for all brands of course - watch microbrands included :D - there are very specific reasons for Sólás however that come model 3 Eclipse I may want to mention publicly - before model 3 I want all our models to be judged purely on their own merits without any "backstory" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I am glad you guys know what this is all about.

I just saw the post heading on a latest post list and thought someone was battering marine wildlife.

Glad to see it's not that sinister.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the watch forum ha - we're an odd bunch but I don't think particularly violent (especially towards seals) - I'd club a salmon though (but use all of the meat and skin afterwards :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely wouldn't bother me if someone was paid, but would be nice if it's mentioned. Any JOMW I've seen he usually mentions if he's getting the watch to keep. I would be more using youtube channels for the entertainment or just to see the watch in the flesh, I wouldn't be put off by what is said tbh, but obviously some will be influenced.
    Most watch channels are just boring imho (except boardsies obviously) as they just get repetitive. JOMW is very repetitive, I would watch one in 10 videos on his channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Jody is defo not the worst and does give a reasonable overview of the watch. He doesnt get into details of collecting or comparisons that much. Buy far his best reviews were those of his friend Mr. X's watches. When presented with a more high tier watch he really goes indepth and honestly these are his best reviews. He often seems to just be going through the motions with the run of the mill pagani's etc and his boredom with the watch come through but not in his words. He can be very funny at times and has a dry wit. I often get the impression that he spends so much time reviewing watches, that he takes no joy in his own collection anymore and watches are a chore to him. Nothing like making your hobby a job to rid you of any joy you took from it.

Still he is not selling coffee, or jocks with his channel logo on it.

Advertisement