Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 5v Saorview HDMI tuner (if it exists)

Options
  • 17-06-2019 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hey all. Very specific request here. Does there exist such a thing as a Saorview HDMI stick, such as the Amazon Fire stick or Chromecast, powered by 5v or max 12v.
    It's intended for a flip down screen in a camper. Failing the above, has anybody any recommendations for compact tuners running on 12v.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Closest I recall is an Android box with a DVB-T/2 tuner.
    It used Kodi as an interface for selecting the channels to be watched.

These are powered by 12V, and have a full range of apps but most of those apps depend on internet access.

It might be useful for in house use when not being used in the camper.

There are several examples of such boxes available, costing from €40 and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A lot of the set top boxes have either 5 or 12V input, presumably to reduce cost and dimensions of the box.

Here's one with Scart and HDMI and a 5V input...

https://www.freetv.ie/digital-tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

There are tiny boxes (cigeratte box size) that take 5v 1/2amps. You could then use a (USB to DC jack cable) to power off a USB source or cigarette lighter.

Key is finding ones that have the requisite power output port.

https://www.freetv.ie/dvb-t2-receiver/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

99% sure that is the same as this one...
    https://www.freetv.ie/digital-tv/
    ...which is 10euro cheaper. Both have "Triton T2" on the right side of the front panel, so they must be the same box.

Contents also same for both...
    Edision DVB-T2 Receiver
    Remote Control & Batteries (2x AAA)
    Power Adapter: 5v ~ 1.5a
    User Manual in English

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@ Ten Pin You are probably correct.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    @ Ten Pin You are probably correct.

If they are the same device then Freetv have stuffed up, as the two items have different codes on their system

CODE: 14E_TVS_T2 €49
    CODE: 10B_TVS_T2 €40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

raspberry pi and a usb DVB-T tuner. Powers off USB @ 1.5amps.

Install libreelec (or whatever native Kodi flavour is the current darling... Johnboy??)

Get tvheadend running and ... done.

raspberry pi and a usb DVB-T tuner. Powers off USB @ 1.5amps.

Install libreelec (or whatever native Kodi flavour is the current darling... Johnboy??)

Get tvheadend running and ... done.

For AMLogic devices CoreElec using 3 series kernel I think. 5 series kernels are in development but a long way off due to a lot of things.
    R-Pi, including R-Pi 4, probably LibreElec or one of the several other Linux offerings.
    I do not track OSMC so no idea there.

Odroid N2 seems to be the new darling of CE ...... very good spec using the S922x CPU, and Beelink have a competitor just released I believe ..... but unsure about quality there yet.
    No doubt there will be a lot released during this year with that CPU and I expect prices to fall as a consequence.

For the moment they are too pricey for me for what I need.
    I do not need 4k 60fps, or HDR etc etc, so the cheaper older gear is sufficient here.

I am no longer a fan of the R-Pi due to price when fully kitted ... and even then no display or remote control with it.
    Also the R-Pi 4 cannot hardware decode MPEG2 or VC1, by design.
    It being susceptible to overheating when pushed, it would likely require a heatsink added and maybe fan (according to some).
    By the time it is fully fitted it would be in the same price category as the N2.

My old Tanix Tx3 minis continue to work away here without bother so no need to change them yet.
    One is working extremely well as tvheadend server for live TV and stored media. I use Kodi exclusively as front end which makes it so much easier to manage or advise should problems arise.

It is nice to be able to view TV on tablet or laptop without further effort, and watch from remote places when I travel (rare these days).

This got too long ......

Advertisement