Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Route Advice

Options
  • 16-06-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have bought a bike through the bike to work scheme and am looking for advice on route to take. I'm going to be cycling from Deansgrange to Kildare Street (possibly get off at Clare Street due to one way system). I haven't cycled since I was a child so looking for the safest/easier route even if longer or tips/junctions to be wary at.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess the rock road is the obvious option? i use it between the merrion gates and the bottom of newtownpark avenue; outbound it's fine, but inbound it's a bit tight past blackrock college and the bottom of trimleston.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

loly123 wrote: »
    I have bought a bike through the bike to work scheme and am looking for advice on route to take. I'm going to be cycling from Deansgrange to Kildare Street (possibly get off at Clare Street due to one way system). I haven't cycled since I was a child so looking for the safest/easier route even if longer or tips/junctions to be wary at.
    I'd also suggest getting some practice in if it's been so long. Go out and about locally just to get used to the environment and the possible pitfalls.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

loly123 wrote: »
    I haven't cycled since I was a child so looking for the safest/easier route even if longer or tips/junctions to be wary at.
    Asssume every driver and pedestrian don't know that you're there (no matter how much youre lit up) and will turn into you when you get near.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Asssume every driver and pedestrian don't know that you're there (no matter how much youre lit up) and will turn into you when you get near.
    Yup. Picked up a new bike on Saturday and was going down Charlemont Street fairly slowly and a black little hatchback just sped into the the cycle lane head on towards me to try get a parking spot. Luckily I was going slow so I had time to stop, they weren't planning on stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

I go from Deansgrange into Stephens Green everyday so almost identical to you.

Going into work, either the Rock Road or N11. N11 slightly quicker as you can zip past traffic on the bicycle lane for the most-part. Downside is that the bicycle lane isn't great! It's uphill from Deansgrange to the N11 at Stillorgan, but downhill / flat for most of the rest of the commute.

Rock Road, you're on the road for more of the route & it's a little slower. You can stay off the Rock Road by going into Blackrock park until Booterstown which might help.

On the way home, I always go for the Rock Road. N11 is obviously uphill for that direction so I avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 loly123

Thanks everyone for the tips. I've cycled the odd greenway in more recent years but definitely need to get used to cycling in traffic first. Hopefully will be able to try out the commuting routes in a week or so when I get more confidence. Appreciate your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Another mention for Blackrock Park to avoid that section of the Rock Road.

It's been 4 or so years since I commuted into the city centre regularly, but I found the Rock Road better than the N11. I generally only used the route through the park outbound. The N11 lanes I find grand until Donnybrook, but through Donnybrook is worse than anything on the Rock/ Merrion Road in my opinion. If I was using the N11, I'd cross at the Spar and down through Herbert Park personally and avoid the rest of the way in to the Green, and I'd consider myself pretty confident (if not competent)!

Can't really help with the City Centre - I guess you could go in via the Pepper Cannister/ Merrion Square if you were prepared to walk a block?

Advertisement