Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joint problems?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

My auld lad must have been taking a serious dose of cod liver oil, it would come through his pores when he’d bathe. Did absolutely nothing for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    My auld lad must have been taking a serious dose of cod liver oil, it would come through his pores when he’d bathe. Did absolutely nothing for him.
    no supplement mentioned on this thread does anything good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

looksee wrote: »
    Some people find glucosamine helpful and it has been around for a good while. I might see about going back on it myself.

Turmeric gets great write-ups but I don't know if any actual research has been done on it specific to joint pain. I think the quality of the turmeric matters significantly, I am going on memory here, I think the active ingredient is curcumin which has some scientific backing.

For any of these drugs (and of course for any drugs) you need to check with your gp or pharmacist about contra-indications for any other drugs or conditions you have.

A lot of vets and pet owners use eg turmeric for critters; with good results. animals are more objective than we are. Oh and turmeric needs black pepper with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be honest I think a lot of this stuff, be it cod liver oil, glucosamine etc are placebo's.

If your body is aging and hurting, will these things really help?

I thoroughly agree with this.

I can only speak from experience and say that what definitely did 'work for me' when I had very bad knee pain in recent years was strengthening exercises 2 or 3 times a week, complemented by frequent (but not excessive) walking, swimming and cycling.

This notion that cod liver oil, or zinc tablets, or kombucha, or fermented whatever is going to sort your knee pain.....if only life was that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

On a related note- having gone through somewhat of a journey when my knee broke down two years ago, I would be quite resentful of any supplements or food company who uses the arthritis calling card as part of their advertising......its a cheap trick and gives people false hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ravendale

How has this gone for you? I asked GP but he said that steroid use over time would mean a high cortisol lever over time. Bringin its own problem, id be interested if you are still on it and any issues with BP, Insulin or Weight Gain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My last injection was the 2019 one. I may have another soon tho as my shoulder is beginning to act up again.

No issues with BP/Weight Gain or insulin (I actually eliminated my lantus dose).

I keep a close eye on BP, weight and blood glucose as they are important for me to manage risk as a diabetic. It worked for me, but it may not work for you and it really is a matter that your GP can best advise on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

There are different causes for joint pain and different forms of arthritis.

wear and tear causing the cartilage loss and the pain of bone on bone is not reversible. Exercise will not prevent this or remedy it. it is best to seek help when symptoms first show up rather than wearing your knees or other joints out to the point of no return. If you have wear n tear then a physio needs to advise you on the correct excercise for your joints. Your gp will refer you to a hospital and i have found hospital physio excellent above private physio. This was for my upper body.

i had a lot of Joint pain in knee and ankle in the 1990s. i went to a homeopath who advised - Oils are good - it doesnt have to be fish oils - starflower and evening primrose are good too but oils are best taken every day with other general mulitivitamins so that the full nutrients of oils are absorbed. dwvils claw taken with them cures the pain. they need to be taken for 3 months before the benefits are felt.

I did this and it worked. I kept it up for 6 momths and then i stopped. my symptoms ceased after 2 momth. i stopped after I left Belfast and went south. The winter was v cold that year and the northern air got in on me. all well since then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Devils claw - i made a typo above and i cannot figure out how to edit it,😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Click the gear icon on your post. This brings up the Edit option.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement