Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Fitness test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Carroller wrote: »
    Does anyone have any clarification on what way the bleep test will work. Does it go to .9 before hitting the next level or is the max .7? If you know what I mean...

There has been no confirmation on the version of the test being used.

Confusing things is that the Garda website refers to it as the "Loughborough 2O MST" test. From what I've read this is a very different test to the usual beep test. Not harder, just different.

I'm not worrying about it. I'm not a fast runner but I'll be doing fartlak training to up my endurance at speed. If you have average fitness you should be grand. It sounds like a most people on here are involved in sports and train regularly, they will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

FAQs
    Careers
    What are the physical requirements?
    The Physical Assessment is comprised of a Physical Competency Test (PCT) and a Physical Fitness Test. All elements of the Physical Assessment must be passed at the pre-entry level.

The PCT is a test of job-related physical fitness. It consists of an obstacle course followed by a push and pull test. Students must pass the PCT at pre-entry to be admitted to Phase 1 of training.

The Obstacle Course

Students are required to complete 3 laps within 3 minutes 20 seconds. The course involves sprinting, sharp changes in direction, running under barriers, over gates, up and down stairs, over a jump, carrying a weight a prescribed distance by pulling a mannequin along the ground. Gardaí are often required to perform one or more of the above in their day-to-day duties.

The Push and Pull

The push and pull test is carried out on an isokinetic machine and is designed to mimic an adult wrestling (pushing and pulling) at the lapel height of a 5 foot 7 inch male. In order to pass this test one must produce an average force of 25 kg over a 20 second period. However if one scores 3 minutes on the obstacle course a force of 22.5 kg is considered a pass on the push and pull test.

Physical Fitness Test (20m Shuttle Test and Muscular Endurance Test)

20M shuttle test /The Bleep Test

This multistage fitness test, also known as the 20 meter shuttle test (Loughborough 2O MST) is now a very common test of aerobic fitness. The test involves continuous running between two lines, 20 meters apart in time to recorded beeps. This time beeps decreases every minute. The initial running velocity is 8.5 km/hr, which increases one km/hr every minute. The athletes score is the level and the numbers of shuttles recorded before they are unable to keep up with the tape recording. This can be converted to a VO2 max score. Males should achieve 8 shuttles at level 8 (corresponding to a VO2 max of 42.4 ml/kg/min) and females should achieve 6 shuttles at level 7 (corresponding to a VO2 max score of 38.5 mI/kg/mm).

Minimum Standards for the Shuttle Test

Females
    18-25yrs
    Level 8.7
    Level 7.5
    26-35yrs
    Level 8.1
    Level 6.6

Muscular Endurance Test

Sit up and Press Ups

Both tests measure muscular endurance i.e. the ability to perform many repetitions of the same exercise. They are widely used as measures of muscular endurance. The press-up measures mostly upper body muscular strength as well as the strength of the core of the body. The sit-up measures muscular endurance in the abdominal muscles. Males must perform 35 sit-ups in a minute and must perform 25 press-ups (no time limit). Females must perform 30 sit-ups in a minute and must perform 20 press-ups (no time limit).

Fitness Assessment Minimum Standards

Minimum Standards for the ‘Sit Up’ Test (one minute)

Females
    18-25yrs
    26-35yrs

Minimum Standards for the Press Up Test (no time restriction)

Females
    18-25yrs
    26-35yrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

why timed for sit-ups and not timed for push-ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

carzony wrote: »

odd one

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

I'd imagine while doing push ups it's hard to stay in a relaxed or resting position. The weight on your arms is constant.

While doing sit ups it be easy to lay down for 10 seconds between each sit up if there was no time limit. Just a guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

newmug wrote: »
    25 press-ups, no problem. 35 sit-ups in 37 seconds, no problem. Bleep test.......... 3.2!!! I just hope I get taken in in the second intake so I can work on that feckin bleep test!

I was the same the first time I did it I got to 3.2 the 2nd time I got to 5.0 the 3rd time I got to 6.0. Iv been spinning as well and you would be surprised how quick your fitness would improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

r_k.com wrote: »
    I was the same the first time I did it I got to 3.2 the 2nd time I got to 5.0 the 3rd time I got to 6.0. Iv been spinning as well and you would be surprised how quick your fitness would improve

Are you doing it on the treadmill or for real? I need to make a start on it asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

That's encouraging! I'm absolutely fine strength wise but running is a completely foreign thing to me, so nervous for it. I hope the people saying the bleep test isn't in are right!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

The thing im a little worried about is the order of running. If you do the obstacle course first it'll effect the score in beep test and vice versa!!

• Advertisement

Zadie10 wrote: »
    Are you doing it on the treadmill or for real? I need to make a start on it asap!

No for real the treadmill would be useless because it's the turns and the sharp increases in velocity that would tire you out completely.

The thing im a little worried about is the order of running. If you do the obstacle course first it'll effect the score in beep test and vice versa!!

I know, I haven't even thought about the obstacle course yet!
    The "open day" is just to see what's expected of us? Any guesses when the actually tests will begin? Medical first or fitness first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Great day to be training lads!

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Great day to be training lads!

Just in from my run. The heat is a killer when your not used to it. I'm hoping that's why I only got to 5.5 on my bleep :/

Just in from my run. The heat is a killer when your not used to it. I'm hoping that's why I only got to 5.5 on my bleep :/

Ill report back how i go

heat isnt an irishmans friend!

Ill report back how i go

heat isnt an irishmans friend!

Keep her lit lads - your basically over every hurdle and your literally going to run through the college doors!

the home straight is ahead

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Jealous of everyone getting out for a run. Stuck in the gym working, training during my break.
    Almost there.

Anyone any ideas on when the actual tests will start? Im at the open day thurs and due to fly out friday-monday/tuesday... Not sure if i should park the weekend away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I'd imagine the medicals and fitness tests will start the week after next. Medical first, then fitness would make more sense from a legal/health and safety perspective. Will probably take about 2 weeks to get them all done. I'd say you're safe enough to head off for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

The lady from post interview said she believe the incline in the beep test was a typo and should just be the .5 she had written a letter to get clarification!! I think she worked in vetting in thurles!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

timmy99 wrote: »
    she had written a letter to get clarification!! I think she worked in vetting in thurles!!

lads, do you think any kind of background check was done before the interview then?

• Advertisement

lads, do you think any kind of background check was done before the interview then?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

Will the beep test be done in groups?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

timmy99 wrote: »
    The lady from post interview said she believe the incline in the beep test was a typo and should just be the .5 she had written a letter to get clarification!! I think she worked in vetting in thurles!!

You are correct sir. the test is as follows:

initial velocity: 8.5 km per/hr

increase to 9.5 km per/hr after 1 minute

and further increase of .5 km per/hr every minute after

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

If the 25 press ups have no time limit, does that mean that they don't have to be done in immediate succession? As in, can you just do 10, 10, 5. Does anyone know?

20times wrote: »
    If the 25 press ups have no time limit, does that mean that they don't have to be done in immediate succession? As in, can you just do 10, 10, 5. Does anyone know?

I wouldn't leave it to chance. 25 pressups is easily achieveable. Search for a 100 press up challenge and do the training. You'll be doing 25 in one go by next week.

almeraguy wrote: »
    I wouldn't leave it to chance. 25 pressups is easily achieveable. Search for a 100 press up challenge and do the training. You'll be doing 25 in one go by next week.

Cheers, will do. That's the only part of the test that Im a bit concerned about really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Any tips for the sit ups folks, struggling to hit the target number

Are you doing them with something holding your feet in place? In the video for the pct, it shows someone holding your feet in place which makes it a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Are you doing them with something holding your feet in place? In the video for the pct, it shows someone holding your feet in place which makes it a lot easier.

Yeah couldn't do any if that was the case!!!!

Yeah couldn't do any if that was the case!!!!

Ok, I suppose all you can do is keep practicing. Maybe try doing 10 in 15 seconds or less and then doing repetitions of that to try improve your speed at them? And then try building up to more.

• Advertisement

Cheers, will do. That's the only part of the test that Im a bit concerned about really.

If that's your only worry then you'll be grand. Follow the training and you'll see improvements in no time. Eat plenty protein too.

Find a training program and follow it. Training and healthy eating will get you there.

almeraguy wrote: »
    If that's your only worry then you'll be grand. Follow the training and you'll see improvements in no time. Eat plenty protein too.

Cheers, yeah Ive a high protein diet the last few months anyway. I think that's my only real worry anyway, will probably have more worries after the open day! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

You'll get better at the sit-ups faster if you don't keep trying to just do a certain amount or try to do them fast.
    Do them as if you were doing weights.
    Do as many as you physically can at a slow steady pace, then take a rest of a couple of minutes and do as many as you possibly can again. Do maybe 3 sets.
    Your abs will probably be hurting the next day but just keep doing it.

In relation to the push-ups, when I did the physical for the army there was no time limit either. You couldn't just stop though and then get back down and continue. You could stay in a rest position after doing a couple and then continue.
    The rest position is basically arching your extending your arms to take the pressure off your chest.

Ah now cmon!

Ah now cmon!

Haha, just said Id ask if anyone knew 'cause it's the part I'm struggling with! Plus I've an old injury that isn't helping my cause in that regard!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Ah now cmon!
    C'mere, not everyone is in the know like yourself Wilco, it was a legitimate question. Replies like that will only put people off asking questions, which shouldn't be the case. Everyone has different concerns and should be able to voice them without getting sarcastic comments back. All I am saying is show a small bit of respect.

Some serious hand holding going to be needed in the college by the looks of it - you lookin for some employment mickaleen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

If you've nothing constructive to add, don't post

Move on please

KERSPLAT!!

• Advertisement

Its a regular occurrence - people expecting everything to be the easy way

We had a female who REFUSED to do pushups as it will 'tighten my womb' and it was a 'disgrace to expect a lady to have her face in the dirt'

:rolleyes:

Back from Specsavers!

Eye test €15 - perfect vision
    Hearing test FREE - Perfect hearing

Come on medical, lets have you haha :)

Shifty13 wrote: »
    Back from Specsavers!

Congrats! I passed the eye test myself 6 weeks ago in the opticians, but Im fairly close to the minimum standard so a bit anxious about the medical. Hopefully be fine, if not then laser it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Back from Specsavers!

When you say perfect hearing, do you mean you heard at 0 decibels or lower at every frequency in each ear?

Rothmans wrote: »
    When you say perfect hearing, do you mean you heard at 0 decibels or lower at every frequency in each ear?

Normal hearing is between -10 and 20 db.

They play different tones at different frequencies and i managed to get all of them.

Takes 3 minutes in specsavers and its free. drop in!

Normal hearing is between -10 and 20 db.

They play different tones at different frequencies and i managed to get all of them.

Takes 3 minutes in specsavers and its free. drop in!

I'm actually scheduled for an appoinment tomorrow. The gardai don't release their standards for the medical which is a shame as I won't know what standard I need to meet. I know for the british army and psni they are fairly lenient in that they accept H2 hearing. However, for the garda medical it just gives a very vague 'defective hearing' not acceptable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 TurnerDHR

I'm actually scheduled for an appoinment tomorrow. The gardai don't release their standards for the medical which is a shame as I won't know what standard I need to meet. I know for the british army and psni they are fairly lenient in that they accept H2 hearing. However, for the garda medical it just gives a very vague 'defective hearing' not acceptable!

When I did my hearing test the graph I was shown was very close to ''0'' for all the frequencies with a few above and below. She said anything above ''20'' indicates your hearing starting to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have been reading this forum with interest. seriously most of these tests sound relatively easy for someone of moderate fitness and i smoke.....:p

TurnerDHR wrote: »
    When I did my hearing test the graph I was shown was very close to ''0'' for all the frequencies with a few above and below. She said anything above ''20'' indicates your hearing starting to go

Just went in for a full checkup at my doctor's. Turns out my doctor used to do medicals for the army. Told me I should fly it, which is really good to know before going into it :)

Out of interest. Did anyone have a go on the push-pull machine at the information day in Templemore?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TurnerDHR

Out of interest. Did anyone have a go on the push-pull machine at the information day in Templemore?

There was a few in my group. Looks fine, just make sure you push and pull it enough to make it 'beep'

Average 25kg output over 20 seconds I think

• Advertisement
Advertisement