Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Oh Drumpot,

How I feel for you all, Non pet oweres don't realise how big the silence is when we lose our beloved pets.

We always have a ear listening to where they are and what their up to.
    Wonderful photos, you can see the joy he brought to your lives.

RIP Monty, look after yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Drum sorry on your loss, they leave a huge hole, love the photos

hugs

Oh drumpot, so sorry for your loss, he looks lovely. Springer collie cross is a great mixture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I'm so sorry for your huge loss. Monty sounds like he was the centre of your home and so loved. Those pictures are just lovely. The second one in particular, definitely one for a frame. As others have said, post as much as you need to and as many pictures as you like. Mind yourselves and, sleep tight, handsome Monty.

I wasn't sure if I'd post or not.
    We lost a furry family member at the weekend and I think I'm still a little shocked.
    My mam brought her little dog to the vet at the weekend, he just wasn't himself. My mam hadn't even told anyone else that the little old maneen was gone in for a check up, so it was a bolt out of the blue to be told on Saturday that he was gone to sleep.
    I have the teddy he snuggled as a pup and I've had it by my pillow since.
    Sleep tight Max, I hope the others were waiting for you across the rainbow bridge with a big tasty pigs ear for you <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I wasn't sure if I'd post or not.
    We lost a furry family member at the weekend and I think I'm still a little shocked.
    My mam brought her little dog to the vet at the weekend, he just wasn't himself. My mam hadn't even told anyone else that the little old maneen was gone in for a check up, so it was a bolt out of the blue to be told on Saturday that he was gone to sleep.
    I have the teddy he snuggled as a pup and I've had it by my pillow since.
    Sleep tight Max, I hope the others were waiting for you across the rainbow bridge with a big tasty pigs ear for you <3

Sorry for your loss Eskie, sending hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sorry for your loss Eskie.

RIP little Max.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm sorry Eskie, awful shock being so sudden *hugs*

Sorry for your loss Eskie, and for your Mam, such a shock , Take care of each other.
    RIP Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

So sorry for your loss Eskie. It's awful at any time but a sudden loss hits very hard. Mind yourselves. Sleep tight Max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm sorry Eskie, a big hug to you and Max.

Thanks everyone, I wasn't prepared at all to hear little old Max had to leave us so suddenly. He's with his two best buddies that left us years ago. It'll be sad when I next visit my parents, when ever that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It is almost a month list I lost my darling Miss H at 14.5 years of age.

She came to us at 8 weeks old, when her mother who passed in January brought her and her siblings down to my garden. She was a crazy little whirlwind of a kitten. My late mother used to refer to her as The Hurricane. Perhaps Tornado would have been more appropriate. In the end we decided to call her Miss Higgins after the snooker player.

Because she rarely sat still for very long it took us two years to find out that she was deaf. This was confirmed when she sat on a screeching smoke alarm I had left on the couch, obliviously washing her paws. She never let her disability stop her and her mouse catching prowess was legendary.

She slowed down in recent years and unfortunately developed eye ulcers, which left her partially sighted. So from this year I could no longer let her out. I used to carry her around the garden in my arms much to the amusement of my neighbours.

This year was tough as she had multiple health conditions which required a lot of care. The first thing I would do every morning would be to check on her, disguise her meds in the most wonderfully delicious junky cat food in all of Christendom, sit with her to make sure she took it all and then write up her chart on an Excel file. I am so grateful to the vets for posting down her meds during the lockdown, so her final months were pain free.

In the end she was diagnosed with a horribly aggressive cancer. A week after diagnosis I was told that the tumour had grown rapidly. At that moment I made the awful decision to let her go, while she still had some quality of life. I am very grateful that the vet let me be with her at the end.

I've lost her mother and brother but this loss has been the hardest of them all. I got her ashes back from the vet last week and they sit in a little scatter tube with a picture of sunflowers and a sunset, matching the sunflowers on my coffee table. It is hard to describe but I feel more at peace since then-like an awful anxiety has been lifted. I still have her sister, which helps too.

This is the first moment I saw her, when her mother took her down to my garden all those years ago, and how I want to remember her:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh Sunbeam, that would bring a tear to a glass eye. I'm so glad you're finding more peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

What a lovely tribute to Miss (Hurricane) Higgins. She sure was a beautiful kitten.

So sorry for your loss sunbeam. May the lovely Miss Higgins Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Collecting our new puppy in 10 days... I'm so excited for our next adventure, but when I stop and think I feel so emotional for my beautiful border collie boy who left us 3 years ago aged 15. Miss him so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

sunbeam wrote: »

She came to us at 8 weeks old, when her mother who passed in January brought her and her siblings down to my garden. She was a crazy little whirlwind of a kitten. My late mother used to refer to her as The Hurricane. Perhaps Tornado would have been more appropriate. In the end we decided to call her Miss Higgins after the snooker player.

Because she rarely sat still for very long it took us two years to find out that she was deaf. This was confirmed when she sat on a screeching smoke alarm I had left on the couch, obliviously washing her paws. She never let her disability stop her and her mouse catching prowess was legendary.

She slowed down in recent years and unfortunately developed eye ulcers, which left her partially sighted. So from this year I could no longer let her out. I used to carry her around the garden in my arms much to the amusement of my neighbours.

This year was tough as she had multiple health conditions which required a lot of care. The first thing I would do every morning would be to check on her, disguise her meds in the most wonderfully delicious junky cat food in all of Christendom, sit with her to make sure she took it all and then write up her chart on an Excel file. I am so grateful to the vets for posting down her meds during the lockdown, so her final months were pain free.

In the end she was diagnosed with a horribly aggressive cancer. A week after diagnosis I was told that the tumour had grown rapidly. At that moment I made the awful decision to let her go, while she still had some quality of life. I am very grateful that the vet let me be with her at the end.

I've lost her mother and brother but this loss has been the hardest of them all. I got her ashes back from the vet last week and they sit in a little scatter tube with a picture of sunflowers and a sunset, matching the sunflowers on my coffee table. It is hard to describe but I feel more at peace since then-like an awful anxiety has been lifted. I still have her sister, which helps too.

This is the first moment I saw her, when her mother took her down to my garden all those years ago, and how I want to remember her:

Beautiful cat and a beautiful tribute. Rest in peace Miss Higgins. You made quite an impression in your lifetime :)

Oh Sunbeam, what a heartbreaking tribute,and such an uplifting one at the same time.
    What great care and love you gave her.

So glad your at peace.

RIP Miss Higgins,you beautful girl, time to start a hurricane across the
    rainbow bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Don't know why De Niro has been on my mind constantly over the last few weeks. To give posters who have recently lost pets a little solace, the piercing pain does ease I miss him every day and would have loved him here during lockdown. He was only 2 before contracting vicious leukaemia.

Got sent this cracker of a photo from my aunt. Think it's Xmas Day. About a week before he left. Had lost half his body weight in about a month. Still a legend

sunbeam wrote: »

A wonderful tribute to a wonderful and amazing kitty, that left a wonderful mark in your heart.
    I feel your pain and I am amazed at your devotion in her care, it's not an everyday thing to read such a thing, believe me.

RIP Miss Higgins, you will be truly missed, but your eyes and white coat is shining up there.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    Don't know why De Niro has been on my mind constantly over the last few weeks. To give posters who have recently lost pets a little solace, the piercing pain does ease I miss him every day and would have loved him here during lockdown. He was only 2 before contracting vicious leukaemia.

Got sent this cracker of a photo from my aunt. Think it's Xmas Day. About a week before he left. Had lost half his body weight in about a month. Still a legend

He was and is a legend, like all pets who left a pawprint on our hearts and made our life much better.

RIP De Niro, don't gorget those who loved you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

We said goodbye to my buddy / my boy Samba ( Westie) on friday morning after he had been on decline for past few weeks ....

Myslef and my girlfriend when we bought our house in 2005 , the 1st thing we got to decorate our house was a small bundle of white fur.... I had always wanted a dog my whole life and said when I get a house of my own I'd get a dog .... but I didnt get a dog ... i got a best friend.

We got married in 2008 and we got him a suit and a month later bought him a girlfriend ( Cody) .... we lost her a couple of years ago which was devastating..... he really missed her and a month later rescued another westie , a much younger girlfriend ( Belle) ....

He was 15 years old on November 1st which we didnt know if he would see but thankfully did.

Our 1st child was born in 2009, then next 2012, then 2014 and my best buddy was there for them all growing up, he taught them all the lesson in taking food from a dog with a warning bite which I may say never drew blood but they all grew up respecting the real boss in the house.

I've so many photos of all the hill walking , regular beach visits and videos with kids and dogs ....

As a family we buried him yesterday with small teddies from the 3 kids.... he will be missed massively and he will live on in our memorys .

Fair well my best friend xoxoxoxo

We said goodbye to my buddy / my boy Samba ( Westie) on friday morning after he had been on decline for past few weeks ....

Myslef and my girlfriend when we bought our house in 2005 , the 1st thing we got to decorate our house was a small bundle of white fur.... I had always wanted a dog my whole life and said when I get a house of my own I'd get a dog .... but I didnt get a dog ... i got a best friend.

We got married in 2008 and we got him a suit and a month later bought him a girlfriend ( Cody) .... we lost her a couple of years ago which was devastating..... he really missed her and a month later rescued another westie , a much younger girlfriend ( Belle) ....

He was 15 years old on November 1st which we didnt know if he would see but thankfully did.

Our 1st child was born in 2009, then next 2012, then 2014 and my best buddy was there for them all growing up, he taught them all the lesson in taking food from a dog with a warning bite which I may say never drew blood but they all grew up respecting the real boss in the house.

I've so many photos of all the hill walking , regular beach visits and videos with kids and dogs ....

As a family we buried him yesterday with small teddies from the 3 kids.... he will be missed massively and he will live on in our memorys .

Fair well my best friend xoxoxoxo

What a dapper little fellow! So sorry for you all <3

Monkeysnapper, of all the dogs my softest spot is for websites, what a life Samba had with your growing family, he must have been a happy and massively loved fella. Sorry for your loss..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

everyone lost their loved one. RIP to all. May they rest in peace

In tears reading your post monkeysnapper, such happy menories you'll always have.
    RIP Samba,

RIP Samba, you had a great life and a great family. Run free on that beach now, your human friends are there with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Someone sent me this video about Jimmy Stewart reading a poem about his dog named beau. I think everyone here could relate to the love someone has for their pet. First time I play it i was in bits but loved it so much.

https://youtu.be/mwGnCIdHQH0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

When we were going to adopt our first cat we had one hardline rule - NO WHITE CATS. And then the last cat we were brought to in the adoption centre came straight over to us with purrs and headbumps and we were lost. And of course she was white.
    It was my husband's very first pet and my first cat so we were a bit nervous with her, we followed all the tips for bringing home a new cat, left her in the room on her own, gave her space to feel comfortable and find her way. NO! She didn't want to be left alone, she mioawed and yowled until we came into the room and sat with her and that was it. The most gentle, loving, patient cat a person could ever want.
    She loved weekend snuggles on the bed with us and would yowl loudly every morning for her breakfast. Such an odd yowl that when my mother came to visit she said she thought it was a baby crying during the night. She loved stretching out on the grass in the garden for a snooze and watching all the birds at the bird feeder. We had an amazing summer with her working in the garden whenever we could, she would lounge on the deck chairs and supervise. In the evenings she would curl up on my lap totally contented. Although in honesty she was a whore for a lap and would happily snooze on anyone who sat in her vicinity.

She was diagnosed with kidney disease in May and seemed to get on like a trooper for the summer, didn't let it slow her down at all. But she took a turn 2 weeks ago and just stopped eating. We knew it was coming but it was still a blow for her to go so soon after the diagnosis. We only had 2 years with her but it felt like 10 times that. We said goodbye on Friday last and we are heartbroken. We always called her the perfect starter cat for anyone but really she was just the perfect cat.

Our little Pangur Bán
    533217.jpeg

• Advertisement

Ah Molly, so sorry, that face is adorable, she definitely found the right home with you guys, hope the memories bring you comfort in time

Advertisement