Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's road bike 1500-1800e

Options
  • 18-06-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

Me Mam's in need of a new bike and came to me for recommandations but alas I've no idea what's out there in terms of women's road bikes so hopefully yee can advise.

She's upgrading from a giant SCR road bike that she's had about 10 years. Does a 20km each way commute 3 to 5 times a week.
    She wants another drop bar road bike, an audax type thing with space for mudguards and ideally braze-ons for a rack would be ideal. Not a race machine with super agressive geometry either.

Budget is about 1500e but she could push it up to 1800e.
    As for looks a slick looking steel frame would be preferential if anything like that exists in women's geometry within budget. She's not a fan of really modern looking Aero carbon frames (though wouldn't object to a carbon frame so long as it's not gaudy).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a croix de fer 20 is about the right budget (though genesis bikes are not cheap for what you get); i think the frames are unisex:

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/croix-de-fer-20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Kona might be worth looking at though can be pricey. This one seems to meet the requirements though I wouldnt be happy with colour, groupo and saddle.

https://www.cyclestore.ie/kona_sutra_road_bike_2019-ID_75496

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Humphries in Finglas should have some Aravis Steel frames and can easily build one up for that budget I'd say. They are basically Hewitt Cheviots/Chilterns. One is touring oriented and one Audax. No gender specific geometry, but I have one of the touring frames, and even though it's a tad too small, and I wrecked the forks courtesy of a Qashqai, it's a superbly comfortable bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I think the Croix de fer and Kona Sutra might be a little over built and heavy for her tastes. No need for all road capacity or mountain bike gearing here and biggest tyres she'll be using are 25's - maybe 28's.

I was looking at the Genesis equilibrium which while female specific is at least available in extra small, not super heavy, appropriate style and (I think) capacity for a light pannier and mudguards.
    https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/equilibrium-2020

A little concerned that some of the components (brakes, headset for example) might be a little bargain basement though.

Ribble brought out some steel bikes that are very similar to the Genesis range

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-725-shimano-105/#HOWTOBUY

The Tiagra version is €1000, the 105 €1200

• Advertisement

Yeah I like ribble, their only women's specific frames (sportive carbon) appear to be out of stock in my Mam's size though.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Ribble brought out some steel bikes that are very similar to the Genesis range

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-725-shimano-105/#HOWTOBUY

The Tiagra version is €1000, the 105 €1200

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was looking at the Genesis equilibrium which while female specific is at least available in extra small, not super heavy, appropriate style and (I think) capacity for a light pannier and mudguards.
    https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/equilibrium-2020

A little concerned that some of the components (brakes, headset for example) might be a little bargain basement though.
    yeah, as mentioned, genesis are overpriced for the finishing kit you get. i have two (secondhand) equilibriums and i love them, but would be slow to buy one new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Are you open to online options or using bike to work scheme?

jon1981 wrote: »
    Are you open to online options or using bike to work scheme?

Either or, would possibly even consider just buying a frameset and build it up myself though ideally want to avoid that hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Is she into retro steel bikes. Some come up on ebay frequently enough and you can get Reynolds 531 steel frame bikes. Not going to be as light as carbon by any means but possibly light enough

483029.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Comma

Either or, would possibly even consider just buying a frameset and build it up myself though ideally want to avoid that hassle.

The equilibrium is a nice comfortable bike. I built one up with Shimano 105, Tryp long drop brakes and Flinger full mudguards. I had a set of Bontrager wheels which I put on it. With a saddle bag and pump but no carrier, it weighs in around 10.8kg. I use it as a winter bike. Size wise, a 50cm is equivalent to small in a womans Giant bike. I'm 5'5" and a woman.
    You might get value in that size frame or a smaller frame if you root around online.
    Your mam is a lucky woman to have a son interested in sorting out a nice bike for her!

hesker wrote: »
    Is she into retro steel bikes. Some come up on ebay frequently enough and you can get Reynolds 531 steel frame bikes. Not going to be as light as carbon by any means but possibly light enough

I was passed by a lady today on what I would wager is the same or similar peugeot frame but in a coffee/cream colour and drops with modern leavers and groupset, tan wall tyres. Looked stunning and new. Googled when I went home and it only turned up that old frame. Chapeau to her or who ever built it up as it was a beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I was passed by a lady today on what I would wager is the same or similar peugeot frame but in a coffee/cream colour and drops with modern leavers and groupset, tan wall tyres. Looked stunning and new. Googled when I went home and it only turned up that old frame. Chapeau to her or who ever built it up as it was a beauty.

Peugeot offered these bikes over a number of years, complete with mudguards and front rack. The higher end ones sell for similar money as the lower end ones due mostly to some sellers thinking they have something more valuable than they do or trying to take advantage.

The higher end ones make for very nice commuters as they have a high end steel frame together with alloy chainset, wheels, hubs and bars.

But even some of the heavier old french bikes make fantastic town bikes. I don’t want to spam the ops thread with photos of old bikes but I think this bike currently on offer for about €250 would make a great bike for trips to the shops or leisurely spins for those not fixated on strava and PBs.

483096.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

5'4 woman and don't own a women's specific bike, no need as the only difference is usually contact points which you're not guaranteed to like anyway.

Genesis Equilibirum is on sale at Bike Tart. I've bought a frame from them and it came in quick enough time

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/road-bikes-c35/genesis-equilibrium-20-2018-p43642

for €100 more, they have the equilibrium disc 20 2017 in XS only. that hasfull hydraulic discs and fulcrum wheels, so is better specced.
    i ride a 52cm genesis equilibrium, and am 5'7" ish. i think the 52cm corresponds to small on their newer sizing.

Advertisement