Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA trainee wages

Options
  • 29-05-2019 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I started working in as a trainee accountant last July. While working as a pharmacy technician I completed year one Accounting Technicians course and CAP1 through distance learning. I found it difficult to find a job in my local area of the midlands so when I eventually got offered a job my employer said I needed to change to ACCA which I was fine with as only needed to do 3 years work experience instead of 4 with CAI and I got 5 exemptions. I’m doing the FR exam next week and will have only five more exams to complete with ACCA then. I’m having my performance appraisal review next month and I am hoping for a pay rise. I am currently only getting the minimum wage and think I should be getting more but not sure how much. I knew from the beginning the wages wouldn’t be great while training so I am ok with that apart from the fact a new girl just started as a trainee with no experience and no exams started to date so I think it is unfair we are on the same wage when I have a lot more experience and responsibility now and also more exams completed. How much should a trainee in the midlands in my position be earning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hi Rachel

As you know ACCA is 13 exams in total. Just so I am clear so with the 5 exemptions have you completed another 3 ACCA exams?

When you have 9 done you get the Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business from ACCA. This leaves the 4 Professional level exams at that stage. Generally at this stage people use "Part Qualified Accountant" as their title instead of Trainee Accountant which is seen as a bit more junior.

In Industry Part Qualified goes between 28-50K depending on your prior experience, the company you are working for and where exactly you are in your exams.

Hope this was of some use.

*Dont be afraid to ask for more/haggle or make your case. Companies will always look to keep costs down and pay as little as possible within reason. What has worked for me was making it known I am looking for a raise rather than waiting to be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rachelh2193

Hi Rachel

As you know ACCA is 13 exams in total. Just so I am clear so with the 5 exemptions have you completed another 3 ACCA exams?

Generally when you have 9 done get the Advance Diploma in Accounting and Business from ACCA. This leaves the 4 Professional level exams at that stage. Generally at this stage people use "Part Qualified Accountant" as their title instead of Trainee Accountant which is generally a bit more junior.

In Industry Part Qualified goes between 28-50K depending on your prior experience, the company you are working for and where exactly you are in your exams.

Hope this was of some use.

*Dont be afraid to ask for more/haggle or make your case. Companies will always look to keep costs down and pay as little as possible within reason. What has worked for me was making it known I am looking for a raise rather than waiting to be offered.

Hi, thank you for your reply, yes I have done two since I started and I am doing one next week so I will have just five left to complete then (the 4 P papers and F8) Hoping to do F8 in September then I will technically be a part qualified accountant which is great to know as I wasn’t sure when the title would apply. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hi, thank you for your reply, yes I have done two since I started and I am doing one next week so I will have just five left to complete then (the 4 P papers and F8) Hoping to do F8 in September then I will technically be a part qualified accountant which is great to know as I wasn’t sure when the title would apply. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

The "Part Qualified Accountant" is not an official title. However on the ACCA site they (ACCA) recommend that you have completed the first 9 exams before using it as it should reflect a certainly level of knowledge and competence.

Having those 9 done and the Advanced Diploma in the bag certainly puts you in a much better negotiating place. Also if you keep an eye on Linkedin there are daily offers for Part Qualified Accountants that may be offering more than what your current role might offer.

Advertisement