Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT swiss QR "new type" ?

Options
  • 18-06-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

just fitted a new front wheel, its a DT swiss P1800 rim brake model.

the QR had me flummoxed for a bit...
    the handle isn't the normal type its static (ish)? doesn't bend out to be parallel to the skewer axel . its used as a handle to tighten in the normal way like a nut "righty tighty" then when everythings tightened up you press the end , it releases the handle a bit to allow you to reposition the handle to a more aesthetically pleasing position

( this is prob a terrible description:p)

is this what thru axel QR are like ??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Those DT Swiss skewers have been around for a while, I first encountered them when they came fitted on the DT Swiss wheels of my wife's bike back in 2012, they may well have existed since long before then.

I'm not a fan of them, I much prefer the conventional locking mechanism of skewer handles that you fold in. For one thing, with conventional skewers I know what feels "tight enough" but the DT Swiss locking mechanism is so different that there is a bit of a (small) learning curve there. That could mean not tightening them enough initially, and having the wheel move, or perhaps worse, tightening them too much and making for a tough job for someone with less gorilla-like hands to undo the wheel at the side of the road to repair a puncture.

I also found the DT Swiss ones a bit fiddly, they tended to catch on the cowled rear dropouts of my wife's frame when rotating the handle, which meant remembering to pull the handle out to reposition it before rotating it again. A small gripe, but one of several small gripes (another of which is the rotating motion being more inclined to scrape paint off the dropout) which added up to making them something I've avoided over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭devonp

photos!

that would take me an age to get posted...

also i could just use the old fashioned skewer from the old wheel (its a DT swiss R23 spline )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If they're the ones, I'm thinking about, they've been around since 2009 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

devonp wrote: »
    that would take me an age to get posted...

also i could just use the old fashioned skewer from the old wheel (its a DT swiss R23 spline )

Off topic but what was your opinion of the R23 spline wheelset? Just got a used set and wondering about the 20 spoke front on roughish roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah thats it..but mine doesn't have the nice red colour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Have these on my winter bike they break my heart....

MichealD wrote: »
    Off topic but what was your opinion of the R23 spline wheelset? Just got a used set and wondering about the 20 spoke front on roughish roads.

they are brilliant, did all my Audaxing on them over 3-4 yrs(a single set) ..and that included many bad bad roads in winter, only changed due to worn rims (prob from the above)

i presume yours have decent amounts of braking surface left

btw they are also tubeless compatible(i didn't), think you need special rim tape , valves etc

good luck

Have these on my winter bike they break my heart....

now i think i'll defo put the old skewers on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

now i think i'll defo put the old skewers on :)

Down to human error but ive had them come loose when not properly secured..
    Did the first 60km of the Evil 2018 before I copped the back wheel was loose..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

they are brilliant, did all my Audaxing on them over 3-4 yrs(a single set) ..and that included many bad bad roads in winter, only changed due to worn rims (prob from the above)

i presume yours have decent amounts of braking surface left

btw they are also tubeless compatible(i didn't), think you need special rim tape , valves etc

good luck

Thanks devonp. Yeah, little used so rims good and running true. Sticking to tubes. The silent freewheel seems strange compared to my ksyriums!

Advertisement