Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake in Japan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Is there any map that shows altitudes in Ireland (other than mountains)? For instance, which is the nearest land point to West Galway City of a minimum altitude of 65 feet above sea level?

No harm to have a plan, like!

Except, if it ever happens, we won't know about it until it's happening. As far as I know, we have no early warning system which can directly transfer info/warning to the people who'd be affected. What's the use putting it on RTE at 3am?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You wouldn't get much time if Iceland went. The wave travels at the speed of an airliner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Is there any map that shows altitudes in Ireland (other than mountains)? For instance, which is the nearest land point to West Galway City of a minimum altitude of 65 feet above sea level?

No harm to have a plan, like!

Stick on a lifejacket drive like the devil is chasing you and if that fails, strap yourself to something high off the ground and pray :D

The highest peak is Carrauntoohil (Irish: Corrán Tuathail), which is 1,041 metres (3,415 ft) above sea level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I'm just wondering, how many whalers have died? We will probably never know. God save the whales.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Good news for Galway ..........I think !

If one looks at a map it would seem that a Tsunami from the Canaries would miss us & so would one from Iceland, but I wouldn't want to be on Aran.
    johngalway wrote: »
    I like this thread being here in Weather, there is a lesser number of "excitable" types on this forum.
    I'm just wondering, how many whalers have died? We will probably never know. God save the whales.

There's always one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

johngalway wrote: »
    Except, if it ever happens, we won't know about it until it's happening. As far as I know, we have no early warning system which can directly transfer info/warning to the people who'd be affected. What's the use putting it on RTE at 3am?

There's this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Every extra second of warning would count and more so if the expected height was known. Even a few minutes warning could save a lot of lives depending on the size of the wave. But the Irish people would also need to know what to do if they got a warning.

One point to make just to add to the point about seeing the tide go far out. Tsunamis aren't always preceded by a fall in sea level so don't expect to be safe just because it doesn't happen and definitely don't stand around waiting for it if a warning has gone out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I wouldn't give us much chance of escaping in the South. We'd be gridlocked in five minutes. One car crash and we just have to wait ....

I'd estimate the death-rate at some 70,000, though Cork itself does have high ground in the city and nearby, accessing it for the lowland population would be just chaotic.

gbee wrote: »
    I wouldn't give us much chance of escaping in the South. We'd be gridlocked in five minutes. One car crash and we just have to wait ....

I'd estimate the death-rate at some 70,000, though Cork itself does have high ground in the city and nearby, accessing it for the lowland population would be just chaotic.

We have loads of horses so just jump on and ride :D

I cant believe people are actually afraid of tsunami happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

As far as early warning systems go, my mobile phone provider is always texting me with offers at 3am that wake me up. Im assuming they have the ability to text everyone on their network simultaneously.

If the phone providers sent out a text message to everyone at once its pretty much instantaneous?

No?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Riamfada wrote: »
    No?

Yes, no. The reason they send out the messages at this time is because it is quite. I don't know if any network could handle a million texts, I know local radio stations topple over after a couple of hundred when they organised text votes.

networks should be better, but good enough I'd think not, and if at a busy lunchtime, certainly not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

New years eve is bloody chronic :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    New years eve is bloody chronic :(

What are you afraid of you would just soak up the water.:D

I am sure the system would be jammed of all other texts and only the warning alerts would go through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is no emergency override protocol to clear the system for emergency broadcast texts only.

Sorry if already posted, I just saw that Shinmoedake woke up today, and was sending rock and ash two and half miles into sky.

Saw link on RSOE.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?edis=VE-20110313-29937-JPN

Jake1 wrote: »
    Sorry if already posted, I just saw that Shinmoedake woke up today, and was sending rock and ash two and half miles into sky.

Saw link on RSOE.

God help them,what an awful thing to be happening with everything else.
    I saw the one in Hawaii went off aswell Indonesia and Russia.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Hawaii+Kilauea+volcano+erupts/4429652/story.html
    Thats a hell of alot of activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Saw link on RSOE.

Apparently its the volcano in the James Bond film ''you only live twice''.

Interesting fact for the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

70% chance that Japan will have another significant earthquake (similar to Friday's earthquake) between now and Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

God help them if that comes true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Min wrote: »
    70% chance that Japan will have another significant earthquake (similar to Friday's earthquake) between now and Wednesday.

Hoping and praying hard that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement

Everytime I look at the Videos of Japan, I look out my window, and try to imagine a torrent of water coming at me, with cars and buses tossing around. I just couldnt fathom it. Its really like something from a movie.

I hope it ends soon for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

Saw link on RSOE.

Nobody lives near Mount Shinmoe Dake , This Volcano has been alive and simmering for quite a number of years .

That's a load of bollocks metro mentions
    Hundreds of people fled after Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano erupted, shattering windows 6km (four miles) away, as the nation struggles with the aftermath of a massive earthquake and tsunami.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

We don't report the news... we just pass it on. Sometimes it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

kyosushi wrote: »
    Nobody lives near Mount Shinmoe Dake , This Volcano has been alive and simmering for quite a number of years .

That's a load of bollocks metro mentions

Big difference between alive and simmering and erupting ?

yes people do live near the mount, granted not a hugely populated area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

fair do's Jake1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

From Eruptions Blog:
    WILLIAM GEORGE on March 15, 2011, 12:41 AM
    Hi there.

I live in Miyakonojo, which is within spitting distance of Shinmoe-Dake. I’ve been reading this blog since the eruptions started because it has proven to be a better resource for me to find out more about the volcano that most sites. Thanks for that.

However, that LA Times article which has been making the rounds about Sunday’s eruption is bunkum. The ash plume was very high in the sky. So high that the rain clouds were passing under it. Very little ash made it to the ground.

The final two paragraphs of the article refer to something that happed during the first week of erupting. The writer referred to the BBC. When I hunted that source down, it was from February first. Very sloppy work on the writer’s part.

If there was destruction and panic, everyone was over it in time to go to the mall the next day.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Sister is fundraising for Irish Red Cross in Japan. Please support if you can !

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/yvonne_kellys_event/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Home from Japan. Once again thanks to those boardsies who offered to make contact with my family. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

great to hear,you must be relieved.

Advertisement