Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a weather station

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Danno wrote: »
    My understanding with this equipment: http://www.provantage.com/davis-instruments-6152c~7DAVS043.htm is that I run a cable from the site at the end of the garden to my PC over the in-house network :o

So what is this gear that I am linking to going to do for me then? Sorry if I am coming across as a total flute! - but I am a total beginner here.

This will do wind, rain, temp, humidity. Will not do solar.
    Without datalogger, if you want the data on the computer, you'll need to get Weather Display or Ambient Weather and have computer running 24/7. (Software needs a whole new thread!!)

Forget about the in house network, this will not integrate into that AFAIK. You may have to acquire extra cable for the 30m run, but its probably same as telephone cable.

BTW, sound advice from Snowbie just posted. Don't let it be an impulse purchase. Exchange rate not changing in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Too true Snowbie! Alot of the problem is I don't know what I need and I don't understand alot of the terminology of it!

I guess I just want a simple to use, good branded weather station. that can be added to later on down the road.

I think a nights sleep on it would be a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Agreed,again just reply to this thread whenever to get more info.Myself and mothman have and being using this equipment for a long time.MM has the pro set up while i have also the lightning detection equipment (if you go down these routes later)and we be able to lend a hand.

Bump! - Just PM you Snowbie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I got the Oregon one from Argos. I'm very impressed so far.

Outside temp at the moment here in Waterford city is 9.6c and humidity is 98%.

Its very wet and windy out, does that account for the high humidity rating??

It says the inside temp is 21c and humidity of 48%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Sorry for dragging this up from the depths of last week but I'm looking for some help buying a weather station.

My dad is big into shipping & really interested in the weather as a consequence. I'm looking for something in the €100-€150 range - or lower if no need to pay so much.

I suppose the main features would have to be:
    -easy to read (getting near his 60s)
    -indoor temperature
    -outdoor temperature
    -humidity
    -forecast
    -time

I can't seem to find any Irish stockists & so much info on the web is geared towards pro stations

Any help would be much appreciated!

Taco

Best bet would be to raise this thread after this weekend when the snow threat has gone. Some of the lads here can give really good advice - especially when they are not pre-occupied with the current weather! :p:D

Rightio - needing more advice again! Which one to choose!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Danno wrote: »
    Rightio - needing more advice again! Which one to choose!!!
    lol, i thought you got one in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    lol, i thought you got one in the end.

Me too :confused::)

• Advertisement

Nope, not yet. Still am unsure about what one to get!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

I'm looking at buying a Davis Vantage Vue and have a couple of questions that I'd appreciate answers to:

1. Where is the best place to buy one from? The prices from Irish vendors are ridiculous, so it will probably be a UK online store.

2. Can I log the data to a PC in realtime without buying WeatherLinkUSB or WeatherLinkIP?

3. Does the basic unit come with any software suitable for data collection to a PC and upload to a website?

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

TskTsk wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a Davis Vantage Vue and have a couple of questions that I'd appreciate answers to:

1. Where is the best place to buy one from? The prices from Irish vendors are ridiculous, so it will probably be a UK online store.

US can be even cheaper again but make sure you allow for Customs. and there is a small issue with Radio frequency. e.g. http://www.weathervue.com/servlet/the-11/6250-Davis-Vantage-Vue/Detail after you enter discount on checkout its about $260 I think
    2. Can I log the data to a PC in realtime without buying WeatherLinkUSB or WeatherLinkIP?
    I don't believe so, the USB option is much cheaper.
    3. Does the basic unit come with any software suitable for data collection to a PC and upload to a website?

Thanks folks.

You need the Data logger to be able to collect data and you get Davis Weatherlink software with the logger.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Villain wrote: »
    http://www.weathervue.com/servlet/the-11/6250-Davis-Vantage-Vue/Detail after you enter discount on checkout its about $260 I think

$170 for delivery, the robbers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

taconnol wrote: »
    I can't seem to find any Irish stockists & so much info on the web is geared towards pro stations
    Taco

Hurry, right NOW. Maplin have their annual summer stock only of weather stations.

A bit pricey compared Germany, €190 for the WH1081 against Wimo's price of €103 but plus shipping.

They have a few right now, and a good one was €160 but I went for the other one.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223254

this should show the one I bought for €200 in Maplin, Cork plus a bag of ready mix cement and a scaffold pole to mount it on.

OOOOps only realised the date of posting now. MY post accurate only for July 2010 **** ;)

$170 for delivery, the robbers :)

The US has gone BANANAS for shipping.

Look up Wimo in Germany. http://www.wimo.de/

gbee wrote: »
    Hurry, right NOW. Maplin have their annual summer stock only of weather stations.

A bit pricey compared Germany, €190 for the WH1081 against Wimo's price of €103 but plus shipping.

They have a few right now, and a good one was €160 but I went for the other one.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223254

this should show the one I bought for €200 in Maplin, Cork plus a bag of ready mix cement and a scaffold pole to mount it on.

OOOOps only realised the date of posting now. MY post accurate only for July 2010 **** ;)

I recently bought the WH1090* (newer version) for €90 in Dublin from this crowd.

*A bit cheap and nasty, but it does the job! Just be sure to fit the temperature sensor into a proper shelter - mine reads high when the sun is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nanotriffid

I recently bought the WH1090* (newer version) for €90 in Dublin from this crowd.

*A bit cheap and nasty, but it does the job! Just be sure to fit the temperature sensor into a proper shelter - mine reads high when the sun is out.

Happen to know the guys that run this company (PJ Boner Insturmentation and Calibrations) and they do aim to please. Worthwhile having a chat with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

So excited, my hubby just bought me one of the weather stations from Maplin!! Now I'll have something to keep me occupied for the winter and won't be suffering from station envy... :) hurry up postman!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

eskimocat wrote: »
    So excited, my hubby just bought me one of the weather stations from Maplin!! Now I'll have something to keep me occupied for the winter and won't be suffering from station envy... :) hurry up postman!! :D:D

Congrats!!
    It's a decent enough station and reasonably easy to set up. I've been running the same one for a while now so if you have any probs let me know because the manual isn't great.

These might be of some use in positioning the sensors especially page 30-1 of the second attachment.
    Good luck & enjoy :D

• Advertisement

Fionagus wrote: »
    Congrats!!
    It's a decent enough station and reasonably easy to set up. I've been running the same one for a while now so if you have any probs let me know because the manual isn't great.

These might be of some use in positioning the sensors especially page 30-1 of the second attachment.
    Good luck & enjoy :D

Thanks a million, thats great. that was my only worry, as not the greatest technical genius!!! So excited, it will
    hopefully save on the midnight dashes to the side of the shed to peer at thermometer with a torch!!!!:D

By the way, still waiting on the postman! will be waiting like ninja at front door tomorrow!:D Thanks again, this thread was great help. I'll let you know how things progress when the most precious of all the boxes arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Best of luck with it and enjoy :)

IT (My weather station :D) ARRIVED --- oh the joy of it. Now need to get some batteries, and a compass. Having a conflab with neighbour about the ideal location for the setup. He's concerned about stray footballs from his side of the fence!

Interesting day ahead tomorrow, my hubband helping! lol;)

Interesting day ahead tomorrow, my hubband helping! lol;)

Oh! Don't let him help, he'll only take over .... at least that's what my wife says and is the reason she won't ask me to help anymore!

Get him to dig the hole for the pole, mix the ready mix and plant it. :)

Well the new station is up and running!!! all i need now is a good dose of weather, lol Everything very calm here at present.

The station is quite easy to set up and I love the computerised program for recording all the stuff! I really don't live in the ideal location for having a station but one does what one can... ;)

Thanks for all who posted here, it was a real help in choosing my very first weather station!!! and thanks to Fionangus for the links, they were very helpful.

Well the new station is up and running!!!
    Excellent news!!
    Here's hoping you get some 'fierce weather' to christen it very soon :)

Fionagus wrote: »
    Excellent news!!
    Here's hoping you get some 'fierce weather' to christen it very soon :)

Yup, she should wash her hair, at least every-time my wife does it rains ... :)

Mid week may be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Hello, am just wondering which weather station you guys would recommend for building a weather website around?

I guess it would need to be quite accurate and also update itself frequently. Would also obviously need an interface for the PC and some sort of logger and monitoring software. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

IMC042 wrote: »
    Hello, am just wondering which weather station you guys would recommend for building a weather website around?

I guess it would need to be quite accurate and also update itself frequently. Would also obviously need an interface for the PC and some sort of logger and monitoring software. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm using a Fine Offset WH1080 from Maplin and running Cumulus software. It's a relatively cheap and cheerful option with a number of known issues, specifically an inadequate solar shield and a temperamental wind vane. However, with a bit of patience these can be overcome - eventually :rolleyes:.
    Some of the others on the forum are running much more salubrious equipment and maybe they can give you some advice on those.

Whether or which, there's lots of really useful information on setting up your own weather website here and the forum is also a mine of information regarding chosing and running a weather station.
    Good luck!!

Advertisement