Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Huge clap of thunder in Galway city just there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Absolutely ferocious rain and hail in Galway city now. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hail thunder and lightning in Galway very active lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Huge hailstones in Galway:eek:

Lightening and hail the size of marbles here in Carnmore.

• Advertisement

I have never seen hail like this in Galway on local radio they said the hail was ripping the leaves off trees on Lough Atalia, I drove under a bridge as I thought the car would be damaged by the hail along with other cars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nice big clap of thunder here just now.

Edit: Thunder quite frequent now but core is off to SE.

New Moon

Are some radio stations off the air?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Nice big clap of thunder here just now.

Edit: Thunder quite frequent now but core is off to SE.

Gone to north of me thankfully

Sky very dark looking north

• Advertisement

More flashes East and West of Galway

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Anothe flash East of Galway

It's all missing me east of Galway
    It has moved north east between us !

GIGANTIC boom of thunder to my north west
    And another
    Further away now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    Sky very dark looking north

Same sky here, except it is to my SE. Thunder seems to have eased up.

New Moon

Looking at radar I'd say it missed us by a km or so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some big Congestus producing a couple of localized showers and could see a few CB's in the distance but no sparks here in Tralee. Great cloudscapes nonetheless. Good few sferics detected around Galway, from accounts I would think there was more lightning then what is shown on the chart.

Netweather

O2hCRHo.png?1

Some big Congestus producing a couple of localized showers and could see a few CB's in the distance but no sparks here in Tralee. Great cloudscapes nonetheless. Good few sferics detected around Galway, from accounts I would think there was more lightning then what is shown on the chart.

Netweather

O2hCRHo.png?1

Tell you it was a very exciting hour and half, some great flashes loud thunder and hail beautiful here now

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

few nice flashes over Oldcastle area, Co. Meath, good view from Delvin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Very Heavy hail and rain shower just passed with lightening overhead around the cavan meath border area the ground is white with hail

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Updated chart of sferics detected today

kV1vpsc.png?1

gA8xz1R.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

That storm went almost directly overhead here, about a dozen big flashes before it moved on.
    Missed the first few but a friend said one was the biggest flash he every saw overhead.
    No hail here just very heavy rain.
    Looking at the radar it's part of the same cell that passed over galway earlier.
    Screenshot of a flash
    429306.jpg

• Advertisement

Bingo!

Great capture lolie .

Netweather

uI57akT.png?3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

Netweather

uI57akT.png?3

It kicked of just after 7o'clock here. Notice the bright echo over Oldcastle on the radar at 7.15.
    Lovely loud cracks overhead, almost impossible to not get wet trying to record it though.
    429307.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Just curious if anyone witnessed a fairly intense but short lightning storm (mostly sheet lightning) around 9.30 tonight around west cork. Four of us watched it for nearly 5 mins. We could hear very distant thunder but the sky was on fire with flashes 2 or 3a second. We didn't see any distinct lightning but the sky lighting up. Would be probably be west of Clonakilty. Nothing showing up on storm radar or blitzordnung.

Just curious if anyone witnessed a fairly intense but short lightning storm (mostly sheet lightning) around 9.30 tonight around west cork. Four of us watched it for nearly 5 mins. We could hear very distant thunder but the sky was on fire with flashes 2 or 3a second. We didn't see any distinct lightning but the sky lighting up. Would be probably be west of Clonakilty. Nothing showing up on storm radar or blitzordnung.

No lightning showing up on any of the radars as you pointed out. Rain just skirting by the coast, very little overland but some big showers off the coast all right especially around 21.00 but the set up is not very conducive for lightning tonight. Fireworks from a festival or party perhaps ?

ObCBliZ.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

do you get T&L during a hurricane??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

fryup wrote: »
    do you get T&L during a hurricane??

You can, but most of the risk tomorrow is over the Irish sea:

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2017101706_201710141859_1_extendedforecast.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thunderstorm rain in the Shannon and Cork Airport forecasts from morning to early afternoon. Albeit at a 30% prob.

Thinking there could be some sporadic thunderstorms sweeping down over the country Late Fri Night ,Early Sat Morning / Sat as the storm drags in cold air aloft over relatively warm SST's. Convergence , decent CAPE and Lapse Rates and good amounts of LLS DLS could assist in the formation of convective clouds possibly producing some thunderstorms.

5HXP3QP.png

9LaDxMS.png

• Advertisement

Sferics produced around the storm .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement