Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Goddesses and Gods and Wicca

Options
  • 12-05-2005 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

At the moment I'm studying Irish Deities, from an Eclectic Wiccan perspective. I'd like to make Them the primary Deities I work with, since I,m living in Ireland and many of my ancestors are from here.

What do people think of Lugh as the God of the Waxing Year, and the Dagda as Lord of the Waning year?

I'm also interested in finding Irish Deities to invoke at each of the 8 Festivals
    (I know only the Big Four festivals are Celtic, but I'm not purist and I recognise that all Paths have always incorporated elements from different streams)

So far I have:

Samhain: The Morrigan (The Dagda?)
    Winter Solstice: Manannan and Danu
    Imbolc: Brigit
    Spring Equinox: (Lugh ?)
    Bealtinne: Aengus Og
    Summer Solstice: Grainne
    Lughnasadh: Tailltu, (Lugh?)
    Autumn Equinox: The Dagda

Blessed Be, Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

[Moderator note: I'm splitting this from where it was as it may be missed by someone interested in this, but not the other thread]

Top-of-my-head thoughts:
    I'd definitely associate Lugh with Lughnasadh, where you have him down as "(Lugh ?)". Also I'd associate Bel with Bealtaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭PaulinCork

Thanks Talliesin.

I'd also be interested in finding out what offerings the Irish Gods and Goddesses would appreciate. I found a clue here:

http://www.shee-eire.com/Magic&Mythology/Myths/Tuatha-De-Danann/The-exploits-of-the-Dagda/Page1.htm
    Dagda went to their camp and asked for a truce. This was granted, but to mock him the Fomorians made him a porridge, because his fondness for porridge was well known. They filled for him the king's cauldron, and poured into it four-score gallons of new milk, and the same amount of meat and fat. They put goats and sheep and pigs into it, and boiled everything together. Then they poured it all into a hole in the ground

I think this Goddess is very appropriate for Bealtinne.

from:http://www.shee-eire.com/Magic&Mythology/Gods&Goddess/Celtic/Goddess/Flidais/Page1.htm

Celtic Goddess

Flidais

Name: Flidais / Fliethas

Titles: Foltchaoin 'Soft-haired': 'Mistress of the Stags'

Properties: Goddess of Wild Animals / Sexual Passion & Lust

Husbands: Adammair : Ailill Fionn

Consort: Fergus Mac Roich ( Son of the Great Horse)

Son: Nia Seaghamain 'Warrior of Deer Treasure'

Daughters: Fand Argoen Be Chuille Dinand Be Theite

Prize Cow: Maol 'the Hornless'

Associated Herbs: Lust: Mistletoe

Image of Flidais by John Duncan 19th C.

Flidais is the Goddess of Wild Beasts and owns a herd of supernatural cattle. She is also a sexually potent being, as her consort Fergus needs seven ordinary women to satisfy his needs whenever Flidais is not there to satisfy him. Flidais is ruler of the beasts of the forest and is drawn along in a chariot pulled by a deer.

Flidais was the wife of Ailill Fionn when Bricriu the troublemaker from Ulster, persuades Fergus to woo her, Ailill Fionn battles with Fergus and his men but is slain. Flidais then stays with Fergus bringing her herd of magical cattle to Ulster. The most famed of her cows was called Maol and this cow gave so much milk that she could nourish three hundred men and their families in a day.

Stories, Myths and Legends associated with Flidais

The Story of the Tuatha De Danann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 faecircle

There are some excellent articles about the Morrigan on www.avalonia.co.uk/goddess/index.htm. Worth checking out I have recently discovered Her and have only limited experience of working with Her, but find Her to be a most interesting goddess!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

*this is taken from the (llewellyn's)2005 Magical almanac, where you can find the details on them, I am listing thier names for you to reference.*

(oh forgive my punctuation of names but I dont know how to add the accent marks over letters)

Abairche
    Aed mac Aed na nAmsach
    Aed Ruad
    Aed Uchtgel
    Aillenn Fhialchorcra
    Be Binn
    Blathnait
    Bodh Derg
    Caincinde
    Cas Corach
    Cliodna
    Cnu Deroil
    Dairenn
    Diangalach
    Echtga
    Etain
    Etain Fholtfinn
    Ferdoman
    Fer Tuinner
    Fethnaid
    Fidach
    Findine
    Illathach
    Libra Primliagig
    Lir
    Lodan
    Muirne Muinchaem
    Mumain
    Sadb
    Scothniam
    Slat
    Tadg Mor
    Teite Brecc
    Tudhcha
    Uaine
    Uaine (will an accent of the U)
    Uchtdelb

If youd like some details on one specifically let me know and I will type what it says here ;)

Advertisement