Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarlam Shaverlight not working

Options
  • 27-05-2021 11:34pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

One of the shaverlights in the main bathroom stopped working a few days ago (its twin in the en-suite never worked, but I didn't think it'd be worth ringing the landlord about unless I had other electrical issues, so I left it).

it's a "SARLAM MODEL - SHAVERLIGHT", I'll post pictures in a sec.

Now, first I thought it might have been the striplamp itself, so I got a new one today (the last one in the shop and the box was already open; it's an LED one, if it makes any difference) but that didn't work either.

Now, I don't know if it's the striplight or the actual fitting itself that's causing the problem, but I'm trying to figure out if it's something simple I can fix myself or not (e.g., is there a fuse or a starter or something that could need to be replaced? Is there a way of testing the striplight itself?

The one in the ensuite has its "contact prongs" (sorry, I've no idea what their actual name is, I'm talking about the copper bits on the side of the cover of the light fitting that close the circuit and cause the striplight to stay put in place) that look bent rather awkwardly, as opposed to to match the shape of those on the other side (you can see them on the second photo). Could this also have an effect on the functionality of the shaverlight? Do they need to be replaced also, or would they still work if I corrected the wrong bends?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

554279.jpg

554280.jpg

554281.jpg

IMG]

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most likely the issue is the way the lamp and cover are installed. The copper parts at the end of the cover must make contact with the end is the lamp and then they plug into the live parts of the base of the light fitting. Very fiddly! The idea is that it reduces shock risk when changing the lamp.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks for the suggestion, but that does not seem to be it - I usually insert the lamp into the plastic brackets, then I partially insert the cover until part of the copper parts are in place and then tap the cover into place until it clicks and it's flush to the base. I had previously changed the striplight in the bathroom before and it had worked.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I will bet that is the issue!
    These are fiddly low quality fittings.

You may prove me wrong. Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

2011 wrote: »
    I will bet that is the issue!
    These are fiddly low quality fittings.

You may prove me wrong. Best of luck !

Agree here

Insert the new lamp into the clear diffuser first and check of the ends make contact with the copper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Had one of these in the old house, from memory the socket only works when the light is on for the old times before batteries I guess :)

meercat wrote: »
    Agree here

Insert the new lamp into the clear diffuser first and check of the ends make contact with the copper.

Bingo. The copper on the outside was fitting perfectly in the slots, but the part on the inside wasn't touching the lamp at all. :o I feel like a complete idiot, but thanks for all the help, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

New Home wrote: »
    Bingo. The copper on the outside was fitting perfectly in the slots, but the part on the inside wasn't touching the lamp at all. :o I feel like a complete idiot, but thanks for all the help, folks.

Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pulse1975

Had this issue myself. The tiny legs on the plastic clear shade need to be pushed into the wall mounted unit correctly. Unfortunately they are cheap and usually break so don't make propper contact. I inserted a piece of hard plastic and then closed shade on to wall unit. Sorted it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pulse1975

sorry, see you got sorted

• Advertisement

The other difficulty I had was to find a lamp - the shop where I eventually got it had only one left - €14, too, which I though was a tad steep, TBH, but maybe this one is more energy efficient than the old one.

Advertisement