Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Prison Service Recruitment 2017

Options
  • 18-10-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Just a quick post surrounding the latest recruitment campaign for NIPS, have been successful so far and recently completed my medical, just wanted to check if anyone else here has applied? Would be good to hear what stage everyone else is at.
    Cheers, 
    Smurf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

Hi smurf have you done your interview? Was I talking to you on another thread I can't remember lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Smurfmaster1

Hey Sparky, yeah I'm just waiting for a start date now really. Tried to reply to your private message there but the server keeps timing out!

Hey Sparky, yeah I'm just waiting for a start date now really. Tried to reply to your private message there but the server keeps timing out!

Lol I got it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Just found this, I got an email after sitting the exams few months ago and got told I had failed, I accepted it and moved on. Forgot all about it and then on Wed I received an email saying I have an interview lol. Is that normal that they work their way down the list? I was in the 80% for the maths but my English was down around 60% I think, that long ago now I can't remember exactly as I just deleted all the emails after the rejection email.

NiK9 wrote: »
    Just found this, I got an email after sitting the exams few months ago and got told I had failed, I accepted it and moved on. Forgot all about it and then on Wed I received an email saying I have an interview lol. Is that normal that they work their way down the list? I was in the 80% for the maths but my English was down around 60% I think, that long ago now I can't remember exactly as I just deleted all the emails after the rejection email.

Im in the same boat as yiu got the invite for interview last week as well!

• Advertisement

NiK9 wrote: »

Im in the same boat as yiu got the invite for interview last week as well!

Has anybody else heard anything more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Wannabe123

Hi there, I too received an email in October inviting me for an interview. My email after the initial tests informed me I wasn’t getting through, much similar to yours.
    Just waiting on medical and CTC checks etc.
    A bit panicked about the medical though. I had a period of depression about 4/5 years ago when I was a teenager but I’ve been treatment and symptom free for about 3 and a half years now. Fingers crossed this isn’t an immediate bar to entry!

Wannabe123 wrote: »
    Hi there, I too received an email in October inviting me for an interview. My email after the initial tests informed me I wasn’t getting through, much similar to yours.
    A bit panicked about the medical though. I had a period of depression about 4/5 years ago when I was a teenager but I’ve been treatment and symptom free for about 3 and a half years now. Fingers crossed this isn’t an immediate bar to entry!

All the best for getting in! I think you shoud be ok its been a good few years in the clear, hopefully it will all work out for you

All the best for getting in! I think you shoud be ok its been a good few years in the clear, hopefully it will all work out for you

Thanks! You too. Keep us updated if you hear anything.
    As far as I’m aware it’s just the MOD and PSNI who it’s down to now with regard to getting the checks back.

Have you heard any whispers of when they’re hoping for training to start?

• Advertisement

Thanks! You too. Keep us updated if you hear anything.
    As far as I’m aware it’s just the MOD and PSNI who it’s down to now with regard to getting the checks back.

Have you heard any whispers of when they’re hoping for training to start?

Awww right the checks can take quite a while to complete from what ive heard! I havent heard anything But im not expecting to I wasnt successful at the interview! Just wasnt ment to be!

Ah, I’m sorry to hear that!
    Did they say what you failed on or anything?
    I wouldn’t give up hope completely judging by what a lot of us heard after the tests. “You failed” followed by “you have an interview” lol
    Have you also went for PSNI? (Apologies if this is irrelevant for this thread)

Ah, I’m sorry to hear that!
    Did they say what you failed on or anything?
    I wouldn’t give up hope completely judging by what a lot of us heard after the tests. “You failed” followed by “you have an interview” lol
    Have you also went for PSNI? (Apologies if this is irrelevant for this thread)

No they dint but I know what I failed on I was caught out with a question and had to think of something on the spot abd had no time to think of a decent answer lol, aww yea I got that as well after the initial ist! Yea I went for psni and airport police so something might come out of that! I would rather have psni over the nips anyway. Did you apply for psni too?

Nothing worse than being caught off guard lol
    Yes I’ve went for it too, just in case something goes wrong at my medical.
    But I’d take whatever I get first!
    I’ve got mates in both services and both have their pro’s and con’s.
    If you’re not already, I’d recommend getting on the PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign thread. Plenty of folk on it!

Nothing worse than being caught off guard lol
    Yes I’ve went for it too, just in case something goes wrong at my medical.
    But I’d take whatever I get first!
    I’ve got mates in both services and both have their pro’s and con’s.
    If you’re not already, I’d recommend getting on the PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign thread. Plenty of folk on it!

Lol awww ano but the interview was good experience and il know what to expect if there is a next time lol

Aww yea might as well keep your options open, yea there is no perfect job like but I think psni would suit my personality better!

Yea im on it thanks these boards are class some great info on it!

Anybody got word yet?
    Still waiting on my medical date and checks to come back.
    Lengthy process from what I hear

Yeah my clearance took 12 weeks even after having pre clearance from a previous job. The prison service pay extra to speed it up but it still takes a long time. They are under pressure at the moment to get as many through the college as possible, with quite a few leaving from classes so far. I know from speaking to colleagues that about 70% of current students have applications in for the PSNI too, so could be a huge drop out rate over the next few months.
    It's best not to get too worried about timescales, civil service is slow at everything, especially recruitment!

Yeah my clearance took 12 weeks even after having pre clearance from a previous job. The prison service pay extra to speed it up but it still takes a long time. They are under pressure at the moment to get as many through the college as possible, with quite a few leaving from classes so far. I know from speaking to colleagues that about 70% of current students have applications in for the PSNI too, so could be a huge drop out rate over the next few months.
    It's best not to get too worried about timescales, civil service is slow at everything, especially recruitment!

Brilliant, thanks a million!
    Are you a current student at the college now or are you still waiting to start training?

Current student but can't go into specific details for obvious reasons. Training is really good and tutors are fantastic. It's a long process but if you stick with it everything seems to happen at once. I got my contract, medical results and start date all within 24 hours after waiting for what seemed like forever - when things move they move, just a shame it takes so long before it kick starts!

Current student but can't go into specific details for obvious reasons. Training is really good and tutors are fantastic. It's a long process but if you stick with it everything seems to happen at once. I got my contract, medical results and start date all within 24 hours after waiting for what seemed like forever - when things move they move, just a shame it takes so long before it kick starts!

Brilliant, well done to you!
    Yes I’ve noticed that when you’ve completed one thing, everything else comes in rather quickly!
    My only concern is the medical, the period of depression back when I was a teenager. An officer I know said don’t worry about it at all so fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Got my medical date!

Brilliant, well done to you!
    Yes I’ve noticed that when you’ve completed one thing, everything else comes in rather quickly!
    My only concern is the medical, the period of depression back when I was a teenager. An officer I know said don’t worry about it at all so fingers crossed!

Just be upfront about it when you're going through your medical. I can't see it being a problem, especially as it is some years in the past. Worst thing would be to try and hide it as one of the core values of the Prison Service is integrity. I'm sure you will be fine though!

Quick update, passed my medical!! Over the moon. Now the waiting game :)

Got my start date! Never been happier. Exciting times ahead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Guys just posting to ask a few Qs.

I have had my heart set on PSNI for a long long time but have kicked myself for not applying to NIPS, have applied for YJA in the past and got binned for silly mistakes in the application.

I may apply for the next recruitment competion for NIPS, currently serving silly servant so pension pot will stay put ðŸ˜

When it comes to job location can you be sent to any prison?

Maghaberry/Hydebank are no bother to me but Magilligan would be a horrendous drive not to mention a little unsafe reference driving tired.

And if you are voluntold a prison far away would they give you more compressed hours? I.e. do your conditioned hours over less time?

Rumour has it they’ll be recruiting again soon. I finished training a couple of months ago.
    You’ll be put to Maghaberry or Hydebank don’t worry. Magilligan is out of the question.

Rumour has it they’ll be recruiting again soon. I finished training a couple of months ago.
    You’ll be put to Maghaberry or Hydebank don’t worry. Magilligan is out of the question.

Aye I hear that list is being actioned as we speak

Are you a CPO or an NCO?

There’s a few who’s been on the list a while getting their chance to move supposedly. Either way, new recruits won’t be sent there.
    I’m a CPO, so a normal Officer. PCO is Courts/Transport otherwise known as PECCS and NCO is nights as I’m sure you know. CPO is the one most go for. It’s the one you’d likely see on TV lol

• Advertisement

There’s a few who’s been on the list a while getting their chance to move supposedly. Either way, new recruits won’t be sent there.
    I’m a CPO, so a normal Officer. PCO is Courts/Transport otherwise known as PECCS and NCO is nights as I’m sure you know. CPO is the one most go for. It’s the one you’d likely see on TV lol

I'd do nights for the money 😂😂 and the fact that I'm a night worker by nature. Guessingby the fact that the old CIB states 12 hr shifts over a 44 hr working week the NCOs are 4 on 4 off?

Advertisement