Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small dog bites when I handle his collar or put on a harness

Options
  • 23-10-2020 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have this dog for five years now, got him as an adult god (he was owned by an old lady), so he is about eight years old. This problem started about ten days ago, after my son lost his favourite harness.

When I try to clip a collar to his leash or to put on another harness (sadly not very well fitting), the dog outright attacks me. He does let my wife or children do it peacefully.

I got thick gloves off Amazon, and he can not bite through them, but it is hard to manipulate the leash and fight the dog at the same time. Some minutes ago I wanted to unclip the leash, but he outright got out of the collar before I was able to take off the leash with the gloves.

At other times he is peaceful, eats off my hand when offered (without biting) and even asks me to pet him sometimes, but "gearing him up" causes attacks - and I am the primary walker, so this is hard.

Sadly the pet shop does not have a really suitable harness to replace the lost one. However, any harness might also be hard to manipulate in thick gloves when fighting the dog.

We did bring him to the vet who did not find any issue.

What can I do here?

One idea I just had is to wear the gloves, touch his collar thus provoking him, when he starts attacking push him down until he is exhausted, then put on (or take off) the leash, but will this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A better idea than provoking him to attack you until he’s knackered would probably be to distract him with treats. Ordering a replacement harness online would probably be a good idea too. .

First, check that the harness isn’t rubbing, pinching, or chafing him. Hold a treat in front of his nose with one hand and touch his collar with the other. Repeat that for a bit. When he’s comfortable with that move in to the harness and do the same. In no time at all you and the harness will be his favourite things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MichaelR wrote: »
    Hello,

I have this dog for five years now, got him as an adult god (he was owned by an old lady), so he is about eight years old. This problem started about ten days ago, after my son lost his favourite harness.

When I try to clip a collar to his leash or to put on another harness (sadly not very well fitting), the dog outright attacks me. He does let my wife or children do it peacefully.

At other times he is peaceful, eats off my hand when offered (without biting) and even asks me to pet him sometimes, but "gearing him up" causes attacks - and I am the primary walker, so this is hard.

Sadly the pet shop does not have a really suitable harness to replace the lost one. However, any harness might also be hard to manipulate in thick gloves when fighting the dog.

We did bring him to the vet who did not find any issue.

What can I do here?

One idea I just had is to wear the gloves, touch his collar thus provoking him, when he starts attacking push him down until he is exhausted, then put on (or take off) the leash, but will this work?[/QUOTE]

You mean nip? ie not biting to draw blood? Please don't apply your last paragraph. It will make matters worse. No aggression. Quiet patience , taking gently all the while … Make it a loving act.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Sometimes takes a lot of time to desensitize the dog to the harness. When we first got our guy he would nip while putting it on so we used treats to distract him. Hold a treat in your hand and loop the head part of the harness through. While he is nibbling at the treat slip it over his head. Then scatter some treats to distract him while fastening it. He stopped nipping after about 3 weeks/a month but he still hates the over the head bit - gets excited when he sees the harness and lead but then retreats when we go to put the harness on. So we still use the treats for the over the head bit but once thats on he'll let us fasten it no problem.

Definitely positive reinforcement is the way to go, it takes time but much better than forcing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Get a new harness online - I'd suggest a perfect fit harness that you don't actually have to put over his head eg - https://www.rawvolution.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=164_174 or https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness.html

And in the meantime have your wife/kids put the harness on.

Wearing gloves to provoke and allow him to bite you or holding him down until he's given up is just cruel and is not going to help your relationship. Your post comes across like you have no bond or love for a dog you've had for 5 years which is very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

How did the prior harness get lost? It's possible the dog had a bad experience and associates it with handling.

Certainly don't tease him with your gloved hands. That's not going to build trust. Just get another harness of the type that's gone missing and in the interim work on your relationship with the dog rather than insisting on walks. Brain-games, chasing a ball, finding treats or the like. Just be kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭ratracer

Something doesn’t seem quite right here. You’ve had the dog for 5 years and have had no issue previously.
    He allows others in the house to still put the new harness on him. He looks for affection from you at other times. What is he like when he goes out walking?

Have you inadvertently done something that may have hurt him the first time you put the new harness on him?

It would be unusual for such an overnight change in his behaviour, but the only way to overcome it, as others have said, is with patience and repetitive movements/ praise. As Graces7 has said, please don’t try to put the harness on by fighting with him, be consistent and it should return to normal behaviour quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Try a step-in harness.

Petmania have a range call Pet Attire by Coastal Pets which they bring in from America.

Very easy to get it on and is very comfortable for the dog, especially if the dog is likely to pull.

I'd give a treat after the harness goes on.

https://www.petmania.ie/product/ribbon-designer-harness-navy-plaid/

Advertisement