Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wanna get a dog... q's..

Options
  • 11-10-2020 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭

Ok - I would love a dog - but I live in the city in a v small house.. and i am a bit of a clean freak..
    Also, there are only 2 of us in the house - there might not always be one of us home.. so need to factor that in too.. the dog would need to be ok on their own for a few hours at least.. (not sure how this goes down with doggies).. we don't have anyone to leave it with near by..

So a lot of factors have to be considered before I would get one.. it might not be realistic..

But lets look at some breeds - what would be a good breed - non smelling and does not loose hair/fur?
    Something small and cute.. quiet - lovable..

I don't want a difficult breed/hybrid that will have lots of health issues and thus medical expenses..

Have met a few Maltese/Bichon dogs.. they are v cute.. so something along those lines?

Have never had a dog of my own before (we had a dog at home all my youth but we lived on a farm and he was Zero maintenance).. I do realise that this would be a different ball game - and I know it would be work.. but I would love to think it would be a possibility..

Also we own our house so no issue with landlords..

Would love to hear some sound constructive info/advice.. TIA

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

In the city, a shih-tzu would be a nice small variety. They shed if you don't brush them daily though, a westie might be better as they have coarser hair that doesn't fall out as much. They're more intelligent too.

Westies like to be walked more than the smaller varieties, although I'd recommend three outings a day regardless of size because dogs have a great spirit of adventure. It's better to aim for three walks and not feel guilty if you miss one some days than feel like they're not getting out enough.

If you are renting, I wouldn't recommend pet ownership. It's incredibly difficult to find somewhere that accepts small furry creatures. If you're still good to go, consider that your circumstances play a big part: it's like having a child, except it's probably easier to bring them most places and find someone to look after children!! It's a lifetime commitment (for them).

sporina wrote: »
    Ok - I would love a dog - but I live in the city in a v small house.. and i am a bit of a clean freak..

So - what would be a good breed - non smelling and does not loose hair/fur?

I don't want a difficult breed/hybrid that will have lots of health issues and thus medical expenses..

Have met a few Maltese/Bichon dogs.. they are v cute.. so something along those lines?

Have never had a dog of my own before (we had a dog at home all my youth but we lived on a farm and he was Zero maintenance).. I do realise that this would be a different ball game - and I know it would be work.. but I would love to think it would be a possibility..

All dogs can get health issues, and unfortunately those designed to be cute are often the ones with the most issues. They are often the ones that are the most profitable for unscrupulous breeders.
    You would want to make sure of your breeder being legitimate and see where they are based and the parents.
    As for smell, apart from skin issues and poor grooming not aware of one type of dog smelling worse than another
    As for being clean, some shed more than others, but you're going to have some hair on furniture and clothing which is part and parcel of ownership.
    Also not sure if you're a renter or not, but if you are would suggest holding off, plenty of dogs handed in to pounds and rescues because their owners have to move and the new landlord won't allow pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I have westies.... I use the term westies because in my opinion they keep each other company when we are out during day working .... I have cameras and see them playing and sleeping on top of each other ... I personally dont think it's any harder having 2 small dogs than 1 .... easier if anything as I explained above

My one is 15 and other 2 and its heartbreaking knowing he wont be with us for much longer , that's a part hopfully you wont have to think about for a long time .....

We like our house spotless to and have a really good shaver to keep their coats short and basically clean ... as said above my westies are mad for their walks and will just sit and stare at you bang on walkies time!!!!

I know loads of people that have got dogs and gave them up because they never realised how much time they take up or worse I know loads that just leave them out back and never interact or walk them ...

They are totally like children and my children love them as much as we do. ..... if I had to pick a fault.... they dont bloody live long enough....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

forget going on holidays if you have a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Nonsense

We went to florida start of year and we have a lovely lady we pay to look after them.... cost us 200 euro for 14 days and nights and I believe that's good value ..... you'll find these people if you take the time and pay them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

No first hand experience of them, but greyhound/lurchers are low maintenance, a short walk each day and they'll rest around the house for the rest. Not sure about shedding but I mention them as lots available to rescue, so may be worth researching. Hope you find a good fit and enjoy your new pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

sporina wrote: »

So - what would be a good breed - non smelling and does not loose hair/fur?

Do you want a living creature or a lifestyle choice? All animals-dogs smell as you should know.Sounds like mammy looked after the dog when you were young.If,you really genuinely want a dog remember they are 24/7 in any situation.They require company and exercise.Ask a properly registered kennels and rehome a dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

You will need to clean up it’s poo in public areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Op, unfortunately there is no perfect dog that will fit within your very strict parameters, cute, non smelling, non shedding.

Paying thousands for Cava poos, malti chons, labr doodles is only promoting back yard greeders and animal abuse.

A dog drools, ****s, sheds, that's what they do.

As another person said, a dog is a living breathing creature.

Cleanfreak and dog dont fit together.

You might like the idea of a dog, but the reality might not suit you or the dog.

You want a non smelling dog that doesn't shed hair? How about a dogfish?

Honestly, what you are asking for doesnt exist. You could perhaps get a small smart terrier and teach him or her to use the toilet, but until they get it you will spend months cleaning up dog poop which smells, sometimes it smells very bad. And there is no guarantee the one you get will ever manage to get it right every time.

Besides poop, there is saliva, which even the smallest dog can create huge amounts of.

I'd love a dog too. I regularly look after my mothers yorkie and I forget how much work they can be until I have him and a busy work day together. Juggling a dog and work, especially if working from home, don't always compliment each other.

One day a few weeks ago, I fed and watered the dog in the morning, had back to back meetings all day, finished around 7, made myself something to eat, and then collapsed on the couch knackered, and he took his cue, brought his ball and said by his expressions: "Ok great, you're free now, lets play!".

It's very hard to tell a dog you're too tired to give him/her their deserved attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

A dog is a serious commitment.
    Our westie, while 13, and the quietest most easy going soul I've ever met, she still loves her daily walk. Smart out, she knows all the signs that signal it's time to head out:)
    She sheds very very little. Any hairs are the ones she kindly leaves on the side of sofa and arm chairs as she dries herself to her standard:)

Dogs, all pets, are fantastic but just like kids they need time ,attention , cleaning up after and loads of patience and love.

Give your decision a lot of thought Op.

Our westie, while 13, and the quietest most easy going soul I've ever met, she still loves her daily walk. Smart out, she knows all the signs that signal it's time to head out:)
    She sheds very very little. Any hairs are the ones she kindly leaves on the side of sofa and arm chairs as she dries herself to her standard:)

Dogs, all pets, are fantastic but just like kids they need time ,attention , cleaning up after and loads of patience and love.

Off topic, but my dream dog is a Westie. Not for the lack of shedding, but for the personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ok I am also a clean freak, but I have dogs.

Shedding is a major issue for me, but they are family and it only takes a few minutes to hoover a few times a day.

When the coat change comes, they get sent to the groomer and a good wash and blow does wonders. Normally takes two proper grooms before the shedding stops.

Dogs become family. My two are like any other member of the family. They have free reign of the house and know what to do and what not to do. They both have completely different personalities despite being half brothers.

If you work all day perhaps two dogs might be better. Dogs, like us, like company. My two are with me 24/7, they go to work with me, in fact practically everywhere.

Someone said you can’t take holidays, that is BS. I have a dog sitter come to the house when we go away. She loves the lads, they love her. It’s not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP - maybe if you want a non hassle non smelling affectionate non shedding pet that dosn’t cause a mess or demand much work and will give you lots of casual love you might consider a cat. You don’t have to walk it, pick
    up its poo, wash it after its been out in the park= mud all afternoon, it won’t demand to
    go outside in all weathers & the rain and then drag the wet sop in from outdoors in its coat and soggy muddy dirt filled undercarriage then sit steaming up the house with wet dog smell or leave wet patches and dirt trails on your floor/carpet/couch/stairs/duvet etc.

Fish are also fun and good that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

bobbyy gee wrote: »

its 16 years since my wife and I had a "holiday" that lasted longer than 5 days, so know where you are coming from.

One of my brothers comes and lives in my house for the few days we do manage to get away.

I know we could use kennels, but would prefer my dog be at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And they never grow up.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP - maybe if you want a non hassle non smelling affectionate non shedding pet that dosn’t cause a mess or demand much work and will give you lots of casual love you might consider a cat. You don’t have to walk it, pick
    up its poo, wash it after its been out in the park= mud all afternoon, it won’t demand to
    go outside in all weathers & the rain and then drag the wet sop in from outdoors in its coat and soggy muddy dirt filled undercarriage then sit steaming up the house with wet dog smell or leave wet patches and dirt trails on your floor/carpet/couch/stairs/duvet etc.

Fish are also fun and good that way.

Ahem.. my cats do most of those things and more. Right now they are outside in the pouring rain and soon will demand in and,,,,, well you know the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

believe it or not a greyhound a small one is the easiest low maintenance dog. Each day they need 2x 20 minute walks 2 dinners and abut 20 hours sleep . they are in the rescues and in great need. They are loving quiet pets a lot are retired racers and are nearly worn out , a nice comfy bed regular food and some exercise in a stress free environment.
    I have 2 in a very small house though i do have a garden . I have had every dog you can think of in my life and these are just peaceful creatures in need of kindness. Go to the rescues.

Alternatively why not volunteer at a rescue and walk some dogs learn about them before you bring one ino your life if you are really a clean freak its perhaps a better option for you as dogs dont clean or put their toys away. !!

believe it or not a greyhound a small one is the easiest low maintenance dog. Each day they need 2x 20 minute walks 2 dinners and abut 20 hours sleep . they are in the rescues and in great need. They are loving quiet pets a lot are retired racers and are nearly worn out , a nice comfy bed regular food and some exercise in a stress free environment.
    I have 2 in a very small house though i do have a garden . I have had every dog you can think of in my life and these are just peaceful creatures in need of kindness. Go to the rescues.

Alternatively why not volunteer at a rescue and walk some dogs learn about them before you bring one ino your life if you are really a clean freak its perhaps a better option for you as dogs dont clean or put their toys away. !!

Second the above on greyhounds, friends of ours have three rescues from their local pound and they are couch potatoes.

Thats probably the best advice so far. The OP should do that and see how he or she feels about picking up dog poo, mopping dog pee, experiencing the occasional aroma that might perfume the night air, and dealing with all the hair.
    or put their toys away

Alfie is very good at putting his toys away. He also collects things. I cleaned out his bed recently and found the following things:

- a 2 euro coin
    - a water bottle top
    - a hairbrush
    - an unidentifiable thing that I think used to be an end of a sandwich
    - a toy car
    - a lego man
    - a bone
    - 3 balls
    - my sisters debit card

It's a wonder he was able to sleep on all of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Switch around your thinking- what can you and your lifestyle give a dog. This is a creature with emotional as well as physical care needs- so have a good think about what you can as well as what you want.
    Remember it's a 15yr commitment and your future life decisions- homes jobs holidays relationships - all need to come from a place of you have a dog. It colours all aspects of your decision making.
    In imo it's totally worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

NSAman wrote: »
    Ok I am also a clean freak, but I have dogs.

Shedding is a major issue for me, but they are family and it only takes a few minutes to hoover a few times a day.

When the coat change comes, they get sent to the groomer and a good wash and blow does wonders. Normally takes two proper grooms before the shedding stops.

Dogs become family. My two are like any other member of the family. They have free reign of the house and know what to do and what not to do. They both have completely different personalities despite being half brothers.

If you work all day perhaps two dogs might be better. Dogs, like us, like company. My two are with me 24/7, they go to work with me, in fact practically everywhere.

Someone said you can’t take holidays, that is BS. I have a dog sitter come to the house when we go away. She loves the lads, they love her. It’s not a problem.

what kind of dogs have you got?

yeah thats a good idea.. will look into that..

thanks everyone for all the replies..

yeah I know it might not be a runner - hence I am looking into it..

I am not a cat person at all.. I just can't warm to them.. but thanks for the suggestion..

if you are worried too much about hair, worried more about the house, not up for walks, maybe you should not get a dog.

I do not mean that in a way to insult you, but part of having a dog is understanding things will happen, they will need walks sun , wind rain or snow and other things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Hooked

Switch around your thinking- what can you and your lifestyle give a dog. This is a creature with emotional as well as physical care needs- so have a good think about what you can as well as what you want.
    Remember it's a 15yr commitment and your future life decisions- homes jobs holidays relationships - all need to come from a place of you have a dog. It colours all aspects of your decision making.
    In imo it's totally worth it!!

Absolutely spot on!!!

I'm almost 10 years down that track and this was the thinking for us... They come on holidays, stay in pet-friendly accommodation... We've built a camper and the last 2 years they've only missed 1 or 2 trips away. For longer stints (we've been to the US and many sun holidays) you just have to find a reputable kennel that they WANT to go to... or a dog sitter. We use both!

They live IN the house with us. They roam freely. Sleep in the kitchen... etc... And their company has been invaluable to my wife who has been working from home since March!!!

They're social animals. As someone who has a modest mid-terrace home, with a small back garden.. it makes NO DIFFERENCE! If you exercise them and include them as part of your lifestyle - it makes owning one (or 2 in our case) all the more rewarding!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

anewme wrote: »
    Op, unfortunately there is no perfect dog that will fit within your very strict parameters, cute, non smelling, non shedding.

Paying thousands for Cava poos, malti chons, labr doodles is only promoting back yard greeders and animal abuse.

A dog drools, ****s, sheds, that's what they do.

As another person said, a dog is a living breathing creature.

Cleanfreak and dog dont fit together.

You might like the idea of a dog, but the reality might not suit you or the dog.

Maybe a dog that takes AA batteries may suit?

Hooked wrote: »
    Absolutely spot on!!!

I'm almost 10 years down that track and this was the thinking for us... They come on holidays, stay in pet-friendly accommodation... We've built a camper and the last 2 years they've only missed 1 or 2 trips away. For longer stints (we've been to the US and many sun holidays) you just have to find a reputable kennel that they WANT to go to... or a dog sitter. We use both!

They live IN the house with us. They roam freely. Sleep in the kitchen... etc... And their company has been invaluable to my wife who has been working from home since March!!!

They're social animals. As someone who has a modest mid-terrace home, with a small back garden.. it makes NO DIFFERENCE! If you exercise them and include them as part of your lifestyle - it makes owning one (or 2 in our case) all the more rewarding!

when I had the 2 collies and the shepherd, they all lived in the house, although my back door was left open at night,

one collie slept in the living room, the other on the top of the stairs where he could watch everything, and the shepherd at the end of the bed.

garden is about 20 ft by 80ft, as you say, once they got their exercise and walks, which was usually let free in the fields, and played with each other in the garden they had plenty.

the collies never cared about tv, but whatever it is with the shepherd, he loves the tv, but as soon as a horse, dog, cat, chicken appears on the screen he goes ballistic, yet in real life he has no problems with animals, it is him just being protective at home.

Dogs owners will understand this, but there are times they would have you in stitches laughing with some of their antics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

OP. Think of a dog as a child you'll have for around 10-15 years depending on breed. Really it can take that level of commitment.

Id recommend approaching one of the rescue organisations about fostering for a time so you can grasp what you are getting into.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

i have 3 dogs and a very small house a bernese mountain dog & 2 greyhounds they roam the house have their beds but the greyhounds occasionally share mine depending on the temperature at 2 am they are great & i love what they give to my life structure proper eating times walks trips in the car interactions with other lovely dog people the plus'es out weigh the minus everytime.

they say a dog owner lives longer by 2 years life expectancy, as you will walk your dogs wind snow or rain, when most people would not venture out, they walk is just as much for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

Have no prob walking the dog or taking it to a kennel if i wanna go on hols - but I do have an issue with it being on its own in the house for too long.. i would not do that to it..

Defo gonna get onto the rescue centre or what ever there is here in Cork..

Also, I am gonna put a "dog walking ad" up in the local shop...

Thanks a mill for all the replies.. and indeed.. as someone said - one with batteries might be more suitable for me at the mo lol..

Advertisement