Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What exactly happens at your first 'booking' appointment at 12 weeks?

• 03-05-2021 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Have my first app. around 12 weeks. No major details in letter other than to come with a full bladder and that it will take over 2 and a half hours.
    What happens at these?

Also, have an early scan for 6-7 weeks soon in a private clinic and wondering how this works or is it as simple as you go in and they scan you?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

babyllama wrote: »
    Have my first app. around 12 weeks. No major details in letter other than to come with a full bladder and that it will take over 2 and a half hours.
    What happens at these?

Also, have an early scan for 6-7 weeks soon in a private clinic and wondering how this works or is it as simple as you go in and they scan you?
    Thank you!

I'm a private patient so it might be slightly different if you're going public, but my 12 week appointment was a scan with my obstetrician, followed by a midwife taking bloods, weight, blood pressure, urine and a full medical history.

For early scans in private clinics, yes you just go in and they will scan you. 6-7 weeks is quite early, sometimes they won't take bookings until you're at least 8 weeks, as if your dates are off they may not see much (which can cause unnecessary panic!). Even if your dates are accurate, they may not see much at 6 weeks (this happened to me when I was scanned due to bleeding, but all was fine in a follow up at 8 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bettysk

Congratulations! Like above I think 6-7 weeks is too early for an early scan.. They'd normally push to leave it to after 8.

First appt in the hospital will consist of taking all your medical history, weight / height and bloods and urine. At all 3 of mine, I had a little scan too. Any subsequent appts will depend on first, I had iron problems so had bloods taken at most appts but other than that its urine at every appt and a doppler / scan (my hospital had scanner for all appts but ive heard others dont).

Combined care or MLU (midwivery led) are brilliant if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 babyllama

Thanks for all that info.

I am semi-private so guessing it's similar enough....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Semi private on my lot.Midwife sees you first (Rotunda).They take bloods, urine check, weigh you and work through a questionnaire on you and your family background just around diabetes, any major genetic issues you may be aware of, your dates,that kind of thing.They also ask about how you feel at home, do you feel safe etc - your partner will not be allowed to attend this part of the appointment with you (outside of covid rules, obviously). Then back to the waiting room, and then in to the consultant who will have a chat about the file the midwives send through to him, any items of interest and then do a quick scan.Then you go out and book the next appointment (and at that point you'll pay -get a receipt so you can claim it back!).

Hope that helps.

Advertisement